Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Simple minded worldly people

bluezodiac

How often do you deal with people who refuse to question reality and the world around us? I feel like I can't find enough people except online to talk about metaphysics, astrology, etc. It bothers the crap out of me when I try to relay knowledge to people and they look at you like you're crazy when you talk about the third eye and other stuff.

• Like 1

I'd put myself somewhere in the middle. I'm open to talking about it, and have some knowledge on most subjects, so I can at least discuss with those who are.... what might be described as "Overly Open Minded". I don't mind discussing with people about the pituitary gland and what function it may have had in ancient times, or even today. But I don't like the people who just believe anything because it comes from their favorite alternative source. :tu:

• Like 2

I have few friends because I only seek out interesting conversationalists who are open minded and like to discuss anything under the sun. I don't really bother with anyone else.

• Like 1

I'm pretty open minded and will listen. Had a few experiences of my own. However you can't blame people for being skeptical. There are so many out there that like to fool people and take advantage of them.

• Like 1

I don't mind discussing with people about the pituitary gland and what function it may have had in ancient times, or even today.

I would surmise that in ancient times it had the same function, producing various hormones for the body.

And gigantism, sometimes.

• Like 1

How often do you deal with people who refuse to question reality and the world around us? I feel like I can't find enough people except online to talk about metaphysics, astrology, etc. It bothers the crap out of me when I try to relay knowledge to people and they look at you like you're crazy when you talk about the third eye and other stuff.

Maybe they're bothered by crap too?
  • Like 5

Weirdly enough I have the opposite issue, where I've lost friends due to my compulsion to solve paranormal or supernatural things.

Guess my point is, if you're on the extreme of the cynic/believer spectrum either way, you're gonna ostracize yourself a lot.

• Like 2

I've only met three people outside of the internet like you describe. Other than that I find those type of people extremely rare.

But my advice to you bluezodiac is that you try not to dominate the conversation. People get annoyed when they feel like your preaching to them. Encourage them to express their own ideas by asking them what they think, and make them feel good about their answers by saying things like "wow that's a great idea!".

• Like 1

I had a near fight with my mom. I wasn't raised religious but my mom has recently found interest in religion, specifically the bible. She takes the book so literally. She actually believes the world is only 6000 years old and people roamed with the dinosaurs and that every mountain and island was created by God and that there is no such thing as tectonic plates. I suspect she got brainwashed by her most recent boyfriend who got her to watch these 9 videos where this apparent ex-professor lecture about how science is a religion and wrong. Then she accuses me of being a Satanist for having an interest in the paranormal. I have a messed up family.

IMO reality is incredibly complicated, intricately delicate and we all have our own little versions of it that we hold onto as though it is our own..

not surprisingly, people get p***ed when other challenge the realities they cling to.

What cracks me up, is the parrots out there who adopt other peoples versions of reality instead of discovering it for themselves.. Our world has far to many followers, not enough true leaders or visionaries IMO..

• Like 4

Well it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who joined this site to talk about weird things like astrology and the third eye :) My experience so far though, has been kind of rough. It's kind of crazy that for a site called Unexplained Mysteries so many people are rude and un-open to really weird topics.

My advice would be to check every topic you post before you post it, and to read every single word of every link you provide on the subject because people on this site are unforgiving when it comes to sources or "old" topics with a new twist.

I think they should have an astrology forum though- there's a lot to it and I've been fascinated by the zodiac since I was a child. After all, it IS the first form of human psychology.

Anyway, I do think there are more skeptics than believers in the strange and unusual. It's natural for people to want to disbelieve what seems to be unexplainable. Sometimes it frightens them- But I think strange and unusual things are what makes the world an interesting place!

Well it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who joined this site to talk about weird things like astrology and the third eye :) My experience so far though, has been kind of rough. It's kind of crazy that for a site called Unexplained Mysteries so many people are rude and un-open to really weird topics.

My advice would be to check every topic you post before you post it, and to read every single word of every link you provide on the subject because people on this site are unforgiving when it comes to sources or "old" topics with a new twist.

I think they should have an astrology forum though- there's a lot to it and I've been fascinated by the zodiac since I was a child. After all, it IS the first form of human psychology.

Anyway, I do think there are more skeptics than believers in the strange and unusual. It's natural for people to want to disbelieve what seems to be unexplainable. Sometimes it frightens them- But I think strange and unusual things are what makes the world an interesting place!

It's swings both ways here. Sometimes there are more believers then skeptics, sometimes the site is better and there are more skeptics. (Kidding.... sort of).

Most of us that are skeptics are involved in some field of science or science related careers, so we do tend to come across a bit heavy handed.

I can only take so many "I'm a werewolf" threads, though. Thank god there are no more twilight movies coming out.

I try to ride the middle line for the most part. I don't believe in the mystical as being anything outside of the normal, meaning there is always an explanation for it. What I personally find interesting is how powerful the mind can be.

Boy..I sure do love threads that start of basically saying or at least implying that anyone who doesn't prattle about astrology and pseudo-science as if it were real are stupid/simple-minded/ignorant. Just lovely....

• Like 3

I think it goes both ways. There are skeptics that get their jollys and giggles by waiting around for some poor teen to pounce all over his fantasy, then there are the ubber religous who can't see past thier scriptures. There are also a fair amount of people the come through with actual mental problems and are struggling to interpret their experiences. It is tuff to get passed the cynics and certain subjects, some seemed determind to dominate the thread with their superior intelect :rolleyes:. My sugestion is to ask politely not to engage In skeptical remarks and ask them to pretend like it was real. then ignore the inevitable comments meant to mock the subject.

• Like 1

Skeptical remarks can be a good thing. They allow both parties to question a subjective truth. Skeptics can force you out of your box. To see things from a different perspective. To me this is a good thing.

• Like 1

I think that a lot of people don't realize that being "open-minded" does not mean that someone has to blindly accept anything that they hear. I'm pretty open minded and will listen to anything someone wants to toss around, to a point. But, I'm still going to ask questions about it, examine it, and judge it based on modern scientific principles. So while I'm happy to listen to someone claim that the Earth is only 6000 years old, my first question is going to be "where is your evidence?". If they can't produce any, the conversation is over. That's not me being close-minded, because I entertained the notion long enough to get all the info. If the other person somehow had evidence supporting their claim, then I'm content to listen and ask more questions.

That being said, if someone starts up by saying that they are a werewolf, angel, or anything else from a teenage fanfiction, I'm just gonna mess with them.

Like the show said "I WANT TO BELIEVE" but I won't give up rational thought in order to "believe".

If there is a picture then I will check it out. If there is another logical explanation to the image then it isn't evidence. If it is unverifiable, not evidence.

"Personal experience"? Nope, it's a story. Nothing that I can use as evidence to use as support. Heck even my own personal experiences receive the same amount of scrutiny.

"Multiple people saw/heard/felt it". See above and research groupthink.

Footprints, hair, poop. Great. Find a reputable group of REAL scientists to test it.

I find the "unexplained mysteries" of the world fascinating and would LOVE to have some of it actually be factual. THAT is why most of us "skeptics" are here.

Also, perpetuating nonsense in lieu of doing or learning something constructive is just silly.

Some of us may seem short but I find that most of the "skeptics" are just very direct and the "tone" that some say is negative is self-imposed.

In short -

funny-Bill-Nye-Science-guy-meme.jpg

the-good-thing-about-science-is-its-true.jpg

Nibs

• Like 4

The only real thing that personal experiences... eyewitness reports... are good for is determining a starting point in which to go look for possible evidence. They really aren't considered (scientific) evidence at all.