Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama about to end recreational fishing

Harte

President Obama has ended public input on a plan to regulate - even end - recreational as well as commercial angling on/off the coast AND in freshwaters in the U.S.

Some of the potential policy implications of this interim framework have the potential to be a real threat to recreational anglers who not only contribute billions of dollars to the economy and millions of dollars in tax revenues to support fisheries conservation, but who are also the backbone of the American fish and wildlife conservation ethic," said CSF President Jeff Crane.

Morlock, a member of the CSF board, added, "There are over one million jobs in America supported coast to coast by recreational fishing. The task force has not included any accountability requirements in their reports for evaluating or mitigating how the new policies they are drafting will impact the fishing industry or related economies.

"Given that the scope of this process appears to include a new set of policies for all coastal and inland waters of the United States, the omission of economic considerations is inexcusable."

This is not the only access issue threatening the public's right to fish, but it definitely is the most serious, according to Chris Horton, national conservation director for BASS.

"With what's being created, the same principles could apply inland as apply to the oceans," he said. "Under the guise of 'marine spatial planning' entire watersheds could be shut down, even 2,000 miles up a river drainage from the ocean.

Source

The man seems determined to engineer an abrupt end to his political career.

Harte

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Neognosis

• Harte

• gabe

• preacherman76

Top Posters In This Topic

The man seems determined to engineer an abrupt end to his political career.

Well it's easy to do when you have manure for brains.

If you catch a fish down by the ocean, and Obama doesn't see it... Did you really catch it?

we have some restrictive laws here to in regards to fishing and hunting, but nobody patrols our woodlands or national parks to make sure everyone follows the rules. I basically fish wherever I want.

I don't understand why they put restrictions on recreational fishing, industry fishing seems like it would pose a much larger threat than people who do it for sport.

Edited by gabe

Lame excuse to take out on rec-fishing. He's fully fledged Christian right? Jesus was a rec-fisherman.

Maybe the Mrs banned him from weekend fishing with the boyz, now he's p***ed and taking it out on everyone else.

Now its official. I litteraly hate this man now. Trout fishing is still 3 weeks away, and Im already fine tuning my gear, and looking forward to taking the family out on camping/fishing trips. Im just sick right now.

Let it be known, I dont give a crap what laws they put out. You can have my fishing pole when you pry it from my dead, cold, fingers.

I'd like to see him try and stop me from going fishing. Those hooks are sharp for more than one reason...

It sounds like such an idiotic idea it's hard to believe it's true. I could imagine limiting fishing in specific areas for specific periods of time. Fishing a species to extinction is in no one's best interests.

Most of the serious fishing buffs that I know catch and release, so it doesn't affect the fish population at all.

We have a long standing problem in the Chesapeake Bay with crabs & oysters being over harvested. It's difficult to know what to do since there are entire subcultures in this area in which people have fished, crabbed or whatever for hundreds of years.

As is so often the case, the real problem is that there are too many humans. The ecosystem is out of balance. Not an easy problem to solve.

Now its official. I litteraly hate this man now. Trout fishing is still 3 weeks away, and Im already fine tuning my gear, and looking forward to taking the family out on camping/fishing trips. Im just sick right now.

Let it be known, I dont give a crap what laws they put out. You can have my fishing pole when you pry it from my dead, cold, fingers.

It's hard to believe that family fishing holidays are the problem here, isn't it? I fish. My friends fish.

Not sure it would do much... my ex-husband was a DIE HARD rec fisherman... the problem wasn't other rec fishermen, or even the commercial fisheries... the problem we have up here is with the Indian fisheries which aren't regulated by the federal government. Man, he never shut up about the havoc they were wreaking to the environment and decimating at least the salmon and shrimp populations. Oh ya, apparently from what I hear, it's BAD.

Honestly, he and his rec fishing buddies would go out and cut the lines and traps of indian fishers when they thought that they could get away with it.

So... it's okay for us to eat fish but it's not okay to catch them. Sounds like the fishing "industry" trying to monopolize the sport. What difference does it make if the fish you have for dinner was caught by you instead of a commercial boat?

Relax people, I'm sure it is an oversight in the language of the bill that is meant to regulate offshore professional fishing. But feel free to be as upset as you want over meaningless crap.

Let's check back on this thread when fishing season opens and you all can go fishing legally. then you can feel silly.

Relax people, I'm sure it is an oversight in the language of the bill that is meant to regulate offshore professional fishing. But feel free to be as upset as you want over meaningless crap.

Let's check back on this thread when fishing season opens and you all can go fishing legally. then you can feel silly.

