Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] GM cows make 'low allergy' milk

Still Waters

A genetically modified cow that produces milk less likely to cause allergic reactions has been engineered by New Zealand scientists.

Up to 3% of infants are allergic to cows' milk in their first year of life.

The modified cow produced milk without beta-lactoglobulin - a whey protein to which some people are allergic.

The study has been labelled a "milestone" by one scientist, but some campaign groups say it raises ethical concerns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-19785006

I don't really trust this genetic modification business. I haven't done much research or reading on the subject, so my reasons are currently based on personal opinion.

• Like 1

My son was allergic to cow's milk for almost his entire first year. If this GM milk was available then, I wouldn't have given it to him.

I don't think this is really a good use of current technology. A better use would be designing vegetables that can grow in poor soil with less rainfall.

when you really think about it, an infant should be drinking human milk, it's no wonder there are allergies to the milk of another species...

I don't see what the purpose is of doing this. We have other versions of milk that are adequate replacements for typical cow's milk.

Yeah, it's big news here in NZ.... I don't like it.

I'm not all against genetic engineering though.. It should be allowed to improve life for lifes sake... Not for human profit..

Yeah, it's big news here in NZ.... I don't like it.

I'm not all against genetic engineering though.. It should be allowed to improve life for lifes sake... Not for human profit..

ya but this one isnt as bad as alot of the others it does have a positive affect for humans (which doesnt make it right) its just to me seems like these sort of things are like stepping stones until the day we start "fixing" everything.

I have no problem with Genetic engineering so long as it is conducted with natures best interest at heart and not used to change animals or vegetables into nothing more than copyrighted comodities. Stepping stones are fine imo, but changing the milk quality of cows so it best fit human consumption is an ingnorant thing to do. If they enginered the cows to have better richer milk for it's calf, then yes, I'd be smiling..