Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

PS4 / Xbox 720 Free to Play?

CRYSiiSx2

Just saw this on Youtube from Machinima, and I think it would be great.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't think I am going to upgrade.

PC gaming is far better in my opinion and I don't think consoles will even have a chance at contending directly with high end PCs.

• Like 3

Honestly, I don't think I am going to upgrade.

PC gaming is far better in my opinion and I don't think consoles will even have a chance at contending directly with high end PCs.

True, they never have and never will contend with PC.

And they were never meant to. Consoles have always been dedicated, closed gaming machines that one has easy access to. Plus, you may want to wish the new generation well. A booming console market means more innovation from publishing houses and developers. Granted, that doesn't always translate to PC releases, but an upswing market is better than no market, and like it or not consoles make up the vast majority of gaming revenue.

• Like 3

And they were never meant to. Consoles have always been dedicated, closed gaming machines that one has easy access to. Plus, you may want to wish the new generation well. A booming console market means more innovation from publishing houses and developers. Granted, that doesn't always translate to PC releases, but an upswing market is better than no market, and like it or not consoles make up the vast majority of gaming revenue.

Wasn't arguing against that. I mainly play consoles for the sole reason that sitting on my comfy couch beats being hunched over a desk in a computer chair. But as far as the gaming experience goes, putting some money in a decent PC that you can upgrade will always blow the consoles away. For instance, Battlefield 3 on PC is 100x better than playing on console. More precise aiming, 64 players, and more of everything that makes that game great.

• Like 1

The thing about PC and Console gaming is a matter of cost. A high-end PC will rip the insides out of any console. Period. However, a high-end PC will cost at least $2000 and in 12 months it will be nearly obsolete unless you start upgrading the hardware. Given a couple of years without an upgrade, and new PC games released now lag on your PC because of the demand on the system.

Compare this to a console. Buy it brand new on the day of release, and you're probably looking at $800. Wait six month, and you may be able to get it on special for $500. No need to upgrade. And in five years time, your console will play new release games with the same ease as it did on the day you first bought it.

Put it another way, the Xbox360 launched in late 2005. It's bee over seven years since it came out. Grab a PC that was deemed "high end" back in 2006, and try and play your latest 2013 PC game on it? Good luck.

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 4

The thing about PC and Console gaming is a matter of cost. A high-end PC will rip the insides out of any console. Period. However, a high-end PC will cost at least $2000 and in 12 months it will be nearly obsolete unless you start upgrading the hardware. Given a couple of years without an upgrade, and new PC games released now lag on your PC because of the demand on the system.

Compare this to a console. Buy it brand new on the day of release, and you're probably looking at $800. Wait six month, and you may be able to get it on special for $500. No need to upgrade. And in five years time, your console will play new release games with the same ease as it did on the day you first bought it.

Put it another way, the Xbox360 launched in late 2005. It's bee over seven years since it came out. Grab a PC that was deemed "high end" back in 2006, and try and play your latest 2013 PC game on it? Good luck.

high end pc will cost like 1000$ and would last at least few years before it's considered outdated

there is no so expensive parts can be used to high end gaming

GTX 460 graphic , decent core i5 proccessor , asus p8z77-v le plus " cheap and good " .. 8 GB of rams .

i think this is decent enough to run any game you can throw at ..

let alone the hidden power of overclocking , graphic , cpu , rams

gaming consoles are not that high end regarding what's used in them

it's that the games are optimized very well to make use of every bit of resources

while pc games are not

some games can be played through emulators with better quality than the original console .. it's amazing :D

• Like 1

high end pc will cost like 1000$ and would last at least few years before it's considered outdated

there is no so expensive parts can be used to high end gaming

On the other hand, I bought my Xbox 360 over 7 years ago for €400 and there's still games coming out for it.

There's a lot to be said for PC gaming, but there's also a lot to be said for owning a cheap maintenance free device for gaming. No need to worry about upgrading it, updating the drivers, etc.

I used to enjoy the idea of building my own PC from parts I bought online, upgrading it as I felt necessary and all that, but got bored with it. These days, I don't care that Skyrim would look better on a $1000 PC because it can run at higher resolution with all the graphical bells and whistles maxed out than on my Xbox.

Spending the extra money and effort isn't going to make my favourite games any more enjoyable for me. I'll make the exception for FPS games as I can't play them at all on a console. I can't aim for **** with a console gamepad. But it's also a genre I've gotten bored with.

It's a moot point anyway as my Xbox 360 died from it's second red ring of death recently. I've dug out my old PS2 to enjoy some gaming nostalgia.

• Like 3

Word is out that the new Xbox is called "Xbox One" which means basically saying this is a start of a new series. Hope it works out and becomes one of the best gaming systems around!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

On the other hand, I bought my Xbox 360 over 7 years ago for €400 and there's still games coming out for it.

There's a lot to be said for PC gaming, but there's also a lot to be said for owning a cheap maintenance free device for gaming. No need to worry about upgrading it, updating the drivers, etc.

I used to enjoy the idea of building my own PC from parts I bought online, upgrading it as I felt necessary and all that, but got bored with it. These days, I don't care that Skyrim would look better on a $1000 PC because it can run at higher resolution with all the graphical bells and whistles maxed out than on my Xbox.

Spending the extra money and effort isn't going to make my favourite games any more enjoyable for me. I'll make the exception for FPS games as I can't play them at all on a console. I can't aim for **** with a console gamepad. But it's also a genre I've gotten bored with.

It's a moot point anyway as my Xbox 360 died from it's second red ring of death recently. I've dug out my old PS2 to enjoy some gaming nostalgia.

*necro* I agree, i don't need to shell out thousands for a pretty looking game.visuals are not a sell point for me aha maybe if i was younger or somthing they would :yes::clap:

• Like 1

Seeing as a PC vs Console theme seems to be arising I thought I would chime in...

There is a very good argument that PC gaming provides the 'best experience' but its consoles for me all the way...

I do not want to waste 'gaming time' setting up my rig and researching and installing upgrades to keep myself up to date.

I want to hit the sofa, hit the power switch and play. My PS3 has let me do this for 7 years, I think it cost me £250 when I bought it and I have no plans on upgrading until late this year. Actually I have had to buy a new controller ;)

There may be advantages to PC gaming, but they do not apply to everyone.

• Like 2

Seeing as a PC vs Console theme seems to be arising I thought I would chime in...

There is a very good argument that PC gaming provides the 'best experience' but its consoles for me all the way...

I do not want to waste 'gaming time' setting up my rig and researching and installing upgrades to keep myself up to date.

I want to hit the sofa, hit the power switch and play. My PS3 has let me do this for 7 years, I think it cost me £250 when I bought it and I have no plans on upgrading until late this year. Actually I have had to buy a new controller ;)

There may be advantages to PC gaming, but they do not apply to everyone.

Agree with everything you've touched upon and for the same reasons! :rofl:

• Like 1