Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Where did the name - America come from?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#16    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,237 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 04 July 2013 - 01:39 AM, said:

I have no idea and some authority will need to address the question.  One thing, though, is I am glad the continents aren't named after Columbus, even though technically they should be.  That man was a brutal tyrant.

There are a few places that still are named after the guy. Even a country.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#17    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,237 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostF3SS, on 04 July 2013 - 04:56 AM, said:

Amerigo Vespucci is certainly what my text books taught US.

And the most likely candidate. But we will never know. Maybe somebody should have asked the natives just as we did almost everywhere else when looking for a suitable name (yes, there are other exceptions, mostly corrected by history now)

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#18    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

In school ,we were taught Amerigo Vespucci . I've never heard of any other source of the name .

Miss me?

#19    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,083 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Wherever it came from, I'm glad it did because MERCA fits so much better on a baseball cap than LUMBIA does.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#20    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

I've read an old account that there could possibly be a Norse connection to the name, since the name apparently appears before Amerigo arrived in America. Ill have to see if I can dig that source up later. :) cheers

#21    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,806 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:41 AM

Who coined 'United States of America'? Mystery might have intriguing answer

Historians have long tried to pinpoint exactly when the name 'United States of America' was first used and by whom. A new find suggests the man might have been George Washington himself.

http://www.csmonitor...answer/(page)/2

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#22    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,623 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:21 AM

I don't know who coined it.  I know in the late eightteen hundreds they tried to change it to the united states of the world.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#23    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

Yea -- that is a problem.  Why do countries in their "official" names have to be so long.  Why can't it be, "New Zealand" rather than "the Commonwealth of New Zealand" (or whatever it really is).  Some countries regally get peculiar and bizarre that way, like "Cote d'Ivoire" or "The People's Republic of Vietnam."  "Britain" should surely be enough instead of, "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland."

The US is a particular problem since Canada and Mexico and Brazil and so on are all "America."  I vote for "Yankeeland."

#24    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

• Such an ugly feeling that won't leave.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:41 AM

We could have been the Confederate States of America.

After our Independence we called ourselves Freedonians so could have also been Fredon or some variant of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedonia

Usono is what we are called in Epseranto. A language which Hitler hated fyi.

Atlantis is a pretty name.

The Progressive States of Columbia works for me.

Not everyone is open to alternative names but for the few who are what can you guys come up with as in names we could have been? Or could still be?

Edited by The world needs you, 05 July 2013 - 04:42 AM.

#25    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,272 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:54 AM

View PostThe world needs you, on 05 July 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

Not everyone is open to alternative names but for the few who are what can you guys come up with as in names we could have been? Or could still be?

The Divided States of America

Edited by acidhead, 05 July 2013 - 04:55 AM.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#26    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,623 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:56 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 05 July 2013 - 04:28 AM, said:

Yea -- that is a problem.  Why do countries in their "official" names have to be so long.  Why can't it be, "New Zealand" rather than "the Commonwealth of New Zealand" (or whatever it really is).  Some countries regally get peculiar and bizarre that way, like "Cote d'Ivoire" or "The People's Republic of Vietnam."  "Britain" should surely be enough instead of, "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland."

The US is a particular problem since Canada and Mexico and Brazil and so on are all "America."  I vote for "Yankeeland."

You have it slightly wrong.  The british use the long name because it included more than england.  England is just england.  Britain includes weells and scoutland.  Great britian in cludes northern ireland.  The british empire includes under british rule.  The british commonwealth is designed to give the appearnce of freedom from the empire.  Great britian can't feed itself hence the commonwealth

There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#27    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,237 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

View Postacidhead, on 05 July 2013 - 04:54 AM, said:

The Divided States of America

... with incapable politicians unable to compromise.

about me

#28    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

View Postdanielost, on 05 July 2013 - 04:56 AM, said:

You have it slightly wrong.  The british use the long name because it included more than england.  England is just england.  Britain includes weells and scoutland.  Great britian in cludes northern ireland.  The british empire includes under british rule.  The british commonwealth is designed to give the appearnce of freedom from the empire.  Great britian can't feed itself hence the commonwealth
I'm sorry but I don't have it wrong, not even slightly, but you certainly have it wrong in thinking the purpose of the commonwealth is to feed Britain.  There are two major islands, Ireland and Great Britain, that make up the "British Isles," along with a bunch of smaller islands.  I know why it was called the UK, my point was that nation names don't have to be so pretentious.

#29    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,623 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 05 July 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

... with incapable politicians unable to compromise.

In order to compromise both sides have to be willing.  The democrats aren't willing to do so.  Reid won't let any republican bills or amendments to come up to a vote.  The president is side stepping the congress, very much against the constitution.  The supreme court wants to look good to the people.  No one is following the constitution, although the republicans are closer than anyone else.

#30    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,623 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 05 July 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

I'm sorry but I don't have it wrong, not even slightly, but you certainly have it wrong in thinking the purpose of the commonwealth is to feed Britain.  There are two major islands, Ireland and Great Britain, that make up the "British Isles," along with a bunch of smaller islands.  I know why it was called the UK, my point was that nation names don't have to be so pretentious.

Except for the bitish. And you are very wrong on england being able to feed itself.  England is nij bigger than delawer in size. I don't know howmany millions live there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users