Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ouija boards sold as "toys" - a good idea ?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#76    Rob Awesome

Rob Awesome

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

• If we don't have an apocolypse soon I'll have to find work

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

View PostParanormalcy, on 09 July 2010 - 05:53 AM, said:

However I do not agree that boards = knives in any meaningful, objective way, only in a metaphoric, abstract and faith/superstition-based aspect, based in hyperbole.

You've never been poked in the eye with a flying monopoly board by a sore-losing brother.  Though you are right, not as damaging as a blade but a weapon none the less. :)

The "mean to"s make an unhappy one

#77    zipzo

zipzo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

View PostRob Awesome, on 20 July 2010 - 01:57 PM, said:

You've never been poked in the eye with a flying monopoly board by a sore-losing brother.  Though you are right, not as damaging as a blade but a weapon none the less. :)
In the same vein you could say that pillows can be used as weapons. Ever been hit really hard with a pillow? It's not all that nice if you're hit hard enough.

Knives are hardly a useful comparison because the purpose of knives is to cut things, which runs along the lines of causing pain to another human being if such a thing were to be inflicted. The monopoly board's only purpose is to sit on a table and be a board, which causes no harm.

What you are talking about is intentions of the person itself to cause harm, in which case, you could make the argument for for any object in existence to be used as a weapon.

Which brings myself to my first point, it's not the board, it's the people who believe they are buddies with the demons who are the dangerous part.

#78    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,973 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:39 AM

View PostDrayk, on 20 July 2010 - 09:26 AM, said:

I apologize if I offend anyone, but these boards are popular for the exact reason this is even an article in the first place.

Do you know why the experience is only as good as the people you are playing with? That's all it is, the people you are playing with. There have been many sorts of myth busting shows, even Pen & Teller, completely demystifying the Ouija Board in more ways than you can begin to count, but largely none of it will ever mean a thing to the desperate believers because they will just ignore the evidence anyway.

The center piece is moved completely by the people playing the game. There is absolutely nothing you can say to refute this, and no amount of anecdotal nonsense you believe proves it does work, because that is precisely how the board was engineered. It's just a smart toy. It's brilliant really.

If you so fervently stick to the presumption that you are actually contacting spirits, I would like you to try a few things...

- Try blindfolding everyone and playing with the board upside down. Guess what happens when you ask a yes or no question? Just guess.
- It requires that you play with at minimum 2 people, and that both people do not put any extra force on the piece. Is this really so hard to understand? They advertised it as a way to contact spirits and dead people, so 11 times out of 10 people are playing because they want it to work. When you are playing with 3+ friends and you see that the piece is moving towards no, but you want it to be yes...try putting the SMALLEST bit of push towards yes, don't push it all the way, just give it a small nudge about a centimeter in that direction...guess what - everyone will play in to it and push right along with you it will not hastily retrace that 1 centimeter of flogged distance to go back to no, people will be convinced that answer is already yes, and to yes it will slide.

I've even purchased mine own to study it myself. I've played it with all sorts of people, tried all sorts of things, asked the insane range of questions. The game works how it's supposed to, people are just gullible. You can just google this kind of stuff and find all sorts of explanations and scientific reasoning behind the "function" of the board, it's not hard.

Case and point, Ouija boards are not dangerous, the people who use them thinking they get to chat with demons - are.

Amen Brotha ! Posted ImagePosted Image

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#79    Sparkx

Sparkx

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:52 AM

They've been sold in toy stores for years!!...fyi. But I personally don't think it's a great idea. Like someone said kids should be learning monopoly. Or they should get Candyland.  :)

#80    Voyager10

Voyager10

Bass City Roller

• 2,374 posts

• "The light in the window
    Is a crack in the sky
    A stairway to darkness
    In the blink of an eye"
    -Ozzy Osbourne

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

I used to see this ad when I was a kid:

Posted Image

http://beam.to/dreamjournal
No matter how I try I find my
way into the same old jam

