Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth's Biggest Doomsday Event

Persia

Earth's biggest mass extinction rolled over the planet like hell on wheels.

For the first time, paleontologists have pinned down exactly when and how fast the granddaddy of all mass extinctions took place, and their findings leave the finger of blame pointing squarely at a colossal and long-lived injection of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Sound familiar?

http://news.discovery.com/earth/permian-mass-extinction-death-by-carbon-dioxide-111118.html

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Little Fish

• Professor Buzzkill

• Druidus-Logos

• JGirl

Earth's biggest mass extinction rolled over the planet like hell on wheels.

For the first time, paleontologists have pinned down exactly when and how fast the granddaddy of all mass extinctions took place, and their findings leave the finger of blame pointing squarely at a colossal and long-lived injection of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Sound familiar?

http://news.discover...ide-111118.html

If the oceans were to warm up a few degrees that injection could come from all the methane trapped on the ocean floor.

If the oceans were to warm up a few degrees that injection could come from all the methane trapped on the ocean floor.

Yep, that has always been my biggest concern - and seemingly the least advertised on the world stage which is strange being that it is so obvious a consequence.

so volcanoes produce more co2 than humans then. haven't the worry brigade been saying the exact opposite?

what about this study?

%231%20CO2EarthHistory.gif

where was this co2 injection and how does it compare to todays value of co2?

answer: 252 million years ago, average global temperature increased 10 celcius and co2 increased from 400ppm to 2000ppm.

is it rational to panic and deindustrialise the world over an increase of 50 parts per million co2 and 0.7 Celcius?

why was the temperature flat 500 million years ago when co2 was 7000ppm?

so volcanoes produce more co2 than humans then. haven't the worry brigade been saying the exact opposite?

what about this study?

answer: 252 million years ago, average global temperature increased 10 celcius and co2 increased from 400ppm to 2000ppm.

is it rational to panic and deindustrialise the world over an increase of 50 parts per million co2 and 0.7 Celcius?

You know the answer to all those questions so why ask again ?

Nice to see that old graph re-emerge yet again. So what do you think it shows Little Fish ? Not much of interest for present conditions, but it shows how bad things can get when CO2 runs away.

Br Cornelius

So what do you think it shows Little Fish ?

zero correlation between co2 and temperature?

that the discovery channel is full of s?

Edited by Little Fish

zero correlation between co2 and temperature?

that the discovery channel is full of s?

Good luck on disproving the physics of CO2 and the greenhouse effect. You always set yourself such high goals :lol:

I know someones full of S and its not the discovery channel :tu:

Br Cornelius

what about this study?

Implied+Facepalm.jpg

There are so many more variables than just CO2. I just really don't quite know what to say.

Edited by Druidus-Logos

Implied+Facepalm.jpg

There are so many more variables than just CO2. I just really don't quite know what to say.

Cherry picking is what I say - Little Fish is an expert.

Br Cornelius

Come on alarmists, we are constantly being told that CO2 has never been this high, and that life can't survive much more. When graphs like this one is put in front of you the tune changes to "Oh, its not all about CO2!"

I understand that there have been many changes in the world since 250 MYA (i.e ocean currents, solar max/min, trade winds, ect) but even the most adament alarmist has to admit that CO2 and temperatures have only correlated for the last 200,000 years of the earth history. Which is about as long as man has been around, or around 1/18500th of the history of earth

Cherry picking is what I say - Little Fish is an expert.

Br Cornelius

I've been up for over 54 hours, I've been drinking a little to wind down for sleep, I'm bound to make a few stupid posts. It was wrong of me to post that image, I made a lapse of judgement. But I still don't think that you can just correlate these two things, CO2 and temperature, and take them in isolation of everything else. If that's not what the graph is implying, and I'm even more in error, then my apologies, and I can only blame the sleep deprivation.

There are more variables than carbon dioxide. The atmosphere of Earth was composed of different gases at different times, and this might have contributed to variations in how the atmosphere affected the climate at different time. And it's not just the atmospheric variables that matter. There's so much more involved in determining the climate at any particular time than just the presence of certain greenhouse gases. Earth's climate cycles are complex phenomenon; the climate at one time is a product of many different factors.

I wonder how many other, non taxable, factors also correlate?

growth of environmental-cultists, perhaps we should tax them.

i'll make a note. thanks for the heads up

Who are you refering to here? Little Fish does a lot of good work and takes a lot of abuse for his stand on the debate. The more people thinking about this issue with an open mind the better the outcome will be.