Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Insecurity... An Ugly Disease

Firestone66

Insecurity seems like something that is fragile, but it is more dangerous and reckless if anything. The insecure person is not productive, and doesn't not have the confidence to offer anything. Criticism is the main tool of the insecure, it is more easy to look for flaws, since everyone has them and there is no such thing as perfection. The insecure are naturals at being pessimistic, producing doubt, creating fear, not doing anything productive. The insecure are dangerous since the confident are always their target. If anything the insecure are most dangerous to themselves, because they don't share their ideas, for they fear rejection. I feel sorry for anyone that bottles themselves up like this. Unfortunately this condition only produces bad energy that the insecure uses to what psychologists would call leveling. Since their will always be confident people, the insecure will always be, unless they decide to break free of their own self-restraining condition and stand up away from the shadows, to contribute something productive.

Edited by Firestone66

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Firestone66

• JGirl

• xYlvax

• Cybele

Is this a debate? :unsure2:

Vampire Heart wasn't good enough for you? I sense touch of insecurity here. No its not a debate, but it could be. I would like to see the insecure defend themselves.

Vampire Heart wasn't good enough for you? I sense touch of insecurity here. No its not a debate, but it could be. I would like to see the insecure defend themselves.

Oh, I see. I'm not insecure at all, why thank you. But, I can defend myself. :rofl:

Who exactly do you think is insecure? And what makes you think that an insecure person would defend themselves instead of running away and hiding? And if someone who wasn't insecure didn't bother to respond to your thread simply because they thought it was silly, would that still make them insecure?

That is a tough spot. Both the secure and the insecure could potentially (not)respond in exactly the same way. What would that indicate?

Or more importantly... what makes you so sure that whoever you think is insecure is actually insecure?

Who exactly do you think is insecure? And what makes you think that an insecure person would defend themselves instead of running away and hiding? And if someone who wasn't insecure didn't bother to respond to your thread simply because they thought it was silly, would that still make them insecure?

That is a tough spot. Both the secure and the insecure could potentially (not)respond in exactly the same way. What would that indicate?

Or more importantly... what makes you so sure that whoever you think is insecure is actually insecure?

Nice one. :tu:

Those are great questions, and they were indeed running through my mind. I just have trouble wording things like you here. :lol:

I believe that you are thinking too much in terms of black and white, all or nothing. I'm not sure that it's accurate to say that anyone is confident or insecure in all areas of life, so the implications you draw are not entirely true, either.

For example, a person can be socially inept and insecure, but a brilliant and confident mathematician or engineer whose work is revolutionary. Likewise, confidence is not always coupled with positive outcomes; serial killers are very confident people.

Edited by Cybele

A rubbish thread by Firestone 66, intelligent, productive, creative people are often unsure of themselves, dills are frequently very self confident, unjustifiably !

This is not directed towards anyone, its a statement. Actions speak louder than words and the insecure know who they are. From my experience the insecure are not always obvious, they usually have two faces. One fabricated face that hides all that they fear. Its not until the insecurities are exposed that the fabricated face crumbles. You must agree that there is nothing positive about being insecure. The insecure person is most dangerous to themselves and their actions affect those around them negatively.

This is not directed towards anyone, its a statement. Actions speak louder than words and the insecure know who they are. From my experience the insecure are not always obvious, they usually have two faces. One fabricated face that hides all that they fear. Its not until the insecurities are exposed that the fabricated face crumbles. You must agree that there is nothing positive about being insecure. The insecure person is most dangerous to themselves and their actions affect those around them negatively.

Keep telling yourself this stuff and you might even start to believe it ! :rolleyes:

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. – Bertrand Russell

Who exactly do you think is insecure? And what makes you think that an insecure person would defend themselves instead of running away and hiding?

An insecure person also defends themselves, have you ever seen a insecure person crack under pressure? have you ever seen how they react when their insecurities are exposed? A confident person doesn't care what others think, because they already accepted their flaws.

I believe that you are thinking too much in terms of black and white, all or nothing. I'm not sure that it's accurate to say that anyone is confident or insecure in all areas of life, so the implications you draw are not entirely true, either.

For example, a person can be socially inept and insecure, but a brilliant and confident mathematician or engineer whose work is revolutionary. Likewise, confidence is not always coupled with positive outcomes; serial killers are very confident people.

