Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

3D printed meat could soon be cheap and tasty

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#16    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,713 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

If they can make it as "organic" as the real thing in terms of cellular structure with no random, or harmful variants of anything thrown in as fillers, I'd give it a shot. It would have to be 100% the same as the real deal in terms of composition, etc. though.

#17    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,048 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 13 February 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

If they can make it as "organic" as the real thing in terms of cellular structure with no random, or harmful variants of anything thrown in as fillers, I'd give it a shot. It would have to be 100% the same as the real deal in terms of composition, etc. though.

The printer actually looks like a cow and it stands in the corner, farting.  (Well, so I heard... somewhere)

#18    zenfahr

zenfahr

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts
  • Location:Center of my universe.... which is located in a bunker in New Mexico.

• "The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn from the Crow"
    -Nobody

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Posted Image

welcome to the age of food replicators!!!  Now make me some earl grey!!

Edited by zenfahr, 13 February 2013 - 04:01 PM.

.....Im NOT here.....

My Art Gallery

#19    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

I hope it succeeds.  It would reduce the huge methane production and the horrible land waste that modern beef production involves.

They better be careful what they name it though -- "pink slime" didn't go over so well.

#20    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Well this is just great,guess i will have to add some halloween fake blood to my rare steaks in the future! :angry:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#21    mfrmboy

mfrmboy

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

• Beam Moo Up!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Will be a great thing if they accomplish it ! Yes, I would eat it.

#22    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

To survive, a human needs about 10-12% percent of caloric intake to be protein. The real issue is what people want vs. what they really need. If we can learn to eat protein in forms other than animal flesh, it will mark evolutionary progress of us as humans. We will have recognized that we can further minimize our biological footprint and we will have recognized that all creatures have a desire to live and avoid suffering.

Edited by highdesert50, 13 February 2013 - 05:35 PM.

#23    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

View Posthighdesert50, on 13 February 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

To survive, a human needs about 10-12% percent of caloric intake to be protein. The real issue is what people want vs. what they really need. If we can learn to eat protein in forms other than animal flesh, it will mark evolutionary progress of us as humans. We will have recognized that we can further minimize our biological footprint and we will have recognized that all creatures have a desire to live and avoid suffering.

The only problem i see with all this is with current medical technology more humans are being born and living longer will be closing in on estimated 8 billion sometime soon.I love animals,i would rather hang out with my dogs than i would most humans.If everything lives and we keep extending life expectancy for everything and everyone how will we change our everyday lives?We humans already keep moving into and taking over their natural enviroment,in turn they come back and we consider them dangerous and a nuisance.We have a lot of things to start figuring out before we start evolving.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#24    Mikami

Mikami

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 77 posts

• DELETE, DELETE, DELETE!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

I have to agree with Wolverine in the fact that i'd want it to be 100% steak and not filled with so many harmful cancer inducing chemicals that cause our bodies to decompose slightly slower than normal.

#25    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 13 February 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

I think we all already know the answer to this.

#26    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,622 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Something to note... Andras Forgacs also co-founded Organovo, a medical based bioprinting business, prior to Modern Meadow, the meat printing company. Right now Modern Meadow is working more on releasing a bioprinted leather first, hopefully to be released 201-2018. Meat would likely come sometime after that.

#27    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,156 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 13 February 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

Well this is just great,guess i will have to add some halloween fake blood to my rare steaks in the future! :angry:

Something I learned the other month: There is almost zero blood in raw steak. I had no idea!

What looks like blood actually isn't.

See here: http://www.askmehelp...lood-92223.html

or here ; http://www.todayifou...t-is-not-blood/

or here ; http://ca.answers.ya...31185907AAQosWA

#28    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

View Postpallidin, on 13 February 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

Something I learned the other month: There is almost zero blood in raw steak. I had no idea!

What looks like blood actually isn't.

See here: http://www.askmehelp...lood-92223.html

or here ; http://www.todayifou...t-is-not-blood/

or here ; http://ca.answers.ya...31185907AAQosWA

Interesting i mainly eat mine rare not really for the blood or water whichever,i mainly have mine rare to not denature the protein with excessive heat.

#29    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,531 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostEldorado, on 13 February 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

The printer actually looks like a cow and it stands in the corner, farting.  (Well, so I heard... somewhere)
Is that the printer which makes  a mooing sound?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#30    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,531 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

I this 3D meat is suppose to taste exactly like the real thing (when its made) then how will we really know it is`nt?  veggies (especially) will want absolute proof and not just what it says on the packet!......cos we know what packet descriptions mean today!

Edited by freetoroam, 13 February 2013 - 07:12 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users