Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Chimps armed with spears

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16    Isis2200

Isis2200

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:47 AM

Its seems that our furry little cousins are constructing sharp-tipped spears in order to injure/kill hiding animals. Chimpanzees have been noted for using other tools before, but this is something new, and personally I think it is amazing. This is not a simple, get-a-stick-and-get-some-ants-out action, it needs abstract thinking and significant alteration of the environment (breaking off the branch, getting the bark off and sharpening it.)

In due course, they'll be hacking into the Pentagon with one of those 100 dollar laptops. grin2.gif
The bbc.com article

Yep, looks like our furry little cousins are evolving.

#17    HAJiME

HAJiME

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:04 AM

It's not evolution, it's learning. They have the capability to do amazing things, they just need to work it out and then pass that knowledge on.

If Gorillas can learn sign language, then this doesn't REALLY suprise me.

#18    PlasmaFighter

PlasmaFighter

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:36 PM

I betcha' all 10 bucks by 2010 they'll be speaking broken English....

#19    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:55 PM

I betcha' all 10 bucks by 2010 they'll be speaking broken English....

There are actually apes who have already been able to communicate efficiently with humans using different methods. A chimp named Washoe and an urangutan named Chantek both learnt to communicate over two hundred seperate words using sign language and understand over a thousand more.

The most amazing is probably Kanzi, a bonobo. He's able to communicate hundreds of different words using a diagram of printed symbols. But it's been reported that he's vocalized several words (in bonobo language...'bonobian'?) to other bonobo's, who've understood what he's telling them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users