:tu:

A rubbish thread by Firestone 66, intelligent, productive, creative people are often unsure of themselves, dills are frequently very self confident, unjustifiably !

:tu:

You're assuming way too much Firestone. An insecure person can be among the sweetest, kindest, loving, and most caring person you could ever meet. The issue could simply be that they are insecure and shy, and therefore they are often misunderstood and rarely do people get to know them.

What you are describing could be the product of someone who is insecure, but it isn't the only result(s) of insecurity. You are choosing to discuss from a purely negative point of view, and while some insecure people may react that way, many others that are insecure simply lack being shown love and support in their life, or have gone through bouts of trauma that have caused them to struggle when it comes to feeling a sense of confidence about their every day affairs and their interactions with people.

Man you guys without faces really stick together, what is up with that? I will not deny your statement, but I will add that with positive leadership and support of the confident they can achieve those things. By themselves, well that would be a mess. No action, nothing but excuses, and the blame game is in full gear.

Oke i will start by saying I used to be very insecure. I could not talk to anyone and never spoke what i though. But i got out of that with a little help from a few persons who i am still gracefull for today. Being insecure doesnt have to be because u are looked down on. For me it was because I couldnt find who I was and how I wanted to be. Im not a bad person either. I try to help everyone I meet. Sure i got my flaws to, but who doesnt? Doesnt make me a lesser someone then anybody. Go ahead and put me down, after 10 years of that i really dont care anymore... So ask yourself now. Who is the insecure person you, the one who thinks like this, or me who fought himself of the ground?

Insecurity is not one of the Seven Deadly Sins is it ? :rolleyes: I'd have thought the person suffering from insecurity might merit a little more compassion than 'tough love' Firestone66 is dispensing. :)

In my opinion and experience, most people have insecurities in one form or another. It's just human. To me, the idea of making 'insecure people' sound inferior to people with self confidense is probably itself coming from an insecure place. Just give people good guidance whether they're insecure or not. Don't focus on peoples faults, just boost them up and you can't go wrong.

In my opinion and experience, most people have insecurities in one form or another. It's just human. To me, the idea of making 'insecure people' sound inferior to people with self confidense is probably itself coming from an insecure place. Just give people good guidance whether they're insecure or not. Don't focus on peoples faults, just boost them up and you can't go wrong.

Well said.

In other words, insecurity can be either positive or negative depending on an individual's experience and not just coming from a point of view. e9528.gif

This is not a very intellectual statement by friend. I'm sure you are here very confidently talking smack but if someone brought up your insecurities your "face would crumble". Every one has insecurities that live inside of them, even the most confident people in the world have something that eats at them. No one is perfect and we all have flaws, or things we consider flaws. People like you make others focus more on those things. I believe this is a manifestation of your insecurities, you know all bullies were bullied at some point right?? The way you speak of people with insecurities is heartless. You act like they are less of a person for it. You are wrong.

Edit to say... Very well said Evilution13!!

Edited by Dharma Deviant

Insecurity seems like something that is fragile, but it is more dangerous and reckless if anything. The insecure person is not productive, and doesn't not have the confidence to offer anything. Criticism is the main tool of the insecure, it is more easy to look for flaws, since everyone has them and there is no such thing as perfection. The insecure are naturals at being pessimistic, producing doubt, creating fear, not doing anything productive. The insecure are dangerous since the confident are always their target. If anything the insecure are most dangerous to themselves, because they don't share their ideas, for they fear rejection. I feel sorry for anyone that bottles themselves up like this. Unfortunately this condition only produces bad energy that the insecure uses to what psychologists would call leveling. Since their will always be confident people, the insecure will always be, unless they decide to break free of their own self-restraining condition and stand up away from the shadows, to contribute something productive.

If you have such a confidence in your views why didnt you address any of my points on your 66 thread? When questioned about how you arrive at your numbers you got very defensive and personal. You even resorted to posting on my profile instead of the thread. A very insecure act in my opinion since while posting on my profile (which I have left up) you closed your profile to posts without approval. How confinent in yourself does it make you look when you need to be able to edit people's opinions of your posts? You then felt the need to go onto other threads that I had participated in and personally attack me there. Those post have since been removed by the mod indicating they were not in line with the way things should be handled.