Guess you didnt bother to read the story

I usually don't put any faith in stories where it's pretty clear that the media is trying to get a rise out of people by exaggeration or false emphasis.

Its simply Obama catering to the wacko evironmentalist who priorities worms and tiny bugs over the American people.

first of all, that's an OPINION piece.

the first thing that should clue in to this article being mostly b******t are the uses of such qualifying words and phrases such as:

supposedly

suspect

could

followed up with an unrelated story designed to make you have an illogical comparison to something that didnt' even happen in the united states...

"it appears.... may issue.......whatever that may be..."

Come on people. Don't be stupid. Didn't any of you take any classes on journalism and bias in college?

"some have the potential..."

come on people. Just admit that you have abandoned the critical process because you want to be upset about this.

I'll gladly return here next fishing season when you are all fishing this year the same as you did last year.

Edited by ~Onyx~
Inappropriate language.

Right.

Y'all don't worry about anything, Obama will fix everything.

Harte

Right.

Harte

Well, I don't see how this is going to help the economy... think of all those jobs that he'll cause to be lost if he does away with recreational fishing. Boat manufacturers, rods, reels, lures...

Oh, the lunacy of it all... :blink:

Right.

Harte

I only worry about real things, not a manufactured and misleading story designed to get morons up in arms over nothing... hey, look at that...

Edited by Neognosis

Okay, I was gonna go on a rant about fishing being a great father-son bonding thing, but then I realized I should do some research. So, I read the actual document the article talks about (yeah, all 70 pages or so), and nowhere does it say anything about stopping fishing at all! All it DOES say, is that they wish for regulations on stopping illegal dumping, by-catching (when sea turtles and sharks get caught in fishnets), and other harmful activities, in order to keep our wetlands and other water sources "drinkable and fishable" - it actually mentions recreational fishing, as well as most fisheries, as GOOD things.

I saw nothing in there about banning any fishing whatsoever. Lots of stuff about global warming, but I'm not going there...seems people are just determined to find something to rage about. I don't agree with most of the stuff Obama does, but this time, the hype is over nothing.

Edit: Darn, you all beat me to it while I was busy reading the stupid thing. Bleh!

Edited by SCARLET1

Here, read this, gullible reactionaries:

http://www.examiner.com/x-37128-Charlotte-Fishing-Examiner~y2010m3d9-ESPN-claims-Obama-is-about-to-ban-fishing

Thank you Scarlet1, for not being a gullible reactionary and for doing some of your own research.

the rest of you should not be allowed to vote.

Edited by Neognosis

Lame excuse to take out on rec-fishing. He's fully fledged Christian right? Jesus was a rec-fisherman.

Maybe the Mrs banned him from weekend fishing with the boyz, now he's p***ed and taking it out on everyone else.

christ may have been a rec-fisherman. but his apostles where all commercial fisherman except one and he was a tax collecter.

Thank you Scarlet1, for not being a gullible reactionary and for doing some of your own research.

LOL no probs. I've learned my lesson. ^_^

Edited by SCARLET1

You bet thanks SCARLET1 ... I would have been reading for awhile.

Banning fishing??? Seemed a little over the edge to me and though I disagree with a lot of what Obama does, I know that he is not a stupid man.

To do this ... would have defined stupid!!! ^_^

Do you need any more proof of the damage that malicious journalism can do to this country? On either side. people who intentionally write half truths are the real enemies of this country. Because they care more about their personal ideologies than they do about truth, honest journalism, and about the country itself. They intentionally seek to misinform and influence people with lies and half-truths. And that is extremely irresponsible and very dangerous to this country, which is full of stupid people who don't think for themselves and then go and vote based on misinformation.

Okay, I was gonna go on a rant about fishing being a great father-son bonding thing, but then I realized I should do some research. So, I read the actual document the article talks about (yeah, all 70 pages or so), and nowhere does it say anything about stopping fishing at all! All it DOES say, is that they wish for regulations on stopping illegal dumping, by-catching (when sea turtles and sharks get caught in fishnets), and other harmful activities, in order to keep our wetlands and other water sources "drinkable and fishable" - it actually mentions recreational fishing, as well as most fisheries, as GOOD things.

I saw nothing in there about banning any fishing whatsoever. Lots of stuff about global warming, but I'm not going there...seems people are just determined to find something to rage about. I don't agree with most of the stuff Obama does, but this time, the hype is over nothing.

Edit: Darn, you all beat me to it while I was busy reading the stupid thing. Bleh!

Good job... Reminds me of the 2nd amendment threads where people think Obama is going to go house to house and steal all the guns.