Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Stink Bugs in the UK?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,363 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

I have a cat, a real outdoors cat who only comes in for his dinner and a sleep then is off out again! I also have small patio filled with tubs of veggies and herbs growing and a bit of a lawn. A few days ago while having been seeing to my plants, I was having a cuppa and noticed a small triangular shaped bug on my sweat pants. Having not seen one before I just flicked it off and thought nothing more.

Then I saw a similar shaped bug but more green, on my door-glass - leading to my patio, and again, thought it was a strange shape but wasnt concerned. Then yesterday, sat at my pc, which is next to the patio door which is nearly always left ajar for the cat in nice weather, this rather large bug literally crawled right over my hand on the mouse, momentarily freaking me out. But I knocked this one into a cup so I could look at it closely. I saw it had wings which shuffled a bit but it didn't try to fly away. I looked it up on-line, and the closet thing I found was a 'stink bug' or a 'shield bug'

Posted ImagePosted Image

So Ive been looking them up more. Apparently they are native to Asia and common in the US, but its the FIRST time Ive ever seen one in the UK. Im used to seeing the wood louse bugs, spiders of all descriptions, silverfish etc, but this is a first for me. Just wondering if anyone else in the UK has seen them? Are they a new invasion or what?

I mentioned my cat as its a possibility on his journey's he picked one up on his fur, I mentioned my veggies as when searching around I found a link that called them, or a variety of them, green vegetable bugs. So Ive seen a green one and caught a brown one.

My only other concern is apparently they like houses for the warmth and the light so have decided if I see another one indoors, Im going to buy something to prevent them liking my house! Like some top rated bug killing spray or similar!  Or maybe as Ive only seen one actually in the house - Im over reacting?

So anyone know more about them and more importantly, any UK people seen one?

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

I have seen some of those in the past few year's, first time being approx 3 - 4 yrs ago, in various garden's,  but never knew what they were called

Posted Image

#3    Gamrat

Gamrat

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Uh oh... get ready for millions of them! They suck!

#4    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,363 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostGamrat, on 10 May 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

Uh oh... get ready for millions of them! They suck!

Oh no, how exactly do you mean? I read they're called stink bugs coz if you pop one...then it stinks, but Ive no plans on popping one!

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#5    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,363 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

View PostJackofalltrades, on 10 May 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

I have seen some of those in the past few year's, first time being approx 3 - 4 yrs ago, in various garden's,  but never knew what they were called

Oh righty - then I can stop imagining we are having a 'first time invasion' then!  I was thinking after reading some websites I should have kept the one I caught in case it 'was' a new arrival' and something to send off to some insect lab or whatever they are called for more investigation!!

I remember reading a story about a person who bought some bananas in the UK - which then caused an infestation of banana spiders due to one, or some, hiding in the bunch! Yuck!  

Thats the thing nowadays, so many different cultures in the UK having their food or goods shipped in with new little nasty bugs hiding away! I think OZ has it right with extremely strict controls on foods and goods bought into the country!

#6    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

There was a company that I used to work for year's ago that used to import the material's they needed from various different countries
Numerous time's in the shipping containers that came over, there was often Tarantulas and various other Spiders and Scorpion's and a few time's Rats

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users