Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Pollution:the biggest killer on British roads


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 37,033 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:00 PM

www.telegraph.co.uk said:

Air pollution from traffic is killing vast numbers every year - and the problem is getting worse.

What is the biggest killer on our roads? It's not black ice, or drunk driving, or even badly installed accelerator pedals. In fact, it's air pollution and it's getting worse.According to the most recent official figures published back in 1998 up to 24,000 people in Britain die before their time every year as a result of air pollution caused by vehicles, compared with 2,600 killed in road accidents.

Yet EU researchers say that this figure could represent less than half of the true toll, given that new studies are increasingly linking long-term exposure to traffic pollution to a range of chronic diseases.

Posted Image Read more...


Posted Image

#2    MichaelW

MichaelW

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,523 posts
  • Joined:14 Nov 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nelson, New Zealand

  • Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:24 PM

I'm guessing all those who died from "pollution" related diseases had some underlying medical problems anyway. And did, I just read that the latest figures released where back in 1998? Most cars these days are much cleaner in terms of emissions. In fact, mostly air pollution comes from factories and homes with open fires, which I take are still in use in much of Britain?

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

#3    Mattshark

Mattshark

    stuff

  • Member
  • 16,985 posts
  • Joined:29 Dec 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, UK

  • Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

    If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:48 PM

View PostMichaelW, on 20 February 2010 - 09:24 PM, said:

I'm guessing all those who died from "pollution" related diseases had some underlying medical problems anyway. And did, I just read that the latest figures released where back in 1998? Most cars these days are much cleaner in terms of emissions. In fact, mostly air pollution comes from factories and homes with open fires, which I take are still in use in much of Britain?
Nope, traffic pollution is the main cause of pollution in the UK, especially because it is everywhere, unlike a lot of industrial pollution.

Open fires are extremely rare in the UK.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#4    stevewinn

stevewinn

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 8,231 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, England

  • Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:24 PM

View PostMattshark, on 20 February 2010 - 09:48 PM, said:

Nope, traffic pollution is the main cause of pollution in the UK, especially because it is everywhere, unlike a lot of industrial pollution.

Open fires are extremely rare in the UK.

well, i guess within 30 to 40 years 90% of Transport will be cleaner, if not totally clean. or maybe we can go back to horse and cart.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#5    Mattshark

Mattshark

    stuff

  • Member
  • 16,985 posts
  • Joined:29 Dec 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, UK

  • Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

    If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:26 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 21 February 2010 - 07:24 PM, said:

well, i guess within 30 to 40 years 90% of Transport will be cleaner, if not totally clean. or maybe we can go back to horse and cart.
:lol:

To be honest, we could probably make it cleaner than it is already now, it is getting the technology into the manufacture that takes a lot of the time. It is certainly better than it was 20 years ago.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#6    stevewinn

stevewinn

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 8,231 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, England

  • Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:38 PM

View PostMattshark, on 21 February 2010 - 07:26 PM, said:

:lol:

To be honest, we could probably make it cleaner than it is already now, it is getting the technology into the manufacture that takes a lot of the time. It is certainly better than it was 20 years ago.

remember not so long ago when lead was in petrol. well i remember seeing a autopsy and when the coroner took the lungs out the inside of the lung had what looked like pockmarks and in these marks was small bits of lead. that had built up in the persons lungs over time.so just goes to show the type of effect air pollution has and you don't really notice it.

Edited by stevewinn, 21 February 2010 - 07:39 PM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#7    Mattshark

Mattshark

    stuff

  • Member
  • 16,985 posts
  • Joined:29 Dec 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, UK

  • Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

    If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:54 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 21 February 2010 - 07:38 PM, said:

remember not so long ago when lead was in petrol. well i remember seeing a autopsy and when the coroner took the lungs out the inside of the lung had what looked like pockmarks and in these marks was small bits of lead. that had built up in the persons lungs over time.so just goes to show the type of effect air pollution has and you don't really notice it.
Aye, I think it is a reason we can all agree on to clean up our technology.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#8    MichaelW

MichaelW

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,523 posts
  • Joined:14 Nov 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nelson, New Zealand

  • Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:10 PM

Thing is is that those results were published back in 1998, so that means you are saying that pollution effects from vehicles are still the same levels as in 1998? I am aware that open fires are rare in the UK and I admit I was thinking about NZ on that one, but how can someone attibute a normal, fit and healthy person's death soley from car pollution alone? I also think you didn't read it entirely because I did say that a majority of those people may have had underlying health problems anyway, so one cannot attribute those deaths to healthy people. I read that article and nowhere in it did it state that there were any deaths aided by the pollution.

