Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Spain approves gay marriage bill

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 05 October 2004 - 10:17 PM

Don't hold your breath Talon.
This country was founded by Christians and continues to be the strongest nation on Earth because of the Christian citizens and their Christian values.

Oh I don't think it will happen anytime soon,  sad.gif it took Europe hundreds of years to become Secular, and the US is still a very young country so it'll take a while to catch up.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#17    twpdyp

twpdyp

GOP for Life

• 2,448 posts

• The first step in any self improvement program is to admit there is room for improvement.

Posted 05 October 2004 - 10:20 PM

I would not see this as catching up, I would see it as going in reverse!!!

As we go through this life reaching, striving, and straining for life's brass ring, has any of us ever stopped to wonder just who is running the Merry-Go-Round?
You must play the hand that life deals you, if you dealt the hand to yourself you must play that hand silently .

#18    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 10:22 PM

i see, okay then

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#19    Lottie

Lottie

The Nappy Ninja !!

• 7,516 posts

• "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Noel Coward

Posted 05 October 2004 - 11:05 PM

yeah yeah whatever!

#20    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 05 October 2004 - 11:12 PM

Yes, Lets go back to the days when gays were in the closet when they weren't busy being beaten; Women were pregnant and in the kitchen, and civil rights were just about non-existant...

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#21    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 05 October 2004 - 11:22 PM

I see a trend.

You can pretty much tell who supports Bush and who doesn't just from threads like these.

People who value human rights trend to stray away from Bush, whereas people who feel that individuals should have no rights whatsoever tend to be Bush supporters.

#22    666DISTURBED666

666DISTURBED666

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 09:32 AM

Good on em!   cool.gif

#23    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:39 PM

Canada court mulls gay marriage

Canada's Supreme Court is set to start a hearing on whether gay marriage must be extended across the country.
The three-day session will examine whether draft legislation allowing same-sex unions is constitutional.

Gay marriages are legal in five provinces and one territory, but they are not recognised in Canada's other five provinces and two territories.

Observers say few advocates on either side expect the court to rule against the Liberal government's plan.

"We are very confident that the Supreme Court will confirm what many judges have said across the country," Laurie Arron of the gay advocacy group, Egale Canada, told the Associated Press.

The court - the country's highest - is not expected to give its ruling until next year.

Church rights

Gay groups say a favourable ruling would be an important step towards ending the stigma of homosexuality.

Opponents of the draft law argue that it infringes on the right of churches to refuse to perform same-sex marriages.

"When we redefine marriage, we are telling Canadian society and we are telling our young people that gender doesn't matter," Derek Rogusky of Focus on the Family Canada added.

"Study after study shows that gender does matter."

Canada would join the Netherlands and Belgium in legalising same-sex marriages.

Last month, a court in the Canadian province of Ontario approved what is thought to be the world's first gay divorce.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...cas/3720898.stm

#24    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,859 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:43 PM

That's not altogether true Burnside. I think the government should have less control...as for the election I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. blink.gif

I would love it to be nice and clear cut but it's just not.

#25    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:45 PM

If you feel the government should have less control, why would you vote for Bush, since he wants to take the rights away from people have have total control!

As for Talons post, go canada!

#26    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:57 PM

Government's should have more contol, hence why we should have more nationalisation. I mean look at Public Transport, it worked while the government ran it

#27    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,859 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:58 PM

That's a whole different debate on who will take away more of our freedoms. cool.gif

#28    Velikovsky

Velikovsky

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

• It's mind over matter,
    I don't mind because
    You don't matter

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:59 PM

I don't think it'll take America as long to legalize gay marriage as some people think. Really it just depends on who's President and who controls the Senate. My best guess would be about 5 to 10 years.

Posted Image
Columnist for Unexplained Mysteries.

#29    Disinterested

Disinterested

Government Agent

• 3,740 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(Talon S. @ Oct 6 2004, 07:39 PM)
Canada's Supreme Court is set to start a hearing on whether gay marriage must be extended across the country.

View Post

w00t.gif

GO CANADA!!!!  thumbsup.gif

#30    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 07:27 PM

Agreed Michelle and Velik.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users