Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Oklahoma Cryptids

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16    lkayn

lkayn

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:45 PM

The "wolf/deer" was only mentioned in two sightings (in the book at least), and was not related to the Howler. I think it was brown or reddish in color. It's probably not a real cryptid for being very obscure and poorly documented, but it is interesting. I don't think the Ozark Howler is a cryptid either, from what I've read up on it I think it's probably a local folkloric creature based on the cougar.

cat.gif

Yes. People have been saying that. Though, sightings do occasionally pop up. I've seen it a few times myself. Though, the Howler, doesn't look anything like a cougar. More like a Bobcat or Lynx, which, I think you might find, if I remember correctly, don't live anywhere near this area. Rather, they live up farther north. Cougar, do, however, live in this area.

#17    Panthera leo atrox

Panthera leo atrox

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

• I am master of all things feline.

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:28 AM

Yes. People have been saying that. Though, sightings do occasionally pop up. I've seen it a few times myself. Though, the Howler, doesn't look anything like a cougar. More like a Bobcat or Lynx, which, I think you might find, if I remember correctly, don't live anywhere near this area. Rather, they live up farther north. Cougar, do, however, live in this area.

I think that the bobcat's range includes much of the Ozark region. A large bobcat, melanistic (black) or seen briefly in low light conditions could be misinterpreted as a very large black panther like animal.
Also, as far as cougars are concerned, I think it is very common for legends or mythology to be drawn from what people are most familiar with. Many folkloric creatures are a construction of features of local wildlife and things added to make them scarier or more interesting. In the Howler's case, this may be a combination of traits from the cougar (large cat, terrifying scream very unique and characteristic of the species) and things that got added on over time (glowing red eyes not found in any cat species, scary black color and horns, ect.).

cat.gif

At night all cats are grey.
I dwell not in the city to become a worthless idler,
I plunge me in the forest to be eaten by the Mngwa!
Terrors of the night, I pray you send hither,
The great gray shape that makes men shiver.

I am a werewolf, and when I killed them, I had no control over my actions. - Cummings
I eat urban legends for lunch!

#18    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:56 AM

The Howler definately sounds like something out of folklore to me. Simply because there's no good reason for a creature like that to exist.

Nothing to see here.

#19    lateknite

lateknite

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:23 AM

Im from Idabel, and there are quite a few tails of bigfoot in this area.  A guy by the name of Skippy Smith was out hunting and happened upon one on two different occasions.  Also, my college professor was talking about a friend that works for the forestry department who spends his spare time tracking them.

In the Smithville area there was a couple who shot at one that came up on their porch and the FBI came out and took blood and hair samples.  Havent heard how the sample turned out.  The couple moved immediately after the incident.

There are also numerous hauntings in the area such as Wheelock Church that has reports of children haunting the place.

A hill going toward Dequeen, Arkansas is supposed to have some type of force that you can put your car in neutral and it will roll "UP" the hill.  Never tried it though.

#20    jedi_yarael_poof

jedi_yarael_poof

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:38 AM

A hill going toward Dequeen, Arkansas is supposed to have some type of force that you can put your car in neutral and it will roll "UP" the hill. Never tried it though.

I've heard of the same thing, but in Ochelata (sp?) once (not sure how credible the story is).  Supposedly some guys were strung up there and push your car up a hill. Hmph, I guess the story itn't true, unless some other ghosts think it's fun too.

#21    Tengu

Tengu

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

• ~Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector~

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:01 PM

Anybody ever hear of the "Deer Woman?"

Yes I've heard of that one too. Also supposedly a bad omen if you run into her in the backwoods of eastern Oklahoma.

Posted Image

#22    alistor131

alistor131

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:06 AM

View Postjedi_yarael_poof, on 06 June 2006 - 02:38 AM, said:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A hill going toward Dequeen, Arkansas is supposed to have some type of force that you can put your car in neutral and it will roll "UP" the hill. Never tried it though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've heard of the same thing, but in Ochelata (sp?) once (not sure how credible the story is).  Supposedly some guys were strung up there and push your car up a hill. Hmph, I guess the story itn't true, unless some other ghosts think it's fun too.

To be more accurate the road is between Bartlesville and Ochelata. it's known as Gap Road. The hill you're talking about is Gravity Hill. As local legend has it during the race riots of the mid 20's there where a group of men hung up along the Hill as a display. (extremely racist. But hey it's Oklahoma.)I've personally been up and down Gap road and all of it's hills in both daylight and Night. I've tested every method including peppering my cars trunk with flour to catch the  ghostly prints. Did I succeed? No. but I'm not saying that there isn't a possibility that the story isn't true. As for other strange things in north east Oklahoma. We have quite a few bigfoot sightings in the Osage National Park. There have been reports of Catman. A local Half man half cat. (unlikely. probably some hicks drunken drug induced hallucination.) There are a ton of ghost stories including a Ghost Train and a Female Ghost on Old Highway 66.
There is also a haunted Steel Mill said to be in Dewey. My friends and I have actually checked into that and we heard strange things like children playing. to be honest I never heard it my self but my friend is adamant about it. One personal experience I had one night as I was driving eastbound on Highway 60 connecting Bartlesville and Pawhuska. I saw an extremely large creature hunched over something in one of the Northern fields.It was covered in hair. Had long arms and muscular legs. It's head kinda looked like a Coyote. It looked like it was crouching in a three point stance. I slowed down to get a better look at it and it started running right at my car.I freaked out I floored the gas petal and drove away. I then looked in the rear view mirror and saw it leap across the highway and continue chase after my car. All I can say is I'll never drive down Highway 60 alone at night again.