-Led Zeppelin

#81    purplepsyche

purplepsyche

Astral Projection

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

It tells you  what the manufacturer, U.S. Games I think, and the company that also manufactures many tarot decks as well, thinks about this product. As in, it's a game and not to be taken seriously. Hasbro makes a glow in the dark Ouija, so that both adults and kids on sleepover can talk to spirits in the night. Ouija has also expanded into other formats as well, including a downloadable version. So that tells you just how serious it all is.
I'm waiting for the nifty key chain variety complete with dangling planchette. Though it would probably get twisted around one of my keys and be lost forever. Then how do I yap at great uncle Fred?  :rofl:

You can always make your own board. Those who would prefer a foreign language ouija, which is a good idea because it expands the retail market demographic, would then have the optimal selection of languages available to them.

It may also be noted that the movement of the planchette by the questioners is due to the ideomotor effect. As, everyone involved believes to some degree or other that this board thing works. That thought can affect their subconscious and thereby effect the movement of the planchette itself.

And then there is the old legend about how using the Ouija board opens a portal for negative energies to enter into this realm. So that a stylized ritual need be employed in order to surround the users with the white light of protection. It all sets up a very spooky atmosphere preceding sitting down with the board. And yet, if it was that easy to open a gateway to evil spirits, using a mass produced laminated cardboard toy and plastic planchette, the after life must be very boring for souls to think a game and curious mortals who've existed on this planet in the flesh since our flesh first arrived, is worthy of acting as a veritable door bell so as to ring their attention go back where they came from and answer tedious questions that no longer mean anything to them, nor would be anything the disembodied could relate to since they're no longer of a mind.

Really though, it's a matter of simple reason. Would a spirit, if it did exist and care to hang around this plane of existence, even know how to connect with it and it's communication avenues? Would it take the time, have the patience, which are all human characteristics, to link to human hands and channel it's related thoughts to those questioners while giving a care to take the time to spell it out for them one letter at a time, or in "Yes" or "No" phrases?

They're outta here! Why would a spirit care to say a word now, just because people still alive need guidance from anonymous dead sources? When they could otherwise seek it out face to face with people they can relate to at least on a human level?

Save your money. Unless of course you're planning an adults only Ouija party and serving alcohol. That can be a laugh riot watching the affect of spirits on spirit. ^_^

#82    UFO_Monster

UFO_Monster

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

• What looks spooky is not always scary. What looks cute is not always cuddly.

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

Like they'll fly off shelves? :rolleyes:

Posted Image
UFOs aren't always the alien's spacecraft...sometimes they are the aliens.

#83    misty55

misty55

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

Stay away from them, you can unleash a nasty spirit.

#84    purplepsyche

purplepsyche

Astral Projection

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:38 AM

View Postmisty55, on 13 March 2011 - 05:40 PM, said:

But in the age of "green" and humanity wouldn't that be a good thing?

PeUNS
     Posted Image      (People for the ethical Unleashing of Nasty Spirits) :lol::P

#85    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:51 AM

Yes, the evil spirits in league with Parker Toys!

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#86    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,973 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:58 AM

No you can't , I tried......

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#87    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:09 AM

View PostSakari, on 14 March 2011 - 01:58 AM, said:

Damn it, that is my evil plan ruined then <_<

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#88    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,973 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:22 AM

View PostMattshark, on 14 March 2011 - 02:09 AM, said:

Damn it, that is my evil plan ruined then <_<

Going to have to go to plan B now.....

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#89    nessuna

nessuna

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

• Have we found extraterrestrials yet?

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:02 AM

But ouija boards are toys!  Like tarot cards are just playing cards.  (Does anyone realize they actually still play card games with them in Europe?)
Several of us girls would have pyjama parties every so often and stay up all night summoning all kind of "spirits" in my bedroom with my ouija board.  Turns out some of the "spirits" weren't even dead, though.   :unsure2:
Anyway I haven't been possessed yet, some years later.   :devil:

+++Lisa+++

#90    purplepsyche

purplepsyche

Astral Projection

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:48 PM

View PostSakari, on 14 March 2011 - 01:58 AM, said:

Maybe you succeeded without even knowing it. That could explain Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin. (OK, must stop nasty visual of their love child now. Posted Image  )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users