Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Early Human Ancestors Ate Grass

human ancestors ate grass

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Early human ancestors in central Africa 3.5 million years ago ate mostly tropical grasses and sedges

"We found evidence suggesting that early hominins, in central Africa at least, ate a diet mainly comprised of tropical grasses and sedges," co-author Julia Lee-Thorp, a University of Oxford archaeologist, said in a press release.

She continued, "No African great apes, including chimpanzees, eat this type of food despite the fact it grows in abundance in tropical and subtropical regions. The only notable exception is the savannah baboon which still forages for these types of plants today. We were surprised to discover that early hominins appear to have consumed more than even the baboons."
Source

#2    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,052 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

That is not really new, new is that they started eating grass at such an early stage after leaving the trees... or maybe because they had not enough left on the trees they resorted to grass.

In any case, just another little detail confirming Darwin.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,065 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

View PostKarlis, on 13 November 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

Early human ancestors in central Africa 3.5 million years ago ate mostly tropical grasses and sedges

"We found evidence suggesting that early hominins, in central Africa at least, ate a diet mainly comprised of tropical grasses and sedges," co-author Julia Lee-Thorp, a University of Oxford archaeologist, said in a press release.

She continued, "No African great apes, including chimpanzees, eat this type of food despite the fact it grows in abundance in tropical and subtropical regions. The only notable exception is the savannah baboon which still forages for these types of plants today. We were surprised to discover that early hominins appear to have consumed more than even the baboons."
Source

From the article:

While this ancestor of ours clearly had big, impressive teeth, they would not have been able to tackle leaves day after day. The individuals also lacked cow-like guts to break down and digest such food, so the researchers suspect the early hominids probably relied more on the roots, corms and bulbs at the base of the plants.

Given the carbon isotope data, there is a very remote chance that the early hominids ate animals that, in turn, ate the tropical grasses.

"But as neither humans nor other primates have diets rich in animal food, and of course the hominins are not equipped as carnivores are with sharp teeth, we can assume that they ate the tropical grasses and the sedges directly," Lee-Thorp said.

Maybe the pain in their bellies made them start walking upright??

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,148 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Maybe they ate the grass when nothing else could be found.

#5    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,065 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostHilander, on 13 November 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

Maybe they ate the grass when nothing else could be found.

YOU try to eat grass and digest it.

You will feel sorry you tried, next day.

You are not a cow, you do not have the guts to digest it.

#6    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Hmm what you have here by the sound of it, is the making of the first salad.  :tu:

#7    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,065 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

View PostCRIPTIC CHAMELEON, on 13 November 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

Hmm what you have here by the sound of it, is the making of the first salad.  :tu:

Grass is not salad.

Try it.

#8    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,069 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

My dog eats grass sometimes.... Usually when she is sick.

Didn't Abramelin just point out that the article says these early people ate the Roots, and not the stems of the grass? Post #3.

I wonder if they cooked their food if they had the opportunity? I've heard of chimps that will cook their raw food if they are provided a heat source.

Edited by DieChecker, 14 November 2012 - 02:15 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#9    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,745 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

they ate their grass cuz they had no papers.

JGirl's official tune of the day - hear it here!

Posted Image.. but as for this house of cards you are building..  a butterfly fart would knock it down.

#10    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,069 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

I believe the Ancestors also used the grass to Wipe....

Because leaves are scratchy.

Edited by DieChecker, 14 November 2012 - 08:09 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#11    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

We eat 'grass' every time we eat wheat, and I'm not really sure what part of the grass they're talking about here: If our ancestors were eating the seed heads, that's not much of a revelation.

#12    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,428 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

That's a good point.     Did they know how to use fire  3.5 million years ago ? Cooked would be nice.. and maybe honey.. .. and milk.

Edited by lightly, 15 November 2012 - 11:50 AM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#13    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 13 November 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

That is not really new, new is that they started eating grass at such an early stage after leaving the trees... or maybe because they had not enough left on the trees they resorted to grass.

In any case, just another little detail confirming Darwin.

Its nothing new but it have nothing to do with Darwin. People countless time in history even in last century ate grass to survive in extreme situation. Wars, droughts...
In these days everything fits in Darwin theory.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#14    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,052 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

View Postlightly, on 15 November 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

That's a good point. Did they know how to use fire  3.5 million years ago ? Cooked would be nice.. and maybe honey.. .. and milk.

most probably not, and they started eating grass most probably because they were durn hungry, invading a new ecological niche.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#15    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,452 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

View PostKarlis, on 13 November 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

Source
Taken with the above information, this means that the fact that we have a city named Savanna in the USA serves as absolute proof that we Americans descend from baboons.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users