Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Phobias

EyeKandi15

I have recently realised that there are a lot of phobias out there. Which one do you think is the weirdest phobia or which kind do you have? I personally think the stupidest phobia is homophobia. Sorry if I have offended anyone but, I just don't understand how someone can be homophobic. Gays are people too.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sassages

• Lotus Flower

• EyeKandi15

• Mademoiselle

I have recently realised that there are a lot of phobias out there. Which one do you think is the weirdest phobia or which kind do you have? I personally think the stupidest phobia is homophobia. Sorry if I have offended anyone but, I just don't understand how someone can be homophobic. Gays are people too.

The one I think is the weirdest is the one which is most common - the phobia of other people...

Peculiar eh :blink:

The one I think is the weirdest is the one which is most common - the phobia of other people...

Peculiar eh :blink:

I have a phobia which is very politically incorrect, and it has caused me some embarrassing situations, but I can't help being afraid of what I'm afraid of, it stems from a childhood incident and has just got worse over the years.

I think if someone has a phobia and another person doesn't, it seems like it's always going to be a weird phobia.

I know lots of people afraid of spiders whereas I'm not afraid of them, and to me their phobia, although I acknowledge it and try not to frighten them more as I'm nice like that(!), seems very weird as I think spiders are quite cool little critters.

Weirdest phobia I have ever heard of is a fear of wooden lollipop sticks... go figure.

Weirdest phobia I have ever heard of is a fear of wooden lollipop sticks... go figure.

Now that has to be top of the list :lol:

I have a spider phobia. It can be quite violent at times.

I also have a fear of water, not like water itself, but drowning in it. Aquaphobia. I've been like that since a certain incident when I was a kid.

Oh, by the way, I don't want to turn your thread into a dicsussion about homophobia in general, but a quick question for you if you don't mind:

do you think homophobia is a true phobia (as in, a sufferer will not go near their fear, like people who are phobic of spiders), or would you say homophobia isn't a fear per se, more of a dislike/lack of understanding and acceptance.

Homophobia should literally be an uncontrollable fear of homosexuals and of homosexuality, but the term is generally used for a negative and contemptuous attitude to same-sex sexual relationships and to those who participate in them.

I know people whom say they are homophobic as they do not like the 'concept' of gay, but they're not actually scared of homosexuals.

I have a spider phobia. It can be quite violent at times.

I also have a fear of water, not like water itself, but drowning in it. Aquaphobia. I've been like that since a certain incident when I was a kid.

I think a lot of phobias stem from childhood.

I'm sorry you're scared of spiders, I have a friend who is absolutely petrified of them so much so it affects her every day life and her ability to do certain things, so I'm with you all the way on the spiders.

Yeah i always found that an odd one and my mother in law has it so the kids wind her up scraping the sticks along their teeth :w00t:

My personal phobia is PODOPHOBIA- feet , i hate them .cant stand anyone in my house without shoes or socks on . wont even look at someone elses feet . I can't have bare feet any where near me . I have been physically sick on more than one occasion at the mere sight of them . and cant go swimming as i know people walk around bare footed .

But the wierdest phobia i know of well its wierd to me . Is that my mother since being 15 has had a phobia of chocolate OMG how can anyone be phobic of chocolate . we were only allowed to have it if she was in another room and she wont even buy it wrapped . I dont know if that has a name though i think she may be the only one alive LOL . me i lurrvee choccy :yes:

SS79 x x x

Edited by spiritual_soul79

Now that has to be top of the list :lol:

Yeah, I read it in the Sun problem page last week lol and this phobia was really messing up this poor woman's life.

[quote name='Sassages'

I can't stand wooden popsicle sticks, If I even think about my tongue touching it the hairs on my arm stand up.

Oh, by the way, I don't want to turn your thread into a dicsussion about homophobia in general, but a quick question for you if you don't mind:

do you think homophobia is a true phobia (as in, a sufferer will not go near their fear, like people who are phobic of spiders), or would you say homophobia isn't a fear per se, more of a dislike/lack of understanding and acceptance.