Also, why did it state that the smog clouds in Southern California were banished by the catalytic converter? Don't all European cars sold today and even when this study was conducted have CC's installed anyway?

It just seems a bit odd that the media are using twelve year old statistics to determine present pollution trends. Seems a bit biased in my opinion.

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

#9    Alien Being

Alien Being

    Psychic Spy

  • Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:11 PM

Maybe smog was bad 60 years ago but really?

In my city I dont notice any signs of pollution.


#10    MichaelW

MichaelW

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,523 posts
  • Joined:14 Nov 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nelson, New Zealand

  • Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:55 AM

That's because all the cars built since then are much, much cleaner than they were 12 years ago. It's just scare mongering as in someone saying: "You can't see it, but it's there."

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

#11    Mattshark

Mattshark

    stuff

  • Member
  • 16,985 posts
  • Joined:29 Dec 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, UK

  • Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

    If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:25 PM

View PostMichaelW, on 22 February 2010 - 04:55 AM, said:

That's because all the cars built since then are much, much cleaner than they were 12 years ago. It's just scare mongering as in someone saying: "You can't see it, but it's there."
Sorry but cars give out lots of poisons and particulates, unless you think walking through a cloud of benzine and carbon monoxide is perfectly healthy.

But hey you ignore the data all you like, I mean it is not like other studies recently have shown such things..........................



oh wait, they have
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2235230/
http://ehjournal.net/content/8/1/27
http://www.teamsofan...ung_functio.pdf
http://assets0.pubge...df/18380234.pdf
http://www.thelancet...1443-3/fulltext
http://www.scopus.co...bjW9ONSjpjc7A:2
http://arno.unimaas....w.cgi?fid=14556

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#12    Mattshark

Mattshark

    stuff

  • Member
  • 16,985 posts
  • Joined:29 Dec 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, UK

  • Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

    If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:26 PM

View PostAlien Being, on 21 February 2010 - 11:11 PM, said:

Maybe smog was bad 60 years ago but really?

In my city I dont notice any signs of pollution.
It is not about smog, it is about other pollutants, a lot of studies have shown that walking in any area with heavy traffic is very bad for your health. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#13    Raptor

Raptor

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,085 posts
  • Joined:08 Apr 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:54 PM

View PostMattshark, on 22 February 2010 - 01:26 PM, said:

It is not about smog, it is about other pollutants, a lot of studies have shown that walking in any area with heavy traffic is very bad for your health. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Living in London, I have to wonder about the number of people that can be seen jogging out in the open air alongside an enormous crawl of clunking and wheezing traffic.  :lol:

Edited by Raptor, 22 February 2010 - 01:55 PM.


#14    Mattshark

Mattshark

    stuff

  • Member
  • 16,985 posts
  • Joined:29 Dec 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, UK

  • Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

    If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:03 PM

View PostRaptor, on 22 February 2010 - 01:54 PM, said:

Living in London, I have to wonder about the number of people that can be seen jogging out in the open air alongside an enormous crawl of clunking and wheezing traffic.  :lol:
I can imagine! It is bad enough in Liverpool and Belfast!

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#15    SolarPlexus

SolarPlexus

    Warrior of Light

  • Member
  • 3,428 posts
  • Joined:28 Sep 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Serbia

  • .....This moment contains all moments.....

    ...You dont have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.....

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

pollution :( and also STOP WHALING !

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."
Galileo Galilei
Posted Image
"Who never walks save where he sees men's tracks makes no discoveries."J.G. Holland




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users