Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why does everyone hate the Star Wars Prequels

Summerin1905

Why does everyone hate the star wars prequels honestly i thought it was pretty cool Samuel l Jackson as a Jedi but of course there are some cringe moments such as the acting. but overall what are your guys opinions on the prequels.

• Like 1

Well that and that they were shameless cash grabs designed to milk people out of as much toy money as possible.

The lack of quality acting, Pod Racing, Droid armies, watching Galactic CSpann, yoda as a CGI ultra ninja, CGI everything, Jar Jar Binks, a love story where a princess falls in love with a kid and then waits to have a dull wooden lifeless chemistry free and unnaturally boring relationship with the kid later, title crawls written by Gnome Chomsky, sitting lots and lots of sitting, poo jokes, lack of investment in the characters before they battle, the coolest looking villain is chopped in half and never reappears in the prequels, laser blaster cannons that are automatics quick-firing death devices that everybody abandons 20 years later because they are too useful/effective, CLONES THAT ARE ALL IDENTICAL, Chewy being Yoda's buddy, Jar Jar Binks.....more to follow after I visit the doctor for the aneurysm you just inspired.

• Like 5

Because when you grew up watching the OT and got super excited when you heard that Lucas was making more films, you were elated. It was a dream come true. Amazingly ,you would see the origin of Darth Vader, The most feared and ruthless man in the galaxy. It would be glorious......

But then it wasn't. It was terrible characters, horrible dialogue and delivery, and then, most unforgivable of all, dumb whiny emo Anakin. This little whiny b**** would be Vader? No. Terrible.

And yeah, Jar Jar, who is directly responsible for the rise of the Galactic Empire. So there's that.

• Like 6

I had no problems whatsoever with the prequels. I actually liked them.

The two movies above seem to be little more than prepubescent, nitpicking prattle.

I'll echo most of Bubblykiss' two posts.

Too much fan service and not enough real story telling. Too heavily reliant on CGI.

There are some very cool 'what if' you tube videos that sketch out some story lines that would have been fantastic. Check those out if interested.. Search for WHAT IF THE PREQUELS WERE REALLY GOOD or something like that.

I think the biggest reason they were failures, imho, is something that Mr. Plinkett addresses in his reviews. George Lucas surrounded himself with 'yes men (and women)' so no one could be honest and let him him know he was going off the rails.

But, that all said, I still love Darth Maul.

• Like 4

I'll echo most of Bubblykiss' two posts.

Too much fan service and not enough real story telling. Too heavily reliant on CGI.

There are some very cool 'what if' you tube videos that sketch out some story lines that would have been fantastic. Check those out if interested.. Search for WHAT IF THE PREQUELS WERE REALLY GOOD or something like that.

I think the biggest reason they were failures, imho, is something that Mr. Plinkett addresses in his reviews. George Lucas surrounded himself with 'yes men (and women)' so no one could be honest and let him him know he was going off the rails.

But, that all said, I still love Darth Maul.

that and you can thank the people who edited and directed the ot for why they came out so well, lucas was challenged constantly and actually off loaded work onto other people kasdan and kershner are the reasons the ot was so great lucas too but if he had free reign like he did with the prequels well i highly doubt star wars would have succeeded we wouldn't be talking about it today thats for sure.

eta scuse me but i forgot the massive amount of help lucas received from paul hirsch too

Edited by Iron_Lotus
  • Like 2

Because no amount of CG can fix horrible whiny twits. Because they tried to fix horrible whiny twits with a ton of CG.

It's kind of funny, because Natalie Portman complained that Star Wars almost ruined her career because it made her look like a bad actress- fact was she really was a bad actress in those movies. And now she complained that she couldn't be in the newest movie, lol. Hayden Christensen was such a horrifyingly bad actor it made us seriously wonder how the dark side even wanted such a useless tool. His only use really was as a sperm donor, because he sucked at everything else.

Because Jar Jar.. That was worse than every crappy Pixar/Disney character of the last decade rolled together- and I've greatly disliked every Pixar/Disney of the last decade. Lucas screwed that pooch way before he sold it to Disney... Which actually Disney did a better job of it than Lucas did.

And just as a lol for folks... I came across an article recently that suggested a way to watch that trio of films and make it more palatable... Imagine Padme and Obi Wan were carrying on an affair through the whole thing- gives ole Annie a reason to be such a little girl.

All of that said.... Some of the movie content was stellar. The telling of the story of how all this came about is great. A bunch of the Jedi's are great to frigging incredible. Yoda is just as awesome as Jar Jar is wretched. The costuming was beyond amazing. Some of the bad guy action was wonderful, if a bit 2D instead of being fully fleshed in.

But all in all, it's like dating a crazy and high maintenance chick... sure, some small parts of her are great and really great... but the rest of it is so horrible ya just can't date her for long, let alone marry her. And in the end, you end up hating her whole package way more than the little bits you liked to begin with.

