Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

B.C. mulls flying welfare recipients

glorybebe

The B.C. government is floating a proposal to fly people on social assistance north and give them accommodation and training to fill vacant jobs in the booming oil and gas sector. Finance Minister Kevin Falcon first suggested the plan at a business meeting in Kamloops on Tuesday.

On Wednesday Kamloops Liberal MLA Terry Lake told CBC News the plan is in its infancy, meaning in political terms, it's a trial balloon.

"It is a unique idea that will take some development. But I think a lot of people, it will resonate with them because it just makes sense," said Lake.

"Why not offer people who are able to work the ability to get some training, the ability to provide funding to get them into communities where they desperately need young people to work in those industries."

article

I am not a Liberal supporter, but I agree with this idea. Why should I be willing to uproot my daughter to get a better job and life and some of these welfare recipients just sit on their ****, not willing to move. Where is their pride?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glorybebe

• Paracelse

• acidhead

• Michelle

article

I am not a Liberal supporter, but I agree with this idea. Why should I be willing to uproot my daughter to get a better job and life and some of these welfare recipients just sit on their ****, not willing to move. Where is their pride?

Theree is not much pride for those on wellfare, look at major corporations like ford city bank gm; they got their check and now they enjoy the dividends.

What I would have like to read but it wasn't in the article is the kind of backlash:

That's what Liberal MLA John Les discovered last year when he faced backlash for suggesting those out of work in Nanaimo move north for work.

Personaly I think it a great idea.

It sounds like a good idea if it's voluntary and if the pay is a livable wage, not slave labor. If it's anything like the states though I look at this as being a way for big corporations to get cheap labor paid for by tax payers.

article

Because a lot of those on welfare are on welfare because they want to be on welfare.

Because a lot of those on welfare are on welfare because they want to be on welfare.

That's a pretty darn heavy generalization don't you think?

It sounds like a good idea if it's voluntary and if the pay is a livable wage, not slave labor. If it's anything like the states though I look at this as being a way for big corporations to get cheap labor paid for by tax payers.

agreed

That's a pretty darn heavy generalization don't you think?

agreed

Not really. There are alot of slackers out there who are happy to live out the rest of their lives on public assistance with absolutely no desire to work for a living.

Not really. There are alot of slackers out there who are happy to live out the rest of their lives on public assistance with absolutely no desire to work for a living.

Trust me I know, there are plenty of those in France. The 2/3 of the town I live in now in France are on wellfare but there are still some people who bust their toochies to find a real job. Here most of those professional wellfare people are of the immigration.

Working up north in the oil and gas industry pays very well. I have met people that make six figures in there first or second year up there driving a truck. I think this is a good idea but in no way can they force people to move.

It's certainly worth mulling. If they can't get people who want to work to take the jobs, and if they have people on assistance that are mentally and physically able to be trained for them, then great. They have to take living wages into consideration and they have to take consideration of which current welfare recipients are able to take the jobs. For example it would be very difficult to force a single young mother away from her babies unless you're also going to provide chid care and housing up north as well.

Trust me I know, there are plenty of those in France. The 2/3 of the town I live in now in France are on wellfare but there are still some people who bust their toochies to find a real job. Here most of those professional wellfare people are of the immigration.

I know one woman who is, and wants to stay a full-time student. She is paying for her schooling on government loans. But she knows that when she stops going to school she has to start paying her loans back. She gets money for food and money for fuel to drive to school.

Why do people think it is so degrading to ask people on welfare to move for a job and that they are just being used and abused? :rolleyes: Canada is desperate for workers and are trying to recruit from all over the world.

Here's an article from Ireland...

There’s jobs in them there hills – up to 80,000 of them for Irish workers according to a visiting delegation from Canada.

Construction vacancies in British Columbia could be filled by Irish workers according to the group from Western Canada who are touring Ireland this week.

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Canadian-construction-industry-wants-thousands-of-Irish-workers-to-make-the-move-140547223.html#ixzz1pD3NKW5H

Edited by Michelle

Why do people think it is so degrading to ask people on welfare to move for a job and that they are just being used and abused? :rolleyes: Canada is desperate for workers and are trying to recruit from all over the world.

