Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rock Apes

Farmer77

I recently read a short article about bigfoot type creatures in Vietnam which American troops referred to as "Rock Apes". I was wondering if any of our members (Veterans especially) have any first or even second hand stories regarding these creatures.

Thanks in advance.

I recently read a short article about bigfoot type creatures in Vietnam which American troops referred to as "Rock Apes". I was wondering if any of our members (Veterans especially) have any first or even second hand stories regarding these creatures.

Thanks in advance.

I guess you already know of this site, but it gives a bit more information about "rock apes":

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/vn-rock-ape/

Awesome I do read Cryptomundo relatively often, but honestly when im looking for information this site is the first thing to pop in my head.

Thanks for the link!

Ok, Ik you asked for Vets only but, I do have a first hand account with Bigfoot like creatures, if you're intrested

Ok, Ik you asked for Vets only but, I do have a first hand account with Bigfoot like creatures, if you're intrested

Oh I wasn't saying vets only at all, just seemed the most relevant because of the article I read earlier. I know its a little off topic but I absolutely love first hand accounts of sightings of all kinds, please post!

People have claimed they saw Bigfoot around here. Wonder if Rock Apes and Bigfoot are the same.

If a cryptid ape were to be found, vietnam would be agood place to find it, it is already known as a hotbed of new species discovery, and some of the most recent large (relativly speaking) new mammal species discovered have come from there.

People have claimed they saw Bigfoot around here. Wonder if Rock Apes and Bigfoot are the same.

That's the theory anyways. I do find it interesting that BF has been reported as supposedly throwing rocks at people, and these creatures were dubbed rock apes by the troops because they threw rocks at them.

Given the difference of thier habitats (and physical descriptions, with the rock apes being described as smaller in many or most instances than in similar big foot sightings), I doubt that 'big foots' and 'rock apes' would be the same species, should both turn out to exist.

Given the difference of thier habitats (and physical descriptions, with the rock apes being described as smaller in many or most instances than in similar big foot sightings), I doubt that 'big foots' and 'rock apes' would be the same species, should both turn out to exist.

Maybe maybe not, heck there are bears in the jungle and in the arctic , jaguars in the jungle and the desert, so, theoretically, why not Bigfoot in the jungle and in the forest? Assuming either actually exists of course.

you will note that jungle dwelling bears and arctic swelling bears are not the same species, despite both being 'bears'.

One would thing that a war zone would be a fairly dangerous place for a bigfoot-type creature. Surely if there were a breeding population, one would have turned up dead somewhere. Particularly given that many other native animals in Vietnam ended up getting caught in the crossfire.

you will note that jungle dwelling bears and arctic swelling bears are not the same species, despite both being 'bears'.

Of course, yet still related. Even within the forest dwelling bears there are great variations in genetics based on location.

One would thing that a war zone would be a fairly dangerous place for a bigfoot-type creature. Surely if there were a breeding population, one would have turned up dead somewhere. Particularly given that many other native animals in Vietnam ended up getting caught in the crossfire.

According to the VAST research ive done, LOL not really I just heard of these things today, they were caught in the crossfire quite often. The cryptomundo link posted above links to a couple of really neat stories some of which , especially the comments below the article, adress your post.

I was stationed up North both times, heard all sort of stupid stories, mostly bored GI's and Marines passing the time.

Edited by keninsc

According to the VAST research ive done, LOL not really I just heard of these things today, they were caught in the crossfire quite often. The cryptomundo link posted above links to a couple of really neat stories some of which , especially the comments below the article, adress your post.

Well then let's take it to the next level - where are the photos? I've seen photos of GIs in Vietnam with all sorts of dead animals - tigers, etc. - and given the penchant for trophy collecting, you'd think there would be some evidence somewhere.

About 6yrs ago I was hanging out with my friend in his backyard which was linded with woods, well he started talking about how hed been hearing so really weired noises and so we decided to go looking around, well right before we went into the woods we heard a branch fall from the tree so I pulled up the binicolurs i had been using, with my very own two eyes, I saw a creature about 6-7feet tall, brown hair covering its body, and LONG, lanky arms retreating into some brush. From then on, we always made sure there was a knife around when we went into the woods.

It was something i wish i could relive

How far away would estimate you were from it? You say you were using biniocolurs.

Thanks in advance.

bigtroutak, I spent two years in Vietnam. In 1966 we killed a tribe or whatever they call a bunch of them. There were six of them. As I recall, they were about four feet tall and red forearms and darker maybe dark grey body with a lighter V down their chest. It was dark so we didn't get a real good look at them. We kinda thought they looked like they were wearing a tuxedo.

Odie :gun:

• Like 1

bigtroutak, I spent two years in Vietnam. In 1966 we killed a tribe or whatever they call a bunch of them. There were six of them. As I recall, they were about four feet tall and red forearms and darker maybe dark grey body with a lighter V down their chest. It was dark so we didn't get a real good look at them. We kinda thought they looked like they were wearing a tuxedo.

Odie :gun:

And you killed them because....?

Edited by QuiteContrary

And you killed them because....?

Same reason we all did, they moved and crossed our gun sights. Besides, they were probably colaborators.

:gun:

• Like 1

About 6yrs ago I was hanging out with my friend in his backyard which was linded with woods, well he started talking about how hed been hearing so really weired noises and so we decided to go looking around, well right before we went into the woods we heard a branch fall from the tree so I pulled up the binicolurs i had been using, with my very own two eyes, I saw a creature about 6-7feet tall, brown hair covering its body, and LONG, lanky arms retreating into some brush. From then on, we always made sure there was a knife around when we went into the woods.

It was something i wish i could relive

In Vietnam?

How far away would estimate you were from it? You say you were using biniocolurs.

Hmmm, Idk maybe, 15yards? and No, it was in America, Ive never been out of the states, Alought I do want to go and live in London

15 yards? Three car lengths? ......roughly?

......and you were using binoculars?

Not strictly on topic, but Rock Ape is the nickname given to members of the Royal Air Force Regiment. The legend has it, they bear a strong resemblance to the Barbary Macaques that live in Gibraltar, (according to other Servicemen, anyway!) In reality, it refers to the Hamadryas Baboons that inhabit the former West Aden Protectorate. Ok, I'll shut up now, sorry.