Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Taxing the Rich

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#16    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,917 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:00 AM

View Postninjadude, on 08 November 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

Wars don't pay for themselves. In fact, the republicans kept the wars off the books. So yes, we will be paying for them for some time. Bush sold you down the river.

In the mind of the delerious, maybe:

Bush expressed relief that the measure provided $162 billion to fund military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan without setting troop-withdrawal timelines, which he has opposed.
"This bill shows the American people that even in an election year, Republicans and Democrats can come together to stand behind our troops and their families," he said.
Congress approved the measure after Democrats dropped efforts to impose timelines for troop withdrawals from Iraq in the face of a White House veto threat. They did, however, win concessions on their priorities to modernize the World War II-era GI Bill, which provides educational opportunities for millions of veterans, and to extend unemployment benefits.

Source - L.A. Times

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#17    Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Dirt Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

• Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

View PostHarte, on 10 November 2012 - 02:00 AM, said:

Source - L.A. Times

Harte

That link kind of proves Ninja's argument. 5 years into the war they authorize a bill to pay a tiny fraction of the worthless wars' continued cost. And where did the money come from..??

#18    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,978 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

View PostHarte, on 10 November 2012 - 02:00 AM, said:

in 2008 sure. an election year.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#19    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,322 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

The smartest and most fair tax would be a tax on financial transactions on Wall Street, as some European jurisdictions apparently do.  Just 1% on those many many transactions could generate several billion a year, and maybe cut down on some of the gambling that goes on there.

#20    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,978 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 10 November 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

The smartest and most fair tax would be a tax on financial transactions on Wall Street, as some European jurisdictions apparently do.  Just 1% on those many many transactions could generate several billion a year, and maybe cut down on some of the gambling that goes on there.

I'd elect you president for that idea!!

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#21    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,218 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

All you really would need to do is tax 1 cent on every high frequency transaction, that would kill a dozen birds with one stone.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#22    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,685 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 10 November 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

All you really would need to do is tax 1 cent on every high frequency transaction, that would kill a dozen birds with one stone.
Wow...your math really sucks...no seriously...it does...

...According to IRS statistics, roughly 2 percent of U.S. households have an income of $250,000 and above. By the way, $250,000 per year hardly qualifies one as being rich. It's not even yacht and Learjet money. All told, households earning $250,000 and above account for 25 percent, or $1.97 trillion, of the nearly $8 trillion of total household income. If Congress imposed a 100 percent tax, taking all earnings above $250,000 per year, it would yield the princely sum of $1.4 trillion. That would keep the government running for 141 days, but there's a problem because there are 224 more days left in the year.

Link

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#23    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,218 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

View Postjoc, on 10 November 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

Wow...your math really sucks...no seriously...it does...

...According to IRS statistics, roughly 2 percent of U.S. households have an income of $250,000 and above. By the way, $250,000 per year hardly qualifies one as being rich. It's not even yacht and Learjet money. All told, households earning $250,000 and above account for 25 percent, or $1.97 trillion, of the nearly $8 trillion of total household income. If Congress imposed a 100 percent tax, taking all earnings above $250,000 per year, it would yield the princely sum of $1.4 trillion. That would keep the government running for 141 days, but there's a problem because there are 224 more days left in the year.

Link

Nice, and that has to do what with high frequency transactions...?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#24    joc

joc

• 12,685 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 10 November 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

Nice, and that has to do what with high frequency transactions...?
No it has to do with Taxing the Rich...
and...huh?
Wow, I totally misread your post...nevermind...wait...
are you talking about what is also known as a Value Added Tax?  I would be in favor of that...but only if...at the same time they eliminated the Income Tax.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#25    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,243 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

Taxes for everybody are set to rise Jan. 1 due to the expiration of the Bush tax rates and other measures. That, combined with the triggering of automatic defense and domestic spending cuts, amount to what is known in Washington as the "fiscal cliff" -- an austerity blow so severe that a Congressional Budget Office report warned this week that it would cause a recession and drive unemployment up to 9.1 percent.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz2Bs1vFh3g

I guess no body really wants to worked anymore:)

Edited by docyabut2, 11 November 2012 - 12:53 AM.

#26    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,917 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:09 AM

View PostMr. Smith, on 10 November 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

That link kind of proves Ninja's argument. 5 years into the war they authorize a bill to pay a tiny fraction of the worthless wars' continued cost. And where did the money come from..??

Read closely.

"They" are Republicans and Democrats.

Ninja claimed the Republicans "kept the war off the books" when in fact it was mostly a bipartisan decision to do that.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#27    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,246 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:40 AM

View Postdocyabut2, on 11 November 2012 - 12:50 AM, said:

Taxes for everybody are set to rise Jan. 1 due to the expiration of the Bush tax rates and other measures. That, combined with the triggering of automatic defense and domestic spending cuts, amount to what is known in Washington as the "fiscal cliff" -- an austerity blow so severe that a Congressional Budget Office report warned this week that it would cause a recession and drive unemployment up to 9.1 percent.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz2Bs1vFh3g

I guess no body really wants to worked anymore:)
I say GOOD!! If Obama and the Boyz need to fix this, then they will be forced to Bipartisanship. Maybe that will bust the idiot dam that has been keeping the overly proud from working on the (50% Republican) nations business. If the taxes and cuts go into effect, it will 100% fall on Obama, as all of those taxes and cuts were signed off on his Watch. Maybe 2008 was Bush's Recession, but 2013 will be Obama's Recession.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#28    joc

joc

• 12,685 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 11 November 2012 - 04:40 AM, said:

I say GOOD!! If Obama and the Boyz need to fix this, then they will be forced to Bipartisanship. Maybe that will bust the idiot dam that has been keeping the overly proud from working on the (50% Republican) nations business. If the taxes and cuts go into effect, it will 100% fall on Obama, as all of those taxes and cuts were signed off on his Watch. Maybe 2008 was Bush's Recession, but 2013 will be Obama's Recession.
No it won't be.  You know this guy..it is a never ending blame game...the story line will always be:  Bush destroyed the nation so badly not even Obama could fix it.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#29    Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Dirt Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

• Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

View PostHarte, on 11 November 2012 - 03:09 AM, said:

Read closely.

"They" are Republicans and Democrats.

Ninja claimed the Republicans "kept the war off the books" when in fact it was mostly a bipartisan decision to do that.

Harte

Ah. I stand corrected.

#30    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,387 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

That will do so much considering we're $16 trillion in debt.  But sure, let's go ahead and tax one of the few economic drivers in this country that seems to be working.

The thing that I find comical about this discussion is that how the Obama Administration actually consider $250K a year wealthy.  And here's the rub, when these taxes are implemented and they do NOTHING other than feed the Washington spending pig, who will we then go after?  Who will be "wealthy" then?  Eventually we'll be talking about $100K a year being wealthy.  And then pretty soon anyone that has more than you will be considered "wealthy".

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users