Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lowercase n: antithesis to Capital I

jugoso

I posted this thread http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=211146 last week about this Sesame Street song and what it means to you. I was overwhelmed by the interest. Not :no: ! It´s all good! :P

Anyway, I have a companion piece to add. Ryu, Trog and anyone else, what´s your take on this song? You may want to comment on the contrasts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24enegT7T7s

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bendy Demon

• jugoso

Top Posters In This Topic

You know..it kind of smacked of an "Adam and Eve" type thing. :P

Rocketship comes and gives the "n" a companion...not saying that is what it really is but it just appeared that way.

You know..it kind of smacked of an "Adam and Eve" type thing. :P

Rocketship comes and gives the "n" a companion...not saying that is what it really is but it just appeared that way.

Ok here we go.....

I´m gonna point out some of the contrasts and my interpretation with a little explanation:

Unlike capital I (where we all live), lowercase,(n), is a lonely & far off place and not

as accessible. Notice that (I) is really about the people and there relationship to the (I) and how they spend there time , whereas(n) is presented as nothing more than the letter itself. There are people in (I) but not in (n). This relates to our understanding of ourselves. Do you believe that your ego is "all" that you are or do you suspect perhaps another part that you can´t get your finger on?

Capital I is in the desert,dry and barren,(n) is surrounded by nature and animals.

In (I), the people are keeping themselves busy keeping their (I) looking good and feeling good about themselves, whereas (n) is quiet. Not busy doing something but rather feeling. "Staring into space" here to me would mean contemplating and wondering about life. What we do sometimes when we aren´t so busy doing other things (not like in (I)).

(n) feels very lonely whereas in Capital I (the people not the letter) feel pretty good about themselves.

Notice in (n) "the wind is very still" symbolizing looking inward and being quiet within yourself. It´s pretty hard to be busy with life (I) and contemplative at the same time.

So then the rocketship comes from the "sky" and "somethin" (not someone, again not represented by a person but by the thing itself) that is the same as it is(different shade).

So now (n) doesn´t feel lonely anymore. The wind is still still, here signifying that the lonliness is not appeased by keeping busy and having company but rather in just knowing that you are not alone "there are 2 that stand for sure".

At the end of capital I, the two retreat into it and close themselves off from the outside world. (n), there are hearts and stuff and they are out in the open and all lovey :wub:

In many things that I´ve read about the I Am concept, the I is generally referred to as the ego (exterior)with the AM representative of the spiritual side of life (interior).

So for me if (I) represents the ego, the part we are the most aware of and pay the most attention to (the outer shell), Lowercase(n) therefore would symbolize the spirit that lives within us that is difficult to access but that many suspect does lie there. So the spaceship coming from the sky would symbolize (fill in your deity here) touching you in a way that reassures you that you aren´t alone. You realize that you are not only a physical being but also have a spirit that resides within you

So then I thought "well why didn´t they use an (m)" then? And now I just noticed, when the camera pans out at the end the two nn´s together look make an m (nn=m). Awwwwwwwwwwwww! :yes:

Ok Ryu (and others) feel free to tell me what you think. And don´t feel shy to thrash me if you want.

I could be writing about this again in 6 months explaining how (n) is co-dependent and really needs to stop feeling sorry for herself and get on with life :lol:

Heh..I guess i didn't really read THAT much into the little cartoon except that it resembled, in a way, Adam and Eve.

One was lonely even though it had animals for companionship so the rocketship comes (could be construed as god) and gives the "n" a companion.

Of course as with the "Capital I" thing..one could even ask what the point is of polishing it and making it shiny if no one is around to see it?

But such a life of simply polishing ones image seems a bit boring..after all, deserts are not very inviting. Too much sand, heat, snakes...scorpions......

But then again the perceptions of a child are going to be far different than an adults perceptions which is not bad until one decides that the original intent of making the cartoons was somehow a sinister one and demands that everyone else agree with it. :hmm:

P.S..In the "Capitol I" song..it is THREE that retreat into the "I". One could even go so far as to assume that each little man represents different aspects of our personality and the ego is one of them.