You seem to think questioning people and asking for verification of things is counter productive and a sign of insecurity. Do you not realize that that is the proccess that powers scientific progress? I would think the person that fears these questions and runs away from them are the people with confidence issues. They confuse criticisms of their ideas with criticisms of them themselves and act accordingly, insecurely.

If you have such a confidence in your views why didnt you address any of my points on your 66 thread? When questioned about how you arrive at your numbers you got very defensive and personal. You even resorted to posting on my profile instead of the thread. A very insecure act in my opinion since while posting on my profile (which I have left up) you closed your profile to posts without approval. How confinent in yourself does it make you look when you need to be able to edit people's opinions of your posts? You then felt the need to go onto other threads that I had participated in and personally attack me there. Those post have since been removed by the mod indicating they were not in line with the way things should be handled.

You seem to think questioning people and asking for verification of things is counter productive and a sign of insecurity. Do you not realize that that is the proccess that powers scientific progress? I would think the person that fears these questions and runs away from them are the people with confidence issues. They confuse criticisms of their ideas with criticisms of them themselves and act accordingly, insecurely.

All I did was point out your obvious tendencies. Yes I did check your profile to see your interests. Usually anyone that joins UM has an interest and this is displayed through their topics. I looked for your topics and you had none, yet you had 543 posts in less then two months. What does that mean? To me it's that you are afraid of your ideas being challenged, instead you take the easy position of being a sharp shooter on other peoples topics. Anyone can cut down ideas, but not everyone can build them. Your insecurities are of the worse kind, because they translate into actions of leveling, your solution to cure your insecurities are to make others feel just as rejected as you do. Still I ask my self why 543 posts and no topics? You are still piggy backing other peoples topics, and if this conversation encourages you to start a topic then I have done my part in pulling you out from the shadows. You are on UM, start a topic, some might agree with you and some might not. That is the nature of forums. Myself I will continue create topics just for joy of sharing, critics opinions don't faze me one bit, because really they are a dime a dozen. If you cannot handle the spotlight, which is what you get when you Make a topic, get off the stage. If you don't like like the show don't watch it. Creative minds are what built this world and discovered it for what it is, not the nit pickers.

Reading all this makes me think that Firestone either doesn't get out much, or he holds a grudge against someone whom he has deemed insecure. :rolleyes:

(Edit: Spelling)

Edited by AliveInDeath

All I did was point out your obvious tendencies. Yes I did check your profile to see your interests. Usually anyone that joins UM has an interest and this is displayed through their topics. I looked for your topics and you had none, yet you had 543 posts in less then two months. What does that mean? To me it's that you are afraid of your ideas being challenged, instead you take the easy position of being a sharp shooter on other peoples topics. Anyone can cut down ideas, but not everyone can build them. Your insecurities are of the worse kind, because they translate into actions of leveling, your solution to cure your insecurities are to make others feel just as rejected as you do. Still I ask my self why 543 posts and no topics? You are still piggy backing other peoples topics, and if this conversation encourages you to start a topic then I have done my part in pulling you out from the shadows. You are on UM, start a topic, some might agree with you and some might not. That is the nature of forums. Myself I will continue create topics just for joy of sharing, critics opinions don't faze me one bit, because really they are a dime a dozen. If you cannot handle the spotlight, which is what you get when you Make a topic, get off the stage. If you don't like like the show don't watch it. Creative minds are what built this world and discovered it for what it is, not the nit pickers.

Youve basically just restated your original post without addressing anyones points about it. Creative minds have built this world, but they have also been tempered with criticism of those creative ideas. Thats what sharpens them. As far as I know there is no rule saying I must start a topic. Im not sure why you believe starting a topic is such a sign of superiority. Why do you start them if you cannot handle the comments they generate? You can say you can handle them but your behavior proves otherwise as do your deleted thread posts. But Im sure you wont comment on that, or why you wont let unapproved posts go on your profile. Ignoring peoples comments and restating yours doesnt bolster your side, its a sign of desperation

Reading all this makes me think that Firestone either doesn't get out much, or he holds a grudge against someone whom he has deemed insecure. :rolleyes:

(Edit: Spelling)

Is there any reason both of those cant apply?