• Like 3

the Politicizing of the Empire didn't help any either ... the so called Jedi Council was hardly exemplary of anything remotely close to the way of the Force ~

• Like 2

My main gripe is that George Lucas failed to make his proclaimed central character of the whole saga, Anakin, likable at any point. He went from being an annoying little kid to a self centered disrespectful teenager and then right on to a baby killer. He's never likable until he's a totally different person, whom you are supposed to fear and hate, so in my opinion George Lucas failed in his goals as a storyteller. The original movie was great because when it came out in 1977 it was so totally groundbreaking on many levels, the following movie Empire Strikes back spends the first half of the movie doing "Hey, haven't seen you since the last movie" nostalgia crap that makes it annoying and a muppet, and really only has one good sequence where Luke finds out Vader is his father. The third movie has the same nostalgia crap going on in the first half and then introduced a race of tiny furry creepy things called ewoks when originally they were supposed to be wookies. This was done to boost toy sales so.....FAIL. I really like the new movie but that is because it is essentially a remake of episode 4, A New Hope. Let's hope JJ Abrams does a better job with his follow ups than Lucas did.

• Like 1

One of the biggest problems I have with the prequels is that everything looks so damn clean. The OT looked like a real place. Things were dirty, there was rust and crud everywhere. It was a galaxy that looked lived it. The prequels were all shiny and clean. Nothing looked used.

I guess you could make the argument that the OT happens after the empire has taken over and things aren't as pristine or running as efficiently as when the republic was in charge. Everything looking beat down and used as a parallel to the rise of the empire. But that's dumb.

The truth, however, is simply that they didn't have the tech or such a huge budget when making the OT, so everything was dirty and used, where as the prequels were filmed on sound stages and it shows.

• Like 3

I really like the new movie but that is because it is essentially a remake of episode 4, A New Hope. Let's hope JJ Abrams does a better job with his follow ups than Lucas did.

I don't think Abrams is doing any more...I think he was one and done.

• Like 1

I've seen all the Star Wars movies except (yet) for the current one, and for me I just find them entertaining.

I don't think Abrams is doing any more...I think he was one and done.

Rian Johnson is directing episode 8. Principle just began this month.

Colin Trevorrow is directing episode 9.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller are directing the Han Solo anthology movie.

Gareth Edward id directing the Rogue One anthology movie which releases Dec 16th this year.

The third anthology film is rumored to be about Boba Fett, but that has yet to be confirmed and no director is attached yet. That we know of.

JJ, according to reports, tried set himself up as the Lucas of the new trilogy and anthology movies during filming, but Disney wasn't having it, so his directorial exploits and writing/producing of star wars films appears to be one and done. Though that could easily change with the success of TFA.

• Like 2

I must admit that episode I is my least favourite, to be honest the gap between the originals and the production of the prequels maybe didn't help much.

Even the original 3 movies kind of lost their sparkle as I got older, maybe that's what the problem is for me.

John William's contribution to the success of the franchise is totally underrated to say the least ~ whenever the movies is mentioned it is always the Theme that fills my mind and little else ... except maybe the humming of lightsabers ~

`

• Like 1

I would have loved to see the prequels as being darker. Maybe the 1st one should've had Anakin as a seasoned jedi, under of Obi Wan. Coming into temptation of the dark side as well. The 2nd could have focused on the conflict with the jedi code and Anakin's lover, while also slowly showing his transformation into a dark jedi. The 3rd and final prequel would be on the clone war and whatever tipping point that turned him into a sith. Without the abuse of CGI. Like a dark story of lost love and revenge.

• Like 1

The acting and the screenplay was awful. It just felt slapped together, you had a cast of amazing actors who did terrible, not because they are bad actors, but because of poor direction and writing.

• Like 3

the whole time were suppose to believe obi wan and anakin are amazing freinds you can see the sadness in bens face in a new hope as he talks about his old friend, what do we see in the prequels? i dunno about you but anakin was a snot nosed punk who disrespected and questioned his "friend" constantly, they didn't feel like they were "brothers" at all there was little to no bond between the two, samuel jackson is your token black guy with a purple lightsaber, and as i said before and what imaginary said as well too clean, too much green screen, no models no puppets no sets just stages with green everywhere nothings real in the prequel universe it's all computer glitter everywhere.

Edited by Iron_Lotus
  • Like 4

Lucas had a great idea with Star Wars and the original trilogy is great. But Lucas seems to have no integrity when it comes to the Star Wars universe. He let pretty much anyone write books, he did things in the movie "just because he felt like it".

Also, as Iron pointed out, the film really had p*** poor character development. The relationship Anakin had with almost every other person felt off, and the character himself did not feel believable.

• Like 3