Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery creature off the coast of New Zealand

Purple Octopus

A giant mystery sea creature is thought to have been spotted in the turquoise waters of one of New Zealand’s most idyllic bays.

A huge unexplained wake can be seen in a Google Earth image of Oke Bay, in the Bay of Islands, an area on the east coast of the Far North District of the country's North Island, captured by satellite at about 11.30am on January 30.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz3LyYUAZ9u

Lol, Crabzilla has a buddy!

Edited by phantasia

How does one judge speed via Google Earth?

This seems oddly similar to the Nessie photo on Google Earth that turned out to be a tour boat. The boat was just somewhat obscured due to how the image was displayed.

Now that's what I call a tapeworm!

Hey guys can some one please help explain to me how that even looks like a animal? Maybe if the gaunt tapeworm theory pans out. But in all seriousness could this just not be a natural phenomenon or is there proof that this is 100% authentic?

Edit: giant not guant. And I meant organic/living not authentic sorry

Something alive made this, not a machine at all. This lake should be studied for possible giant animals. Volunteers with advanced equipment and maybe a grant or two to help bolster these claims. And New Zealand is already spooky as hell and isolated. This could be a new specie.

• Like 2

Actually, it says it's a bay, not a lake. So I have to wonder if this isn't some sort of radical tide change event that maybe only happens once a month or possibly a couple times a year.

I don't see how a wake proves anything is alive , plenty of man made objects like a boat or jet ski make wakes. I am still along the lines of a natural phenomenon or at best maybe a Small school of fish.

• Like 1

Something alive made this, not a machine at all. This lake should be studied for possible giant animals. Volunteers with advanced equipment and maybe a grant or two to help bolster these claims. And New Zealand is already spooky as hell and isolated. This could be a new specie.

Did you notice the boat in the blowup picture just above your post?

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder at the credulity of some people here. Google Earth takes Snapshots at the time, there is no possibility of extrapolating this into a Real - time video. Has anyone bothered to check the date of time of this particular snapshot?

Probably a stupid question :no:

112.jpg

Nice picture there, Ashyne.

Now that the red circle has been identified as surrounding the mystery object, we can safely conclude this is a cryptid and not a boat.

I agree, it certainly appears(at this admittedly low resolution) to be a water craft of some sort in post #8

But why are there 2 separate distance wakes converging on the watercraft? 2 water crafts joining side by side?

The wakes, with their curvature appears to be recreational in path.

• Like 1

I agree, it certainly appears(at this admittedly low resolution) to be a water craft of some sort in post #8

But why are there 2 separate distance wakes converging on the watercraft? 2 water crafts joining side by side?

The wakes, with their curvature appears to be recreational in path.

I might have misread your post P but the wakes are not converging, they are separating. Spreading out in a V shapes as the boat moves from bottom left to right hand side of the image.

The dark area does puzzle me a bit, I would suggest is is churned up sediment but not knowing how deep the bay is makes it hard to be sure.

• Like 1

the ripple lines , if 'authentic' shows the entire shape moving concurrently against a same slight head on current ~ unless the boat is dragging something along behind it ... I am curious about those highly defined ripple patterns ~

I might have misread your post P but the wakes are not converging, they are separating. Spreading out in a V shapes as the boat moves from bottom left to right hand side of the image.

The dark area does puzzle me a bit, I would suggest is is churned up sediment but not knowing how deep the bay is makes it hard to be sure.

The dark line is the the only real mystery here in my opinion also. The wake does appear to be from a boat, and the line does appear to follow where the boat traveled.

Perhaps an idiot driving his boat with the anchor dragging behind??

Obviously this couldn't be a monster. Look at the original pic... the "creature" is as wide as a house (The tiny white boxes on land), and would appear to almost a kilometer long. (I'd guess about 760 m based on Google Maps)

I understand exactly what you are saying.

Looking at Post #8, there distinctly appears to be 2 trails of wakes separated by a considerable distance as if 2 separate water craft made them, yet they appear to be exuded by the same boat. That's not possible, I think.

Wish there were a vid. I bet we would see one boat and one jet-ski docking on or near the boat at the end

Heck, I don't know! Still pictures can sometimes make things rather confusing, I guess.

Well ... if there are 'two' trails of wakes I would say it is photoshopped ~ a layering of images on top of each other ~ a time lapse image of the ripples ~

Judging from the raw visual of the wake from around the boat , the ripples furthest from the 'boat' would have dissipated based on the location of the boat in the final image ~

That can't be a standard boat. Either it's pontoon boat, catamaran or a large "dingy"

The "black" area, looked at closely, appears to be very narrow at the boat, and is spreading.

The black area is in direct geometric correlation with the double wake trails.

Thus, I surmise that this is a single water craft, and the black shadow is the actual path taken by the boat.

Remember, all boats produce a double trail wake... one to the left and one to the right. The curvatures matches nearly exactly, given account of different current flows in different parts of the bay. The black shadow also follow almost exactly the curvature of the 2 trail wakes.

Why the black shadow? This depends on the type of boat.

An out-board engine would not produce this effect.

But, a non-engine, sail powered pontoon boat or catamaran likely would.

Just some thoughts...

Looking at Post #8, there distinctly appears to be 2 trails of wakes separated by a considerable distance as if 2 separate water craft made them, yet they appear to be exuded by the same boat. That's not possible, I think.

Just had a look back, for me its just one wake that splits in to two sides, left and right.

Edit: just as you have stated in you later post ;)

Maybe I have missed something...?

The low quality image does not help, if only it was like a Spy Film and we could magically zoom in and enhance.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1