Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guillermo del Toro’s At The Mountains Of Mad

ReaperS_ParadoX

:D this was my favorite Lovecraft story! I'm excited~ I like del Toro.

Yeah and if you ask me Its not really anything like Prometheus. LOL to be honost I was very disappointed with Prometheus

Yeah and if you ask me Its not really anything like Prometheus. LOL to be honost I was very disappointed with Prometheus

Very much agreed! Prometheus stunk.

I agree that Prometheus was not that superb, and in my opinion, explaining the Aliens lessens the fear of them. It perhaps has the barest similarity to At the Mountains of Madness at best. Looking forward to seeing a shoggoth on the big screen, particularly with the current IMAX 3D technology. Of course it can not do a true shoggoth justice, I am sure they do not want the entire audience to go mad upon the first sight of one.

• Like 1

I agree that Prometheus was not that superb, and in my opinion, explaining the Aliens lessens the fear of them. It perhaps has the barest similarity to At the Mountains of Madness at best. Looking forward to seeing a shoggoth on the big screen, particularly with the current IMAX 3D technology. Of course it can not do a true shoggoth justice, I am sure they do not want the entire audience to go mad upon the first sight of one.

Yeah and its like the article said At The Mountains of Madness did come first

If del Toro does this right, this could be the horror film of the decade or of the Millenium (not a hard feat to commit).

My anticipation is in the clouds! :tu:

If del Toro does this right, this could be the horror film of the decade or of the Millenium (not a hard feat to commit).

My anticipation is in the clouds! :tu:

Same here there have been Lovecraft movies but none of them are really that good in my opinion. Im super excited to see what Del Toro can come up with while directing it. I mean this could be a BIG deal like you said.

Ha, I'm reading this right now. Can't say I'm excited - Lovecraft creates such an atmosphere that there's really no need for a movie. Oh well. Del Toro doesn't suck so it might be interesting.

Ha, I'm reading this right now. Can't say I'm excited - Lovecraft creates such an atmosphere that there's really no need for a movie. Oh well. Del Toro doesn't suck so it might be interesting.

Thats just it Del Toro is pretty good at creating atmosphere, at least I think he is I mean look at the hellboy movies, but I just think if anyone could do justice to a Lovecraft story its Del Toro. Again just my opinion

Hellboy does not have the kind of atmosphere that this book does. In fact, I can't see any Lovecraft work translating to film that well. The books really can't be improved upon (and we all know Hollywood can't do a fricking adaptation to save their lives). But again, yes, Del Toro might be the man who will do the closest job resembling respect to the original work.

We should all keep in mind that this book is one that reeeeeeeeally highlights Lovecraft's racism and ideas about lower classes. I hope that it comes across in the movie. T'will be fun.

LOL good ole racism, JK. Yeah it might not even be made to begin with so all we can do is hope

The H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society has done some good adaptations given the budget they must have to work with.

• Like 1

Their Call of Cthulhu was an achievement in every sense. Whisperer in Darkness fell a little short of the story, but it was still enjoyable in a slightly more pulpy, B-move way. I still love it.

I did like how they did not show the Mi-Gos completely until a good length in. Prior to that only a silhouette from the one room, and then a bit of leg as the one left the house.

There is a collection of Lovecraft films on DVD; The H.P. Lovecraft Collection Vol 1-5. First one is Cool Air, ASIN: B0006HCT3S.

They have the films from the last several H.P. Lovecraft Film Festivals, most in black and white. Some of the short films among the collection are;

• Cool Air
  • Nyarlathotep
  • The Hound
  • The Music of Eric ZannT
  • The Terrible Old Man
  • From Beyond

An excellent collection to have in my opinion.

• Like 1

I wonder who will act in it. Any guesses or hopes?

Well the article I posted said Tom Cruise was reall interested in it so he might throw his hat in the ring for being an actor in it. But other than that I dont know because each actor has to fit a specific character from the story.

Their Call of Cthulhu was an achievement in every sense. Whisperer in Darkness fell a little short of the story, but it was still enjoyable in a slightly more pulpy, B-move way. I still love it.

I never got to see that movie wasnt it a silent film ? Whisperer In Darkness I actually loved I liked that it was pulpy.

I did like how they did not show the Mi-Gos completely until a good length in. Prior to that only a silhouette from the one room, and then a bit of leg as the one left the house.

There is a collection of Lovecraft films on DVD; The H.P. Lovecraft Collection Vol 1-5. First one is Cool Air, ASIN: B0006HCT3S.

They have the films from the last several H.P. Lovecraft Film Festivals, most in black and white. Some of the short films among the collection are;

• Cool Air
  • Nyarlathotep
  • The Hound
  • The Music of Eric ZannT
  • The Terrible Old Man
  • From Beyond

An excellent collection to have in my opinion.

Iv seen Cool Air, Dagon, Whisperer in Darkness, The Dunwich Horror, I think thats it. Ill have to look into that dvd set you mentioned

Well the article I posted said Tom Cruise was reall interested in it so he might throw his hat in the ring for being an actor in it. But other than that I dont know because each actor has to fit a specific character from the story.

Well, he may be insane and tiny, but at least Tom Cruise can act.

I hope not as Prof. Dyer. Maybe Danforth, Cruise has the insanity already, so he could do the end scene well.

I never got to see that movie wasnt it a silent film ? Whisperer In Darkness I actually loved I liked that it was pulpy.

Yes, the HPLHS film for this was done as an old black and white silent film using Mythoscope.

Iv seen Cool Air, Dagon, Whisperer in Darkness, The Dunwich Horror, I think thats it. Ill have to look into that dvd set you mentioned

There are actually many films based on or are more or less direct adaptations of Lovecraft, I've managed to collect several. Sometimes I just have to sit down a do a Lovecraft weekend, and watch a bunch.

• Dagon
  • Cthulhu (2000)
  • Cthulhu (2007)
  • Cool Air
  • The Call of Cthulhu (2005)
  • Die, Monster, Die!
  • The Dunwich Horror (1970)
  • From Beyond (1986)
  • Re-Animator films
  • The Resurrected
  • In the Mouth of Madness (1995)

• Like 1

This thread and the other thread on HPL has inspired me to dig out my Arkham House volumes.

The nights here atm are chilly with some gusty winds, the perfect atmosphere by which to read HPL.

One of my friends was traveling across Australia by train for business, long trip so it was dark out as well. I suggested he read The Shadow Out of Time.

• Like 1