Here's an article from Ireland...

There’s jobs in them there hills – up to 80,000 of them for Irish workers according to a visiting delegation from Canada.

Construction vacancies in British Columbia could be filled by Irish workers according to the group from Western Canada who are touring Ireland this week.

Read more: http://www.irishcent...l#ixzz1pD3NKW5H

Exactly, Michelle. I live in a town that is a major winter resort town. We have a lot of ex-pats who arrive here every fall, as well as imported workers who do the jobs that are 'below' the locals standards. Working at McDonalds or Tim Hortons (Canadian coffee franchise) is 'degrading'. If I wasn't a single mom who would have to uproot my daughter to move up north, I would be heading up there. You get Northen Pay, tax credits and high wages....for people who don't want to go up there because they want to live where they want to....that is pretty silly. The people I know who work up there work their shifts and then come home for the break. No one says they have to live up there full time.

Sure it would be voluntary....you decline, you get kicked off of welfare! Welfare is supposed to be a temporary solution to being unemployed, not a way of life. I don't work my ass off so that some young guy can sit on his ass and collect free money. And it says in the article that the they would be getting their wages, not the amount that they were getting on welfare. So, they would be making a tonne of money and having the feeling of accomplishment by actually working for the money they live on.

I know one woman who is, and wants to stay a full-time student. She is paying for her schooling on government loans. But she knows that when she stops going to school she has to start paying her loans back. She gets money for food and money for fuel to drive to school.

While I was a student then when I became prof in Denver, I met some of those and I found this quit disturbing.

Sure it would be voluntary....you decline, you get kicked off of welfare! Welfare is supposed to be a temporary solution to being unemployed, not a way of life. I don't work my ass off so that some young guy can sit on his ass and collect free money. And it says in the article that the they would be getting their wages, not the amount that they were getting on welfare. So, they would be making a tonne of money and having the feeling of accomplishment by actually working for the money they live on.

:tu: :tu:

seconded :D

I don't know about Canada, but in the USA if you're on welfare it's not generally becaues you're simply out of work, there are generally other extenuating circumstances.Single mom's who can't afford to work, which does happen with the costs associated with child care. I know in my state to get welfare you have to have assets of under $500 (including your car), and you must have dependants--whether that's a child or an elderly parent. If you don't have a dependant, you don't qualify.

Often, if you have a dependant, it's VERY difficult to move unless you know you have acceptable living arrangements and provisions for child or elderly care can be made where you are moving to. If they do, then great, move 'em.

I don't know about Canada, but in the USA if you're on welfare it's not generally becaues you're simply out of work, there are generally other extenuating circumstances.Single mom's who can't afford to work, which does happen with the costs associated with child care. I know in my state to get welfare you have to have assets of under $500 (including your car), and you must have dependants--whether that's a child or an elderly parent. If you don't have a dependant, you don't qualify.

Often, if you have a dependant, it's VERY difficult to move unless you know you have acceptable living arrangements and provisions for child or elderly care can be made where you are moving to. If they do, then great, move 'em.

Here, if you have a 'drug problem' you can be on welfare. You can't find a job with your prefession, you can be on welfare. There was a man who was a professional fisherman from New Foundland....he MOVED to Alberta and then claimed he could not find a job within his own prefoession, so was on assistance. There are single moms who cannot get welfare after their youngest child is 3, yet couples can be on welfare because neither person can find work...and they don't have to have kids. The system is being raped by the scammers. The 'Mormons' in Bountiful really have the system scammed, they keep having kids, have no work experience and they get welfare. We really need an overhaul of the system and if this is a first step to get people off their butts and working, I am all for it.

The B.C. government is floating a proposal to fly people on social assistance north and give them accommodation and training to fill vacant jobs in the booming oil and gas sector.

This is a terrible idea. Totally against the rules in a free market capitalistic society. Wrong on many levels.

The only reason why some are giving it support is because were in a bust period of the business cycle. As the economy slows down many will do things they don't normally do and this is an issue that shows how desperate some are to selling out without logically assessing the situation thoroughly.

But whatever makes you feel good.

Edited by acidhead

This is a terrible idea. Totally against the rules in a free market capitalistic society. Wrong on many levels.

