Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should/do christians join in with Halloween?

Bling

The shops are filling up with Halloween accessories and it'll soon be here....

As christians do you celebrate Halloween or is it considered a festival that goes against your faith? Is Halloween a festival of evil in the eyes of christians? - it was to me when I was a christian as I felt it was linked to the occult and paganism and I avoided it altogether. I don't now.

Here are some articles I found:

http://carm.org/halloween

http://www.christian.../halloween.html

http://www.gty.org/R...s/Articles/1126

JackoLanternSmiley.gif

• Like 1

The Christians I know celebrate it like everyone else, they just see it as another fun holiday, go out, get some free candy, dress up like weirdos and enjoy some horror movies. They know it's history and shizz, but they feel holiday we celebrate nowadays is more for fun then anything occult or paganistic.

• Like 5

The shops are filling up with Halloween accessories and it'll soon be here....

As christians do you celebrate Halloween or is it considered a festival that goes against your faith? Is Halloween a festival of evil in the eyes of christians? - it was to me when I was a christian as I felt it was linked to the occult and paganism and I avoided it altogether. I don't now.

Here are some articles I found:

http://carm.org/halloween

http://www.christian.../halloween.html

http://www.gty.org/R...s/Articles/1126

JackoLanternSmiley.gif

Hi Bling,

I'm Roman Catholic and I don't see a problem with it. Our Parish even has a Halloween party! The word Halloween is actually a contraction for All Hallows Eve, which, before the reform of the liturgical calendar, was the vigil of All Saints and All Souls Days.

• Like 3

Its a fun night for kids,getting dressed up as mini witches, or goblins ,and as long as an adult accompanies them I dont see any harm,I always contribute a few pennies,with the adult at the end of the path to look after them and also keep the shrieks down.

• Like 2

It is a way of facing our fears I think and I enjoy it. Some Christians don't however, think it is all demonic.

peace

mark

Off topic, but I know Muslims don't. In fact, Muslims don't celebrate any festival that's outside the teachings of the religion.

As with all 'holidays', Halloween has just become commercial nonsense ....... a reason to make money and spend money. Nothing thoughtful about it.

• Like 3

I don't like it because it seems so terribly American, no offence, it's not something that has any cultural foundation in Australian society. 364 days of the year we go on and on about "stranger danger" and then on Halloween we should blythly send our children off to take food from strangers?

Any "trick or treaters" that front up on the doorstep of chez WoH get an apple nd a lecture about the history of Halloween, maybe we an added verse on stranger danger if I don't know why the kids are.

• Like 2

Normally where I come from, Christians love to go trick or treating. .. The older ones will run parties. In saying that, you will find the odd stick in the mud, like the minister of the church my daughter goes to. He dislikes Halloween, and because the church usually held a Halloween fancy dress party for the kids at the church each year, when he joined the parish, he banned it, claiming that it was wicked and should not be allowed...He claims it was a sin against god.. This didn't go down too well with the kids and many of the parents, so he compromised, he allowed them to have a fancy dress as long as no kids wore witch, devil or monster costumes that are 'scary;'...Becky said it's not as fun as it once was...they cannot carve their pumpkins either, so she no longer goes to their church fancy dress ..Becky loves to dress up as ghost and ghost princess..This year however she is harping on about dressing up as a Ghostbuster..!!

I think Halloween is about the kids getting excited, dressing up and going off to get candy and treats...My daughter plans it weeks in advance, as much as she would with Christmas.. I guess kids love to dress up and have fun. My husband loves to go out with Becky and her friends to make sure they are safe while out at night, ( and the fact that he is still a big kids at heart ) a good few parents will do the same.....I have no problem with that, and I know many Christians love it too ...

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

There are some US Christian cults that have a fit about it. But most mainstream Christians don't consider it a religious issue. As do I. It's a great holiday.

I think the christian faith seems to have lightened up about it, but it did used to be frowned upon because of the perceived connection with the dark side.....

• Like 1

When people are having fun, there's always some who suspects sin must be involved.

• Like 5

Off topic, but I know Muslims don't. In fact, Muslims don't celebrate any festival that's outside the teachings of the religion.

Miserable shower,but when they live in the U.K. they still have all the holidays off work,like Xmas, Easter etc.

And after Halloween its Bonfire night (ref Guy Fawkes, who was a complete failure).He obviously wasn't S.A.S. trained.

It's just another "Hallmark" holiday here. It would have faded out many years ago but for the commercial aspect of it. Every retail outlet pushing candy and costumes. Participation has definately declined over the last couple of decades. Every year there are fewer and fewer kids at the door.

There are enough loonies drawn out by it. In my city and in many others, animal shelters, pet stores, adoption centres refuse to sell or give away black cats, ducks, or rabbits in the days prior to it.

I think for the most part it has lost any spiritual meaning for most people.

Personally, I have nothing to do with it.

I think the christian faith seems to have lightened up about it, but it did used to be frowned upon because of the perceived connection with the dark side.....

But I think it was also annoyance at yet another special, spiritual occasion being hi-jacked and trivialised. Originally it was a night when people gathered together and remembered the deceased.

Edited by ouija ouija

But I think it was also annoyance at yet another special, spiritual occasion being hi-jacked and trivialised. Originally it was a night when people gathered together and remembered the deceased.

It was originally pagan though.

some christians observe hallowe'en as a harmless bit of fun and some take it literally as an evil thing.

yawn

maybe it's origins are something darker, but that isn't even relevant in today's society. now it's just a bunch of kids having fun getting free candy.

I wasn't allowed to celebrate it when I was involved in religion and as I grew up with a christian family.....but now I love it and we're having a party and going on a ghost walk.....maybe we should use the ouija board then too. :devil:

I wasn't allowed to celebrate it when I was involved in religion and as I grew up with a christian family.....but now I love it and we're having a party and going on a ghost walk.....maybe we should use the ouija board then too. :devil:

My ears were burning ........ what are you planning to use me for exactly?

• Like 1

Here's a fun (and slightly educational) thing that happens here on Halloween. Pioneer cemeteries give tours of grave sites and have actors portray the dead person in the ground below. The actor tells us the real story of their horrific death -- gun shots, ax murder, boiler explosion, horse trampling and so on. Each grave is only lit by two candles for maximum spook effect and the most of the actors do a great job speaking in the mannerisms of over a century ago. Occasionally the actor will get just enough light to reveal that they're wearing deathly make up too.

• Like 1

Here's a fun (and slightly educational) thing that happens here on Halloween. Pioneer cemeteries give tours of grave sites and have actors portray the dead person in the ground below. The actor tells us the real story of their horrific death -- gun shots, ax murder, boiler explosion, horse trampling and so on. Each grave is only lit by two candles for maximum spook effect and the most of the actors do a great job speaking in the mannerisms of over a century ago. Occasionally the actor will get just enough light to reveal that they're wearing deathly make up too.

I'd go just for the fun of it!

It is a Pagan holiday, so that is all up to y'all, but all store clerks should have to say blessed Samhain when I go into the store. :santa:

• Like 1