Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

WIndows 8. Like, dislike, hate? Who cares?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#16    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

I'll never know.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#17    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,406 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 16 November 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

I tried it out for about an hour or so, then formatted and reinstalled the previous OS. I find Windows 8 entirely unusable, cumbersome, and the learning curve is too great for the ways in which I use my desktop pc. I will wait until Windows 9, then see what happens. I just don't have the time, or desire to relearn what I've already learned and I'm not old either, I'm actually a fairly tech savvy person as well.

Was it one of the beta loads or the release candidate load?

Nice midterms democrats.  As Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#18    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

View PostMerc14, on 16 November 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

Was it one of the beta loads or the release candidate load?

It was the 9600 release build.  I'm sure I'll eventually migrate to it, I'll take a look at it again when SP1 rolls out probably.  Just so busy now with everything, I don't have the time to pour into it.

#19    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,406 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 16 November 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

It was the 9600 release build.  I'm sure I'll eventually migrate to it, I'll take a look at it again when SP1 rolls out probably.  Just so busy now with everything, I don't have the time to pour into it.
Thanks for the insight.  I like the OS but probably am not recommending it to the casual user for teh reasons you listed.

#20    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

I haven't used it yet, have they messed up anything?

When I went from xp to 7 (issed vista cause it was horrible) I noticed thta thye made things more long winded in 7 for people who actually knew what they are doing. Easier to explain some parts to those who don't know, but silly  unnecessary changes to the parts experiences IT people use. I find myself syaing all the time "why would you change this?!".

Has that happened with 8 at all?

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#21    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostCoffey, on 16 November 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

I haven't used it yet, have they messed up anything?

When I went from xp to 7 (issed vista cause it was horrible) I noticed thta thye made things more long winded in 7 for people who actually knew what they are doing. Easier to explain some parts to those who don't know, but silly  unnecessary changes to the parts experiences IT people use. I find myself syaing all the time "why would you change this?!".

Has that happened with 8 at all?

Well, there's no start menu in Windows 8, and the desktop feature is kind of useless from what I could determine lol. Our IT manager told us they left it in because some applications require a "desktop" so to speak.  Otherwise, I think everything else is handled from the metro interface (MS doesn't call it metro anymore) which seems to be more of a touch screen tablet nature, and not really geared towards desktop usage, but to each his own I guess.

Edited by WoIverine, 16 November 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#22    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

View PostMerc14, on 16 November 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

Thanks for the insight.  I like the OS but probably am not recommending it to the casual user for teh reasons you listed.

Thanks Merc, sorry if my initial post came off as "Ranty", I didn't mean for it to come out like that. lol, I'm actually curious to see where MS goes with 8, and how the functionality will evolve, or if they'll move on to Windows 9 in a year, or two, should be interesting.

#23    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 16 November 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

Well, there's no start menu in Windows 8, and the desktop feature is kind of useless from what I could determine lol. Our IT manager told us they left it in because some applications require a "desktop" so to speak.  Otherwise, I think everything else is handled from the metro interface (MS doesn't call it metro anymore) which seems to be more of a touch screen tablet nature, and not really geared towards desktop usage, but to each his own I guess.

Ah I see, I did hear it would be more like a tablet system. Xbox GUI had that done to it as well so they would all work well together. (including the windows phone)

I can understand why, especially with touchscreen and tablets being more popular now. I just don't think it's very ideal for people who work with computers. Like for IT techies, Musician/producers, artists and game designer etc.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#24    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

Can I vote 'who cares'? Posted Image

;)

#25    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

View PostBling, on 16 November 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

Can I vote 'who cares'? Posted Image

;)

LOL, get my sandwich. :P

#26    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

Ill get it through the microsoft academic alliance and give it a crack sometime. I think Microsoft are taking a turn for the better and actually really innovating. I think with Windows 8 and this direction they are taking with all their products. They can once again take market share.

#27    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,587 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

From what I have heard from various sources Windows 8 is ok, but in U.K , its a lot more expensive than $40.00 , running at about $120.00 , (about £90.00) which is ok if you are earning and not on a pension,plus you have to buy extra software which was previously free.. I have Vista and Windows 7, having repaired an old Vista, (which I was told by a P.C firm that it was unrepairable)  and for what I use I am quite happy with either system. I  dont like these "touch screen tablet", thingies.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#28    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,406 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 16 November 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

Thanks Merc, sorry if my initial post came off as "Ranty", I didn't mean for it to come out like that. lol, I'm actually curious to see where MS goes with 8, and how the functionality will evolve, or if they'll move on to Windows 9 in a year, or two, should be interesting.

