Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Scientists find oxygen in space

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    E.B.E.

E.B.E.

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 160 posts

• Look beyond the clouds.
    Look beyond the sky.
    Look beyond space.

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:30 PM

An international team of researchers has discovered molecular oxygen in space, which appears to be surprisingly rare in the universe.
The oxygen molecule was found in a gas cloud called rho Oph A in the Ophiuchus constellation, about 500 light years from Earth.
The element's abundance is 1,000 times lower than can be explained by today's chemical models, according to the research team, which includes Canadian astronomers and scientists from Sweden, France and Finland.
Molecules are structures composed of atoms.
Two atoms of the element oxygen form an oxygen molecule.
A light year is the distance light travels in a year, or about 9.461 trillion kilometres.
Their discovery and findings made with the Swedish Odin space observatory satellite developed collaboratively by the countries and launched in 2001 to find the oxygen are reported in the scientific journal Astronomy and Astrophysics.

Full Story

#2    War-Junkie

War-Junkie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:48 PM

thats where i put it

#3    dabas_10

dabas_10

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

• Nevermind

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

whoa , i didn't knew that thumbsup.gif

#4    JoshB

JoshB

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

• ''They say what goes up must come down, I haven't reached my cruising altitude.''

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:54 AM

whoa , i didn't knew that thumbsup.gif

Know*  laugh.gif

#5    aussiemermaid

aussiemermaid

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:07 AM

Yeah i heard about that a littel while ago- the difference is that we humans and other living animals etc required O2- 2 atoms of Oxygen to breath, where as in space they are a single atom so just O, which we cant breathe in as a source of oxygen...

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,486 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:30 AM

Yeah i heard about that a littel while ago- the difference is that we humans and other living animals etc required O2- 2 atoms of Oxygen to breath, where as in space they are a single atom so just O, which we cant breathe in as a source of oxygen...

It's not so much that we can't breath atomic oxygen (O) but that it is so reactive it simply does not remain in existence for long, if there are other atoms and molecules for it to react with (hence the reason why you find diatomic oxygen {O2} in the atmosphere and even triatomic {ozone, O3}. Only in space where there is sufficient distance between atoms and molecules will you find atomic oxygen surviving.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users