Homophobia should literally be an uncontrollable fear of homosexuals and of homosexuality, but the term is generally used for a negative and contemptuous attitude to same-sex sexual relationships and to those who participate in them.

I know people whom say they are homophobic as they do not like the 'concept' of gay, but they're not actually scared of homosexuals.

I think homophobia has taken on a lot of meanings. As I understand, the original meaning was simply that you were afraid of homosexuals and the concept of homosexuals but, I think it's now most often used to describe people who dislike homosexuals.

Phobia's???? That just fear-based thinking based on a particular individual. I wouldn't consider any of them really weird cuz that falls too much into the "judging" category. I do empathize with some BUT I do not think it's okay for, let's say, a homophobic to do mean things to a homosexual based on THEIR own fears... that's just cowardly and trying to self-empower; still not changing the existing phobia. Am I making sense?

Phobia's???? That just fear-based thinking based on a particular individual. I wouldn't consider any of them really weird cuz that falls too much into the "judging" category. I do empathize with some BUT I do not think it's okay for, let's say, a homophobic to do mean things to a homosexual based on THEIR own fears... that's just cowardly and trying to self-empower; still not changing the existing phobia. Am I making sense?

Yeah, I understand what you mean.

Yeah i always found that an odd one and my mother in law has it so the kids wind her up scraping the sticks along their teeth :w00t:

My personal phobia is PODOPHOBIA- feet , i hate them .cant stand anyone in my house without shoes or socks on . wont even look at someone elses feet . I can't have bare feet any where near me . I have been physically sick on more than one occasion at the mere sight of them . and cant go swimming as i know people walk around bare footed .

But the wierdest phobia i know of well its wierd to me . Is that my mother since being 15 has had a phobia of chocolate OMG how can anyone be phobic of chocolate . we were only allowed to have it if she was in another room and she wont even buy it wrapped . I dont know if that has a name though i think she may be the only one alive LOL . me i lurrvee choccy :yes:

SS79 x x x

Fear of CHOCOLATE???

That can be mighty handy when on a diet :o

(Just being positive) :lol:

chainsaws

chalk

toes

spiders

moths

most bugs

deers

cows

dogs

big cats

ect,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Geckos!! Growing up I never saw one, ever. But, in the last 5 years they have slowly started to invade my city and they're HORRID!! They are a pinkish flesh color and you can see right through them and their little pulsing organs. Gaaaaaaaaaaah, they are SOOOO disgusting. I can't handle them. Period. Even talking about them or typing this right now, I get goose pimples, a chill runs up my spine and I start squirming around. If one gets near me I will revert to the age of 6 and start crying. For real.

Also, caterpillars, little green tree frogs and maggots. DISGUSTING. Same reaction as above.

On the other hand I love spiders and snakes. Go figure.

I think the word phobia is used too readily to describe a dislike to something or whatever.

Like my friend said she had a phobia of escalators in the shopping centre/mall...not a problem, we'd take the stairs or lift. But then someone else I knew through a different friend said the same thing, seeing as we had never had a problem with my friend and her phobia we didn't think much of it...but this girl literally woudn't go to certain places JUST IN CASE there was an escalator there.

A phobia is an unrational fear of something, and will affect your life quite dramatically. So, for me, Homophobia is just a fancy name for people who can't or don't want to understand or relate to anyone who is gay. I don't like cheese but it doesn't mean I can say I have a phobia for cheese.

I think I am developing a phobia of housework though :D

<a href="http://www.vincentchow.net/847/90-weirdest-phobias" target="_blank">http://www.vincentchow.net/847/90-weirdest-phobias</a>

Just thought I'd share!

Some of my favs:

"28. Dextrophobia: Fear of objects at the right side of the body"

"69. Ophthalmophobia: Fear of opening one’s eyes"

"90. Xanthophobia: Fear of the color yellow" < Is this what the Green Lantern had?

:blink: Ophthalmophobia is one phobia that is now doing my head in :o

I wonder how an ophthalmophobic gets on in life???

I have cynophobia. I'm very afraid of dogs.