Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * - 4 votes

my bigfoot experience


  • Please log in to reply
415 replies to this topic

#391    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

That's why you need to be armed heavily. Once the infamous Bigfoot Body Recover Unit gets mobilized you could be in for a serious firefight. Fortunately, I have experience in such things. A skill I've often hoped I'd never have to use again but who knows, eh?

Edited by keninsc, 15 April 2013 - 02:51 PM.


#392    BlueBomber

BlueBomber

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 236 posts
  • Joined:28 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Exactly. Any attempt to really bring down a creature like this would require an almost paramilitary type group with resources. If this ever happened, bringing in the body of big foot, it won't be one guy. Now, this whole idea of multiple Big Foots (Big Feet?) is new to me, especially with the intelligence displayed in jtheats awesome account.

A skeptical believer.

#393    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,901 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

View PostBlueBomber, on 15 April 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

Exactly. Any attempt to really bring down a creature like this would require an almost paramilitary type group with resources.

Why should it take a paramilitary group?

jtheat stood 30 feet away, face to face with this creature. Many many humans allegedly manage to stand face to face with this animal. Perfect opportunities to shoot it and kill it for all of humanity to finally know.
One human can take down dozens of other humans at one time.
What stops armed humans allegedly appears to be psychological not incapability.

And as for any friends of bigfoot nearby? The others might run off, or end up dead at your hand themselves. I've heard of older Grizzly offspring (still hanging with mom) turning on a human who shoots their mother. Does that mean the hunter will end up dead? Not necessarily at all.

I speculate it would take one well-placed shot. Maybe two or three if he has friends. Go to a habituation site and it'd be like baiting bear with donuts (er... nice meals on Tupperware).

Humans even manage to successfully take down very large game when the animal has natural  body "shields" or "armor".

Edited by QuiteContrary, 15 April 2013 - 06:29 PM.


#394    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,901 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

You could also legally hunt with a silencer (if you have the means and proper registration).
Then we can wonder "If a Biff falls dead in the woods, and there are no other Biffs around to hear it....


#395    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

My dear QC, have you any idea what it takes to legally carry a silencer? The paperwork alone will keep you busy for weeks, then the background checks then you wind up signing away some of your rights to having your home searched. Yes, really. Did you know that just owning a part for a silencer is seriously illegal? And most states ban therm for the purpose of hunting, yeah, I know you saw "Sons of Guns" but you missed the part about the legal stuff.

Edited by keninsc, 15 April 2013 - 08:22 PM.


#396    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,901 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 15 April 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

My dear QC, have you any idea what it takes to legally carry a silencer? The paperwork alone will keep you busy for weeks, then the background checks then you wind up signing away some of your rights to having your home searched. Yes, really. Did you know that just owning a part for a silencer is seriously illegal? And most states ban therm for the purpose of hunting, yeah, I know you saw "Sons of Guns" but you missed the part about the legal stuff.

I know several people who have them. It's $200 one time fee for federal paperwork and then once paperwork goes through it takes about 2 months for federal approval. And you can hunt with them in most states.
It's not complicated to get a silencer. You must also notify local law enforcement of your itinerary when transporting it. That might stop you, but not others.
It is perfectly feasible to hunt with a silencer.

*2 months

Edited by QuiteContrary, 15 April 2013 - 10:28 PM.


#397    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,901 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

I've been to indoor shooting ranges that have special sections just for silencer shooting so you don't have to wear eargear (which its nice to not have to wear).
Just this weekend, in fact.


#398    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

Yes, I know about them. I use to find some place out away from everyone. In Georgia was the best, an old Bauxite mine and sand pit. Great place really to practice "run and gun".

Post 911, rules on silencers changed pretty severely. I'd check on them before you take the word of mouth thing as fact. I work with a guy who when he got his it took seven months to get his license and he's already gotten two visits from the Federallise to "check up on him" Of course, he also has a class III license too. Fully automatic weapons and silencers I think might raise the proverbial stakes on that.


#399    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,901 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:18 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 15 April 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

Yes, I know about them. I use to find some place out away from everyone. In Georgia was the best, an old Bauxite mine and sand pit. Great place really to practice "run and gun".

Post 911, rules on silencers changed pretty severely. I'd check on them before you take the word of mouth thing as fact. I work with a guy who when he got his it took seven months to get his license and he's already gotten two visits from the Federallise to "check up on him" Of course, he also has a class III license too. Fully automatic weapons and silencers I think might raise the proverbial stakes on that.