Heh..I guess i didn't really read THAT much into the little cartoon except that it resembled, in a way, Adam and Eve.

One was lonely even though it had animals for companionship so the rocketship comes (could be construed as god) and gives the "n" a companion.

Of course as with the "Capital I" thing..one could even ask what the point is of polishing it and making it shiny if no one is around to see it?

But such a life of simply polishing ones image seems a bit boring..after all, deserts are not very inviting. Too much sand, heat, snakes...scorpions......

But then again the perceptions of a child are going to be far different than an adults perceptions which is not bad until one decides that the original intent of making the cartoons was somehow a sinister one and demands that everyone else agree with it. :hmm:

P.S..In the "Capitol I" song..it is THREE that retreat into the "I". One could even go so far as to assume that each little man represents different aspects of our personality and the ego is one of them.

Hi Ryu, Thanks for your response! :tu:

oohhhh, forgot they were three. You KNOW that would have found it´s way in there ;) .

I FULLY realize I am twisting everything in order for it to fit in with my theory. But isn´t that how we process all of our information? We attach significance (Spanish for meaning) to it and decide for ourselves what the meaning is for us. We use it if it fits in with our belief system or discard it as "wrong" if it doesn´t. In other words, don´t we attach meaning to everything based on our experience and knowledge rather than the world view of others?

Is meaning intrinsic (this=that) or subjective (this=whatever I truly believe it equals). For issues more black & white the latter may be difficult and you´ll probably run into rough opposition. My experience is that most of life happens in the "grey" zone, in which case the former becomes dogma and I don´t like people teliing me that what they say is true end-of-story.

Are the values that you attach to things static or do they change? My experience is they (must) change over time. The key factor here being the new knowledge you acquire between the two points. So does that mean you were wrong? Are you right now? What if in another 10 years you acquire new knowledge that puts you back into your original position? What is the truth? Does that mean that you were wrong to be right to be wrong?

From above:"intent of making the cartoons was somehow a sinister one and demands that everyone else agree with it."

What is the truth if intent of meaning and perceived meaning differ? The reality is that you both truly believe they are correct and will operate from that point. Can both of you be right? Can both be wrong? Do we need to take it to somebody else for them to decide who is right? And would that be the truth?

Are reality and truth the same?

I´m not so sure anymore if you can get to "truth" from reality.

Are reality and truth the same?

Hmm..interesting question.

As we go through life we acquire, hopefully, more knowledge which should change our views on many things or at least add to our understanding.

If we go through life holding the same views as we did when we were 12 then we haven't grown or learned a thing.

I think that there can be more than one way to interpret something and both can be right but maybe just not at the same time nor in the same sense or application.

However sometimes we can get so stuck and mired in our perceptions and assumptions that we forget that sometimes that pink bunny with the ice cream cone, for example, is just that..a pink bunny with an ice cream cone.

I don't know..right now I am rambling but I think it is great to be able to examine our perceptions about things and how they change as we mature. Sometimes though as we grow up, we end up being influenced by what other people say or think. Not that this is bad..often it is beneficial and is needed but sometimes it seems we forget how to think for ourselves or how to be flexible enough to say "Maybe it is and maybe it isn't".

In the case of the little animations..it could be that we are both right and maybe, just maybe..there might be kids who can pick up on the idea that the song and cartoon might have different messages or at least might make them think a bit.

It is sort of like the movie "The Matrix". Many people think it is just a cool, science fiction movie while others may realize that even though it is not saying we are trapped in some weird, virtual reality system but that the movie is trying to get us to realize our assumptions are being molded almost entirely by what other people tell us.

We are told what to think, what to feel, how to feel, how to view ourselves and others and so forth.

Maybe it even touched on quantum physics (gasp...the horrors).

Of course it is necessary to read between the lines in the movie and take certain things so literally but the message nonetheless did make me think.

What we see on the screen or papers or what we hear is rarely what it seems.

(end of aimless rant)