Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Best Actors/ Actresses

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16    ChewiesArmy

ChewiesArmy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

• When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. - Cherokee

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:03 AM

View Posteuroninja, on 01 March 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

Philip Seymour Hoffman is a one trick pony just like John Malkovich.

Yeah...because his roles in Boogie Nights, Along came Polly, and Capote are all pretty much the same role.

"And how do you know God doesn't swear? Especially taking a good look at the human race, it must be a part of his daily ritual" -Lewis Black

#17    euroninja

euroninja

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

• Ultra alpha male here.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:53 AM

Right. The role he almost broke away from the seymour school of acting was Flawless.

John 14:16
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the father, but by me.

#18    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,824 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

Joe Pesci : the best one trick pony there is

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#19    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

Johnny Debt, William Dafoe, Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, Leo Dicaprio, Natalie Portman and a whole mess of others.

#20    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Robert Downey Jr and Scarlett Johansson. Even in the dross Avengers franchise they shine. Did anyone ever see him in Chaplin? Just brilliant.

#21    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,824 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

I just saw Gary Oldman on TV ... he's won something for best on screen villain before haven't he ? If not I suggest we give him a UM Screen Actors Award for best lifetime Achievement for contributions to the art of Personifying Screen Villains.

Nominations ?

Hear Ye Hear Ye ... all in favor say ... it

aye

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#22    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Psychic Spy

• 1,190 posts

• I see shadows on the road again wonder if they coming for my soul. I get trapped up in this mode I'm in and will I every grow old.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 02 March 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

I just saw Gary Oldman on TV ... he's won something for best on screen villain before haven't he ? If not I suggest we give him a UM Screen Actors Award for best lifetime Achievement for contributions to the art of Personifying Screen Villains.

Nominations ?

aye

only one i know of is a saturn award for dracula, either way i love gary oldman loooved his work in the professional

#23    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,175 posts

• Why was Jesus' tomb empty?

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 02 March 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

Joe Pesci : the best one trick pony there is
LOL, Joe Pesci! He's totally underrated -- Very funny and yet, bratty dangerous with an Oscar on his belt. Excellent choice, third_eye.

"Also, if they (Gospels) were written early (before 70 AD), this would mean that there would not have been enough time for myth to creep into the gospel accounts since it was the eyewitnesses to Christ's life that wrote them."

#24    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,175 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 02 March 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

Nominations ?

aye
Well yeah, Royal Shakespeare Company -- count me in. Talk about body of work, literally. From vampire to mutants...

Edited by braveone2u, 03 March 2013 - 01:27 AM.

"Also, if they (Gospels) were written early (before 70 AD), this would mean that there would not have been enough time for myth to creep into the gospel accounts since it was the eyewitnesses to Christ's life that wrote them."

#25    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• 1,799 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:50 AM

Daniel Day-Lewis and Meryl Streep are acting royalty, and an argument can be made that they're the King of Actors and Queen of Actresses in our generation. I have a list of favorites that is too long to type. It extends from Humphrey Bogart to Paul Newman to Robert De Niro to Sean Penn to George Clooney to the next big thing. That's just my list for *American* actors.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#26    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,175 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

Kevin Spacey in House of Cards, it's a must-see.

#27    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 5,967 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Gary Oldman stands out by a mile.

Others:

Hugh Jackman
Tom Hanks
Brad Pitt (Loved him in Fight Club and 12 Monkeys)
Edward Norton
Angelina Jolie
Sally Field
Cate Blanchett
Sam Worthington
Sigourney Weaver
Harrison Ford
Willem Dafoe
Sean Connery
Leonardo DiCaprio (except for Titanic)
Helena Bonham Carter

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#28    Tia

Tia

The Naughty Angel.

• 6,272 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Jeremy Renner in anything from The Town and earlier.

My faves of his The hurt Locker...Oscar Nomination

Neo Ned

12 and Holding

Dahmer.....I'm pretty sure he won a few independent awards for that one.

I feel recently he's sold out to Hollywood, but hopefully this year we'll see a return to his awesome acting skills.When he has a great part he literally becomes that character.

Edited by Tia, 06 March 2013 - 12:48 PM.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. Gandhi.
HEY I WON!

#29    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,339 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 03 March 2013 - 04:50 AM, said:

Daniel Day-Lewis and Meryl Streep are acting royalty, and an argument can be made that they're the King of Actors and Queen of Actresses in our generation. I have a list of favorites that is too long to type. It extends from Humphrey Bogart to Paul Newman to Robert De Niro to Sean Penn to George Clooney to the next big thing. That's just my list for *American* actors.

You listed 3 of my favorites Bogart,Newman,and De Niro all 3 are/were very versatile unlike most today where special effects must take up a good portion of the film so people do not realize how poor their acting really is.

I cant put clooney in as a best actor he just always seems the same.Very over rated in my opinion,his best work to me was in O Brother,Where Art Thou.I love that movie haha

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#30    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• 1,799 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:22 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 06 March 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

You listed 3 of my favorites Bogart,Newman,and De Niro all 3 are/were very versatile unlike most today where special effects must take up a good portion of the film so people do not realize how poor their acting really is.

I cant put clooney in as a best actor he just always seems the same.Very over rated in my opinion,his best work to me was in O Brother,Where Art Thou.I love that movie haha

I couldn't agree more with your point about special effects, taking the place of superb acting, in many new movies. The weird thing is that some of the new special effects look more fake than some of the ones in old films. We see the best and the worst of CGI. It's a shame when creators try to use CGI as a substitute for good plots. Stories make or break movies, and a bad script seldom can be saved by bells and whistles. Still, I love it when the two are affectively combined in a classic movie like the original "Star Wars". You get the best of both worlds. Now, a lot of movies rely too much on special effects at the expense of good plots. BTW, I'll add Nicholson and Pacino to my list of celluloid thespians. :tu:

There is one reality with billions of versions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users