Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Fossil foot bones hint at mystery walker

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 17,077 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 01 April 2012 - 06:40 AM, said:

Hominid isn't being used anymore. Hominin has replaced it.

I am aware that hominin is used today, as hominid was used 20 years or so ago. It does not follow from that, however, that hominid is no longer used. It is used today (as the link Swede posted shows) as an abbreviation to refer to the Family Hominidae, which includes the Hominins and all the Great Apes and their ancestors.

Just as Swede originally posted, and my 11 year-old link also demonstrated.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#32    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 6,270 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

Like I said, I'm going by what is being taught in anthropology classes right now.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#33    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,586 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 01 April 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

Like I said, I'm going by what is being taught in anthropology classes right now.

Perhaps you could supply a reference?

#34    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 6,270 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

View PostSwede, on 01 April 2012 - 11:24 PM, said:

Perhaps you could supply a reference?

Sure.

Jurmain, Robert, et. al. Essentials of Physical Anthropology, 8th Edition. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, 2011.

This was the text I used last.
I also have my notes from lectures which has the classifications, but I believe those are in storage. I will look for them.

As I also stated, the classifications are always changing as new discoveries are found and various samples of primate DNA are analyzed. What I posted was what I was taught last spring. I do not believe it has changed since then, but I could be wrong.

Edit; After reviewing several more sites and books that I have, it would appear that while hominin has seemed to replaced hominid in its original use (humans and ancestors), hominid has now become an inclusive term for all great apes and humans. I was unaware of this.
Leo, Swede, I apologize for any confusion.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 02 April 2012 - 12:05 AM.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#35    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,586 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 01 April 2012 - 11:56 PM, said:

Sure.

Jurmain, Robert, et. al. Essentials of Physical Anthropology, 8th Edition. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, 2011.

I also have my notes from lectures which has the classifications, but I believe those are in storage. I will look for them.

As I also stated, the classifications are always changing as new discoveries are found and various samples of primate DNA are analyzed. What I posted was what I was taught last spring. I do not believe it has changed since then, but I could be wrong.

Edit; After reviewing several more sites and books that I have, it would appear that while hominin has seemed to replaced hominid in its original use (humans and ancestors), hominid has now become an inclusive term for all great apes and humans. I was unaware of this.

Imaginary - No problem. Pleased that you have personally resolved such.

#36    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 17,077 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 01 April 2012 - 11:56 PM, said:

Sure.

No problem, and thanks. I apologise if I seemed over-insistent in pressing the case. Glad to have the misunderstanding resolved.  :tu:

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#37    thewild

thewild

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

• Y HELLO THAR

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

Learn something new everyday!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users