I am curious as well and think that the phone, tablet and desktop, all having the same general GUI will, hopefully, lead to some good things.  Skydrive is an integral part of the whole ecosystem.  Just came from a customer's house (replaced a PSU) and she said she was about to throw her new Win 8 Laptop thru the window.  LOL.  I showed her a few things and she is a bit less upset because it is a smoother and faster system but not a real happy camper at this point.

View PostBling, on 16 November 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

Can I vote 'who cares'? Posted Image ;)

It was in the thread title. :tu:

View PostOrcseeker, on 16 November 2012 - 10:13 PM, said:

Ill get it through the microsoft academic alliance and give it a crack sometime. I think Microsoft are taking a turn for the better and actually really innovating. I think with Windows 8 and this direction they are taking with all their products. They can once again take market share.

Hopefully so as Apple needs competition, as does any market.

View Postspud the mackem, on 16 November 2012 - 10:22 PM, said:

From what I have heard from various sources Windows 8 is ok, but in U.K , its a lot more expensive than $40.00 , running at about $120.00 , (about £90.00) which is ok if you are earning and not on a pension,plus you have to buy extra software which was previously free.. I have Vista and Windows 7, having repaired an old Vista, (which I was told by a P.C firm that it was unrepairable) and for what I use I am quite happy with either system. I dont like these "touch screen tablet", thingies.

The $40 is a special running through January 31st.  You download and upgrade version of Windows 8 Pro and directly upgrade a Vista or 7 install without losing anything.  Supposedly works well, unlike past upgrades, but takes a while to complete.  I have used the upgrade version to do fresh installs (clean drive wiuth no version of windows on it) on five machines now and had to use the registry tweak only twice.  Registry tweak, for those interested is:
  • Open regedit by pressing Windows-q, entering regedit and selecting the result from the list of hits.
  • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
  • Change MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0
  • Go back to the start screen and enter cmd there.
  • Right-click Command Prompt and select to run it as administrator.
  • Type slmgr /rearm on the command line and hit enter.
  • Reboot Windows now.
  • Run the activation utility afterwards, enter your product key to activate Windows.

#29    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,587 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

View PostMerc14, on 16 November 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

I am curious as well and think that the phone, tablet and desktop, all having the same general GUI will, hopefully, lead to some good things.  Skydrive is an integral part of the whole ecosystem.  Just came from a customer's house (replaced a PSU) and she said she was about to throw her new Win 8 Laptop thru the window.  LOL.  I showed her a few things and she is a bit less upset because it is a smoother and faster system but not a real happy camper at this point.

It was in the thread title. :tu:

Hopefully so as Apple needs competition, as does any market.

The $40 is a special running through January 31st.  You download and upgrade version of Windows 8 Pro and directly upgrade a Vista or 7 install without losing anything.  Supposedly works well, unlike past upgrades, but takes a while to complete.  I have used the upgrade version to do fresh installs (clean drive wiuth no version of windows on it) on five machines now and had to use the registry tweak only twice.  Registry tweak, for those interested is:
  • Open regedit by pressing Windows-q, entering regedit and selecting the result from the list of hits.
  • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
  • Change MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0
  • Go back to the start screen and enter cmd there.
  • Right-click Command Prompt and select to run it as administrator.
  • Type slmgr /rearm on the command line and hit enter.
  • Reboot Windows now.
  • Run the activation utility afterwards, enter your product key to activate Windows.
   Tks 4 the info , I might give it a try when I have some spare time, cheers

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#30    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,500 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 16 November 2012 - 10:22 PM, said:

From what I have heard from various sources Windows 8 is ok, but in U.K , its a lot more expensive than $40.00 , running at about $120.00 , (about £90.00) which is ok if you are earning and not on a pension,plus you have to buy extra software which was previously free.. I have Vista and Windows 7, having repaired an old Vista, (which I was told by a P.C firm that it was unrepairable)  and for what I use I am quite happy with either system. I  dont like these "touch screen tablet", thingies.
It's only £29 for the download or £12.99 for a dvd, Spud but yer better staying with Win 7, imo.  I only upgraded cos I was sick of looking at XP and who can argue with £30 for a new legit OS? :) And thank you for the heads-up, Merc... I never knew it was on special.

Edited by Eldorado, 17 November 2012 - 05:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users