Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Europe?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

#61    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

• I'll write something pithy here later, for now just use it to advertise your band.

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:35 PM

If those are your beliefs then be proud of them and keep them. Just don't be mad if others don't agree. The bBible says you'll suffer for your faith, so just let the negative comments roll off your back. At the same time the more you try to push people into believing like you the more resistant to you they'll become. You gotta' live and let live. Everyone has to do thier own thing, so let them do it...

I didn't squeel on you BTW, I enjoy a good joke as long as it's not Spamming. I think you just picked a bad time to do it. Saruman and 4 Mods were online at the same time. It only took me 2 minutes to figure out it was you,they probably saw it even faster.. tongue.gif  

#62    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:40 PM

Hell, was a creation by the church back in it's "conquering days" to scare people into converting.  They took the name from the Norse goddess Hel.  She was keeper to the Viking underworld, dead people hang out.  Satan, was to something conjured up, his looks spring from Pan and the Horned God.  Pan being Roman, and the Horned God being Celtic.

Unfortunatly, alot of things that stem from the bible is either huge missinterpratations or serious bastardizations of surrounding pagan religious icons and deities.

Now with that all said in done...

Hey, if you want to believe in God and Jesus, and what the bible says, that's fine. More power to ya, but expect other's who don't not to suddenly go "GASP! You're right!" Alot of people out there have our own paths and believes to follow.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#63    chico del nacho

chico del nacho

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

• First and Foremost Member of The Doomsday Bananas

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:45 PM

i'm glad you didn't actually renounce your religion saucy. i'm not religious and i'm not a big fan of it, but i have lots of respect for people that follow religion without becoming complete f***wads. pardon my french grin2.gif

the reason i was worried was because if i'd witnessed someone renounce their religion because of an internet forum, that would've been very strange to me.

i still vote for social democracy. it's like communism lite! only 1/3 the calories of normal communism!
whoever said "money can't buy happiness" was never poor.
I think there's something innately wrong about most people to inspire alien curiousity.
i'm so proud of this post...
Seriousness is stupidity sent to college. -P. J. O'Rourke
Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow. -Oscar Wilde

#64    Burgundy Johnson

Burgundy Johnson

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:25 PM

yeah that would have been a little extreme   blink.gif  

#65    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:26 PM

Good point Chico!  If someone can read scripture and glean the good from them, fine. BUT to tell others that they are going to burn in hellfire damnation for not conforming to their interpretation of said scripture, well they need to be corrected.

Another point to make is the fact that millions live by a code of honour, do good by their fellow and help when help is requested all without diefying anything.

If you need the promise of a salvation and the threat of damnation to be morally good then you are in fact faking it!

Ladies and gentlemen ask yourselves this. What would you rather have in a marriage: Someone that says I will never cheat on you because it is a sin , or I will never cheat on you because I love you and would never want to hurt you?

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Julius Robert Oppenheimer. (1904-1967)
Posted Image

#66    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,824 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:48 PM

Actually, I've read that the end of the world prophecy in the Bible was actually supposed to happen when the Roman Empire fell... which it didnt... and ever since then everything has been pushed back. These religiouse prophecies are like the dooms day preachers, they preach and preach and preach... nothign happens, then they say "OOops, I made a mistake, armageddon is in another 8 years! Prepare for the worst!"
The Bible talks about the revived Roman empire... and you religious people consider it the EU. Why? You are just twisting around everything to fit your beliefs. "Oh, well, it says the Revived Roman Empire, but they mean the EU"  rolleyes.gif

As for the Y2K bug... it did happen. Like they said many times, it shouldnt happen because most computer systems have been updated to not be effected by it.... but still, retail companies made a fortune off of announcing that Everything may go to hell in 2000. In fact, some things did shut down... my old computer stopped working 2 years ago once the date finally reached the year 2000 (its clock was slow for some reason) and if you remember, a number of power plants went offline in Asia. Most of the world upgraded though but people still preached destruction (and in fact, the religious people preached how its the end of the world in 2000. Then, nothing happened, and they said "NO NO NO, come to think of it, we mean 2001!")  rolleyes.gif

Oh, and saucy, keep saying that every single person on earth was a horrible sinner except Noah... it might make it come true.  rolleyes.gif  

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#67    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:36 PM

Seeing as this thread has lost all relevance to the original topic, it is being closed. It is becoming quite tiresome having to keep these topics from turning into contentious religious arguements. This also includes a warning to you, saucy, joking or not, registering other user names is strictly forbidden, don't do it again.

MM

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users