The only reason why some are giving it support is because were in a bust period of the business cycle. As the economy slows down many will do things they don't normally do and this is an issue that shows how desperate some are to selling out without logically assessing the situation thoroughly.

I know this might appear a bit off topics but I think it would be good for certain people to keep in mind.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/augustine/arch/solzhenitsyn/harvard1978.html

I agree with this plan because of the level of the lazy people who don't want to work. I see it with EI abuse where I live,too. Sure, I would love to sit and not have to work and have a living given to me, but that is not how I was raised. You want things in life, you work for them, you don't expect others to give them to you. I know many men and women who go to camp up north and come home for the days off so that they can support their families. They don't whine about not being able to live and work where they want, they do what has to be done to get the bills paid. There are too many selfish and lazy people out in society and think they are owed so much just because they were born. Some times we must make sacrifices to succeed in life. And to be given paid training and a good job after they are trained? Why is there any complaints about this plan?

There are too many selfish and lazy people out in society and think they are owed so much just because they were born. Some times we must make sacrifices to succeed in life. And to be given paid training and a good job after they are trained? Why is there any complaints about this plan?

:tu: :tu: :tu:

I agree with this plan because of the level of the lazy people who don't want to work. I see it with EI abuse where I live,too. Sure, I would love to sit and not have to work and have a living given to me, but that is not how I was raised. You want things in life, you work for them, you don't expect others to give them to you. I know many men and women who go to camp up north and come home for the days off so that they can support their families. They don't whine about not being able to live and work where they want, they do what has to be done to get the bills paid. There are too many selfish and lazy people out in society and think they are owed so much just because they were born. Some times we must make sacrifices to succeed in life. And to be given paid training and a good job after they are trained? Why is there any complaints about this plan?

Given what you just wrote for 3/4 of that paragraph what makes you believe this program will be successful? I think your hopes are higher than what logically happens when government is used as a job creator. What happens is individuals tend to spend their money more wisely than somebody else money. The government has a long history of this and this feel-good program would surely be no different.

Given what you just wrote for 3/4 of that paragraph what makes you believe this program will be successful? I think your hopes are higher than what logically happens when government is used as a job creator. What happens is individuals tend to spend their money more wisely than somebody else money. The government has a long history of this and this feel-good program would surely be no different.

Sorry, not quite clear on what you mean here....if the individual would spend their money more wisely than somebody else's money...would that not benefit the people who take their welfare money for granted? Maybe because they EARNED it, they would actually use it in a better way? I do not say that this will BE successful, but the welfare system is not practical and is sucking us dry. It needs an overhaul, and possibly this could work. I do have high hopes for this, but in reality there are too many lazy people who don't want to work for their living, they just want to b**** about what they don't have.

Sorry, not quite clear on what you mean here....if the individual would spend their money more wisely than somebody else's money...would that not benefit the people who take their welfare money for granted? Maybe because they EARNED it, they would actually use it in a better way? I do not say that this will BE successful, but the welfare system is not practical and is sucking us dry. It needs an overhaul, and possibly this could work. I do have high hopes for this, but in reality there are too many lazy people who don't want to work for their living, they just want to b**** about what they don't have.

I think you don't understand your own reasoning. You call welfare recipients lazy people yet somehow feel that giving them more will help them get a job and pay taxes.

Most individuals tend to spend their money more wisely than somebody else money... this is a fact. It's also a fact that government is the biggest waste of money ever created in the market because what you have is a whole group of individuals spending other peoples money.

You know, I've been waiting for one person here to ask why the program isn't being offered to those on unemployment insurance. These people are out of work and living on less than what they are used to living on. They also have a history of NOT being lazy. And they paid into the unemployment plan so their cheques are justified. But even if they were offered the program I'd still be against it because the government has absolutely no business using public funds to subsidize the private sector... especially for job posting. That should be the sole responsibility of the private business to offer incentives when hiring workers.

Think about it... if the proponents of this program are saying that it's designed to:

1. help those on welfare

2. fill jobs up north for private companies, where nobody wants to work

.....than how the hell does anybody believe for one second that this is a good plan?

It's a horrible idea and a waste of money.