Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How Did You Discover UM?

DecoNoir

Well, its been about one year since I graduated from forum lurker to an active member. So thinking back, I tried to remember just how I came across this place (which was about 6 months before I signed on). So far I remember this:

I've always loved vintage magazine covers, from the pulps of the 1930's to those crazy men's magazine covers of the 50's (you know, where some perfectly fit man would be swarmed by crabs on a beach while fighting Commies). Eventually I came across some covers for the old Fate magazine. This lead me to ding some research on Fortean Phenomena, and even the man Charles Fort himself. While always being a skeptic, I do love reading stories of the bizarre, so one day I simply typed up "unexplained mysteries" into Bing, and stumbled across a blue bannered sight discussing a crocodile in the Thames. This was my introduction to UM. After daily reading of the stories on the homepage for a couple of months I discovered the forums, and discovered that there where a few topics where my (self proclaimed)expert knowledge of internet folklore would come in handy. One year, and several mysteries later, I'm still here, learning and sharing my knowledge of a mysterious world, drifting through an even more mysterious universe.

So, what are your stories? How did you come across this place? Give out the whens, wheres, and whys. Oh, and this being a DecoNoir thread, feel free to have some fun and embellish the stories if you wish.

• Like 4

I was looking for information about Route Triple Six after getting "Weird U.S." book. :P

• Like 3

I was looking for a forum I was not banned on. :innocent:

• Like 7

I was looking for information about Route Triple Six after getting "Weird U.S." book. :P

I have that same book! As well as its sequel.Grandparents gave me the first edition some years ago, and it kicked my fascination with the bizarre into high gear in the days when I didn't have internet.

• Like 2

A few years ago I was fascinated with the supernatural and paranormal, to be specific I think I was reading a bogus article about some archeologists claiming to find giant (Nephalim) bones at another UM type site. I did some googling on the subject and somehow it led me here, I perused through the forums and found so many interesting subjects. After years of lurking and learning I have no finally decided to become an active participant and I love it! There are quite a few educated people floating around here and I just love learning something new on a daily basis.

• Like 3

I was thinking of buying a new fitted kitchen.

This is the funniest thing I have seen all day.

• Like 3

Looking for information on 'shadow creatures' is what brought me here, but I liked it and stayed.

• Like 2

This is the second forum site I ever was part of. I stumbled upon it by chance and joined immediately - not knowing what an absolute Gem I'd found until later. :)

• Like 3

I think Benjamin Grundy used it as a source for a story on the Mysterious Universe podcast.

• Like 2

After listening to coast to coast.The story was about "Mels hole".Which was just such a fascinating and strange story i had to look up as much as i could on it,and that is how i got here.

• Like 2

with the magic of google and ghost. :innocent:

But I kid you not, If I remember correctly I literally typed "unexplained mysterys" in google, because i was looking for mystery's that have not been explained

• Like 4

October 2008 I was on another site who were taking the pee out of Blossom Goodchild's prediction of a alien landing that was supposedly to take place that day, there just happened to be a link to UM so I came for a mooch and then I just couldn't find the exit door :D

• Like 7

Princess Serenity told me about this site on another forum where I got banned in later (luckily, I was able to find UM before I was banned). I used to come here more 4 years ago, but errands in life prevents me going to this site regularly. Btw, the infamous US Route 666 became Route 491, but we never forget.

• Like 1

My niece was a member here for a few years, technically still is though she doesn't come here anymore. I was asking her where I could discuss spiritual and philosophical topics on the net without being roped in by extremist cultish agendas - and here I am :)

• Like 4

My niece was a member here for a few years, technically still is though she doesn't come here anymore. I was asking her where I could discuss spiritual and philosophical topics on the net without being roped in by extremist cultish agendas - and here I am :)

Got to admit, the even temperedness is mostly why I stay. With few exceptions (hit and run posters notwithstanding) most members are pretty civil, even when there beliefs are diametrically opposed.

• Like 5

I was out for a walk at night in the country. The torch I was carrying suddenly started flickering, then just cut out. I thought the batteries were gone, so I shook the torch a bit because everyone knows that won't do anything to revive dead batteries. I started for home along the dark road when suddenly an intensely bright light was all around me. I was disoriented, and it felt like I was floating, then I must have blacked out.

When I woke up I was here.

• Like 9

I found this place after a Google search because I wanted to post my true story. It wasn't long before I made a friend that I've talked to on the phone. SaraT. She's a whole lot sweeter than you might think. :) But she might not want me to let that get out. :D

• Like 2

I remember on the weekends when I was around 12,13 years old. Late at midnight I would get up from bed just to watch the show Unexplained Mysteries. And so, at the end of the show the narrator always said, "for more information log on to UNEXPLAINED-MYSTERIES.COM"

But, I didnt have a computer at that moment until 2 years later :D

I feel so addicted to the site lol.

• Like 1

I was watching a show of the same name, thought I'd look and see if there was a companion website.

• Like 1

I've always had an interest in the strange and paranormal. I signed up under a different name years ago (but forgot it). Never used it so I re-signed up.

• Like 1

I was looking for por....I mean, family friendly videos, and somehow I ended up here.

• Like 5

Abducted! :o

I have long suspected Saru and the mods are alien greys :alien: conducting some nefarious social experiment on those who find themselves here. :unsure2:

• Like 3