I have checked the laws and as of Jan 2013 I counted legal hunting of all game in at least 25 + a few where it is legal for nongame or nuisance deer or for wildlife officials with approval.
I don't go by word of mouth to learn gun laws and no one else should either. You must stay up-to-date as well. Who knows what the laws will be in the near future.

Anyway, my point still stands. You can hunt with a silencer in half the states and there are people who own them and who do hunt with them. And so it is possible and feasible to have on your person a suppressed firearm that would take down a bigfoot.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 16 April 2013 - 01:26 AM.


#400    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 16 April 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

I have checked the laws and as of Jan 2013 I counted legal hunting of all game in at least 25 + a few where it is legal for nongame or nuisance deer or for wildlife officials with approval.
I don't go by word of mouth to learn gun laws and no one else should either. You must stay up-to-date as well. Who knows what the laws will be in the near future.

Anyway, my point still stands. You can hunt with a silencer in half the states and there are people who own them and who do hunt with them. And so it is possible and feasible to have on your person a suppressed firearm that would take down a bigfoot.

Wow, I guess I need to do some checking, huh?. Silencers used to be a big "Hell no!" when it came to hunting. However, regardless of their legality, I wouldn't recommend the use of a silencer if you get into a fire fight with the Bigfoot Body Recovery Unit. The noise might well act to scare them off, also, if I were to go looking for a Bigfoot to shoot I'd use a pump action shotgun loaded with sabot slugs 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 ounce size in 3" magnum loads. One shot in the middle of the chest and it'll stop a Bigfoot......hell, you can stop a charging elephant with one of those.

The reason for this selection is simple, your best range is going to be fifty to sixty yards at best, and you need to be close enough to be sure it's a Bigfoot and not some jackass in a monkey suit or a human hunter in a Ghiilie suit. Last thing I'd want is to drop a human then have to stand in open court and say, "Honest your Honor, I thought it was a Bigfoot I was shooting."

Edited by keninsc, 16 April 2013 - 01:41 AM.


#401    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,901 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:09 AM

I'm not recommending it either, however effective it could be. It was a baaad joke. Thus, the "If a Biff falls dead in the woods and there are no other Biffs around to hear it...
I then only responded to your reply.
So back to my original  speculation- One man with One firearm would be all that is necessary to take down One bigfoot. And maybe even a couple more if they appear.
And there are quite a few types of firearms that could do the deed, suppressed or not, imo.

Regardless, It seems it is brain not braun that is the alleged problem anyway. "I couldn't shoot"

Edited by QuiteContrary, 16 April 2013 - 03:12 AM.


#402    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:26 AM

Not so much that as we have a moral compass, or at least most of us do, unless you're a serial murderer or some other sort of psychopath. Dropping a Bigfoot for no other reason that it's a Bigfoot and it's within your red zone, will require that you be able to switch off that moral compass. That and if I go looking for one then I'll have already made the choice to take one, therefore my moral compass will be disengaged. I learned to switch it off in Nam, so......


#403    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,901 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:38 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 16 April 2013 - 03:26 AM, said:

Not so much that as we have a moral compass, or at least most of us do, unless you're a serial murderer or some other sort of psychopath. Dropping a Bigfoot for no other reason that it's a Bigfoot and it's within your red zone, will require that you be able to switch off that moral compass. That and if I go looking for one then I'll have already made the choice to take one, therefore my moral compass will be disengaged. I learned to switch it off in Nam, so......

I couldn't shoot one. I wouldn't know for sure what the heck I was shooting at if I ever thought I saw one. As a matter of self-defense or to defend someone else, however, yes.  

I've heard many on hear say they could and would shoot one, if they had the chance, to put this mystery to rest.


#404    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:13 AM

That's what happened to my two buddies who said they saw one, they just couldn't pull the trigger, A) because it looked too human, and B) because it wasn't threatening them. So, you be in good company on that. It's one of those things where you'd have to wrestle with the situational dynamics before and determine what it was you were going to do in the event you did encounter one. If you go out with the mindset of you're not sure then you're defeated before you begin, better to just a camera and have the gun for back up.

Personally, I'd like to have a POV camera like the police use and that way I'd have it all on camera without having to deal with making sure I got it on at the right time.

Edited by keninsc, 16 April 2013 - 04:22 AM.


#405    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

Forgot to mention this before:

It's easy to say what you'd do when you don't have to do it. Everyone thinks they can do anything, until they actually have to do it.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users