Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

NY Soda Ban Passed

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16    TrueBeliever

TrueBeliever

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 14 September 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

What is the health impact in terms of cost due to fizzy drinks?

The US has an obesity problem. In addition too much sugar rots teeth and causes diabetes. Is it right to therefore ban the stuff?

I would say no as its a violation of peoples freedoms. Therefore different approach should be take such as a fizzy drinks tax. The tax should be set at a level that generates enough revenue to cover the health costs caused by them.

red meats are just as bad for people, potato chips were listed somewhere as a number one offender for bulging waistlines.....candy bars, alcohol is a big problem in so many ways....maybe alcohol sizes should be reduced.....it's idiotic. It IS a slippery slope.....and its only get worse. Not sleeping enough they say makes you gain weight...are they gonna force you on Ambien? it s just stupid. Bloomberg is an idiot...a dangerous idiot too.

#17    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

What a silly thing for a government to focus on.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#18    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

If only there was a way to beat the system on this one.
Hmmmm?
Lets see, i can no longer spend $6 on a Super Large soda at the theater......
But i can spend $3 on a medium one........
If only they had a way i could, lets say, reuse my medium cup to get more soda during the movie.....
Oh wait, THATS IT!!!!!!
Our bright Govt officials overlooked the simple fact that we can refill the smaller cups and therefore get the same amount of sugary water that we had before and at a LOWER price!!!!!
And people wonder why i cant stand these Liberal Democrats.

#19    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,582 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

View PostRender, on 14 September 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

Are there any valid proposals without banning stuff or raising prices unreasonably high?

No. Just leave people to their own devices. You must live and learn. This is America. This guy thinks he's New York's dad. Vote this jerk out. Wouldn't New Yorkers rather make their own decisions?

Posted Image

#20    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,111 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 14 September 2012 - 08:16 AM, said:

http://www.npr.org/b...man?ft=1&f=1014

The ban passed ,8-0 .If no one knows this,the panel that passed it,were hand picked by fuhrer bloomberg .He does everything that way btw .
I'm thinking of calling a lawyer,because as a citizen,this violates my civil rights .

Yeah really . I'm so done putting up with this ahole .

It's supposed to go into affect in march of 2013 .
Everyone will just buy soda at the supermarket,and sneak it in . I know I will .

you actually more right than you realize, google hitler\nazi antismoking campain.

Edited by aztek, 14 September 2012 - 09:07 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#21    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

View Postaztek, on 14 September 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

you actually more right than you realize, google hitler\nazi antismoking campain.

I dont understand why dont just remove all the rubbish and sell nicotine sticks.

#22    Varelse

Varelse

Unanimous Animous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

• The deterioration of every government begins with the decay of the principles upon which it was founded. -Montesquieu

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

If I want to drink sugary pop until my fingers look like sausages then so f-ing be it. But I'd be more pissed off if I liked big diet sodas. Now those guys are screwed too. Or are retailers going to be allowed to keep large cups around for diet drinks?

Just when I thought I'd seen the pinnacle of over reaching nanny state govt BS I read about this. Wow. Just utterly Wow.

On the horizon: Biochips that monitor calorie/alcohol/tobacco/fun intake. Don't go over your daily allotment or the nanny cops will show up and write you a hefty fine...

God is neither a Christian, a Jew, a Muslim or any other 'self ordained' entity.
We hold these truths to be self-evident.

#23    TrueBeliever

TrueBeliever

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

View PostMr. Smith, on 14 September 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

If I want to drink sugary pop until my fingers look like sausages then so f-ing be it. But I'd be more pissed off if I liked big diet sodas. Now those guys are screwed too. Or are retailers going to be allowed to keep large cups around for diet drinks?

Just when I thought I'd seen the pinnacle of over reaching nanny state govt BS I read about this. Wow. Just utterly Wow.

On the horizon: Biochips that monitor calorie/alcohol/tobacco/fun intake. Don't go over your daily allotment or the nanny cops will show up and write you a hefty fine...

lol..I didn't even think about the diet soda and will their size be limited too! OMG....Bloomberg is such an idiot! it is just mind boggling really.

#24    Drayno

Drayno

Draynor's Finest

• 3,705 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

The Daily Show did an awesome coverage of this..

http://www.thedailys...drink-different

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II

#25    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 14 September 2012 - 08:16 AM, said:

I'm thinking of calling a lawyer,because as a citizen,this violates my civil rights .

Let the giant corporations that sell it do that work for you. Restraint of trade. They'll figure it out.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#26    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,694 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

Maybe what NYC should do is issue Obesity Cards. The affected retailers will be required to see your Obesity Card, and if you are above a certain BMI you don't get the big drink size. Or, maybe they should just have scales everywhere and if your height vesus weight comes out as Obese, then you don't get the drink.

But then this is not about helping Obese people, is it? It is about being Equal, so that all suffer, not that a few are helped.

Singling out those who are the supposed problem would be discriminatory, right?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#27    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:36 PM

Need to get that republican, use to be democrat, billionaire soda Nazi out of office.

People will always do things that aren't good for them like vote for Bloomberg for a third term after he had the law changed so he could and of course the sheeple went along with that.

#28    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,694 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

View PostMr. Smith, on 14 September 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

Good point. Diet soda is supposed to be un-regulated. How are the officials going to know if John Knackbar gave John Sodafreak a diet soda or a regular soda. Is there going to be a TSA style organization that checks all sodas for "diet"ness?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#29    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

What happened to people making their own decisions about their personal life without the government being involved?  Next they will be a ban on condoms because it promotes a loose lifestyle.

#30    Future_Ikann

Future_Ikann

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

This reminds me of a Movie, ah yes Demolition Man

Lenina Huxley: Ah, smoking is not good for you, and it's been deemed that anything not good for you is bad; hence, illegal. Alcohol, caffeine, contact sports, meat...
John Spartan: Are you ****ting me?
Moral Statute Machine: John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.
John Spartan: What the hell is that?
Moral Statute Machine: John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.
Lenina Huxley: Bad language, chocolate, gasoline, uneducational toys and anything spicy. Abortion is also illegal, but then again so is pregnancy if you don't have a licence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users