Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Anybody Going Wassailing?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,844 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Here's one for your repertoire.....

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,832 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

Can't beat a bit of Wassail. Although it's a bit windy & wet for it currently. Anyway, always pleased to see the Old Ways perpetuated.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#3    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

Are you going, ealdwita? We don't have that tradition in these parts(Cornwall).

Edited by ouija ouija, 29 December 2012 - 09:29 PM.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#4    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,844 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 29 December 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

Are you going, ealdwita? We don't have that tradition in these parts(Cornwall).

Yes, me and my happy little mob of Anglo-Saxon hooligans will be out on the streets. We're a bit traditional, so we'll be wassailing on 'Old Twelvey Night' 17th.Jan (12th.night, pre-Gregorian  calendar).

In the cider-producing counties, (closer to you) they have 'Orchard wassailing'  on the same night.

Edited by ealdwita, 30 December 2012 - 12:29 PM.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!

#5    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,060 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for the education, ealdwita!

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#6    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,844 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

View Post747400, on 29 December 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

Anyway, always pleased to see the Old Ways perpetuated.

Me too. A few years ago (when I was a bit fitter), I was Squire of a local Morris side. I just help out now and play squeezebox for them. I'm also very involved in local folk music.

#7    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

I luuurve Morris dancing ........ very manly :yes:

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#8    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,844 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Finally found one of ours .....I'm the one in the long grey wig (don't ask), playing the concertina......Why are we not in 'whites'?- this was filmed in February, Morris sides shouldn't wear white until after May Day......

#9    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,832 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

It's all about fertility, you know.  :unsure2:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#10    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,844 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 01 January 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

It's all about fertility, you know.  :unsure2:

After FIVE daughters- NOW he tells me!!!!!

#11    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

View Postealdwita, on 01 January 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

I'm the one in the long grey wig (don't ask), playing the concertina......

It isn't really a wig, is it? you old hippy, you!

#12    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,844 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 01 January 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

It isn't really a wig, is it? you old hippy, you!

I doubt I've got the energy to grow hair that length these days! Suffice it to say that it had something to do with a bet.

#13    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,060 posts

Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

So, eald, do you ever dance or are you just a musician? And thank you for sharing this video!

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#14    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,844 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 02 January 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

So, eald, do you ever dance or are you just a musician? And thank you for sharing this video!

I used to dance, My Lady, but it's far too energetic a pastime for a man my age these days! I do my bit by helping  the dancers out with the compulsory ale-quaffing though!

Oi! Wot's all this JUST a musician business????  Posted Image

#15    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,060 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

LOL I meant nothing by it, for if we didn't have musicians, where would dancers be? I simply wondered if you (or others) change up and those who were providing the music in the video occasionally dance while others play. :P And I seem to recall a few white haired gents hopping about on that video, so don't pull the age card on me, old man! :P :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users