#23    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

Interterrestrial Being

• 5,626 posts

• "Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday."

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:54 AM

I'm in northeastern Oklahoma, and there are actually Bigfoot hunters that eat at a restaurant in Green Country here early in the morning, then head out on their expedition, at least a couple times a year, supposedly the area between Claremore and Vinita have had such sightings (triangle UFOs too), including one that allegedly turned cars over in the parking lot of a bingo game in the 80's (my mom was a bingo caller), there are also supposedly bears, cougars, white wolves, panthers, mountain lions and a colony of monkeys living in a copse of trees somewhere around here, as well as your typical giant black dog that runs alongside your car on the open highway and jumps fences; there is the Winganon Swamp Monster, that supposedly breaks the tops of and tears fence posts out of the ground, and actual police officers reported what they call "orcs" in the Chelsea cemetery, about three feet tall, dark figures that move around among the tombstones - supposedly the police won't go into the place alone on foot without two or more people, or being in their car. Phantom hitchhiker, couple of spooklights and an attached bit of land of all albino animals, an invisible giant with thundering footsteps that knocks over saplings and small trees from its passing, at least two independent reports of bipedal werewolves, including a man that shot one with a rifle and drove it out of his barn, giant owls, apparently the Oklahoma Octopus, Lizardman (hangs out in a cemetery near Stillwater).

Now if you want my GRAMMA's stories of what she claims she's seen or encountered - well, there are aliens, little red men with pitchforks, a bipedal armadillo man that can change its size, flying opossums, shadow people, shadow spiders that creep up and down walls like shadows, but they're alive, super spiders that are immune to crushing and fire, invisible fleas, door-opening ghosts, phantom guests that somehow just come into your house and basically make themselves at home and visit and eat and relax, robotic dogs, a friend of mine who "can turn into other people", and best of all, a man that lives in a house, but that is not actually a normal man, but is made up of smaller men in the shape of a man, that kidnaps little girls.

| Ouija/Ideomotor | Sleep Paralys./Hypnogogia | Ouija: 252 hrs/4yrs

#24    Matt121

Matt121

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:43 AM

I've read a few things on the internet about the Oklahoma octopuss.

#25    Drago

Drago

Annoying Skeptic Dude

• 1,562 posts

• Bolted doors and windows barred,
    Guard dogs prowling in the yard,
    Won't protect you in your bed,
    Nothing will, from Pumpkinhead.

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:03 PM

View PostParanormalcy, on 28 November 2009 - 01:54 AM, said:

I'm in northeastern Oklahoma, and there are actually Bigfoot hunters that eat at a restaurant in Green Country here early in the morning, then head out on their expedition, at least a couple times a year, supposedly the area between Claremore and Vinita have had such sightings (triangle UFOs too), including one that allegedly turned cars over in the parking lot of a bingo game in the 80's (my mom was a bingo caller), there are also supposedly bears, cougars, white wolves, panthers, mountain lions and a colony of monkeys living in a copse of trees somewhere around here, as well as your typical giant black dog that runs alongside your car on the open highway and jumps fences; there is the Winganon Swamp Monster, that supposedly breaks the tops of and tears fence posts out of the ground, and actual police officers reported what they call "orcs" in the Chelsea cemetery, about three feet tall, dark figures that move around among the tombstones - supposedly the police won't go into the place alone on foot without two or more people, or being in their car. Phantom hitchhiker, couple of spooklights and an attached bit of land of all albino animals, an invisible giant with thundering footsteps that knocks over saplings and small trees from its passing, at least two independent reports of bipedal werewolves, including a man that shot one with a rifle and drove it out of his barn, giant owls, apparently the Oklahoma Octopus, Lizardman (hangs out in a cemetery near Stillwater).

Now if you want my GRAMMA's stories of what she claims she's seen or encountered - well, there are aliens, little red men with pitchforks, a bipedal armadillo man that can change its size, flying opossums, shadow people, shadow spiders that creep up and down walls like shadows, but they're alive, super spiders that are immune to crushing and fire, invisible fleas, door-opening ghosts, phantom guests that somehow just come into your house and basically make themselves at home and visit and eat and relax, robotic dogs, a friend of mine who "can turn into other people", and best of all, a man that lives in a house, but that is not actually a normal man, but is made up of smaller men in the shape of a man, that kidnaps little girls.

Sounds like a pretty good roundup of mountain stories, actually, though the armadillo man and the robotic dogs are new on me.

View PostMatt121, on 28 November 2009 - 06:43 AM, said:

I've read a few things on the internet about the Oklahoma octopuss.

Did you read that the lake it's reputed to inhabit is completely manmade, less than fifty years old, and that the lake has no real connections to other bodies of water to allow anything in?  'cus for some reason, man-eating octopus supporters always forget to put those in the story.  :P

Edited by Drago, 28 November 2009 - 02:06 PM.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.  Cthulhu fhtagn.  Cthulhu fhtagn!

Attention all '2012 is when the world will end' advocates: If, on January 1st 2013, the world has not ended, I will expect a written formal apology from each of you.  That is all.

#26    behaviour???

behaviour???

Saru's Slave

• 6,763 posts

• Its is when aspirations come in toe with destiny, are great men manifested

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:33 PM

View Postsnuffypuffer, on 28 May 2006 - 04:01 AM, said:

Anybody ever hear of the "Deer Woman?"
Female deer? :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#27    Cascade

Cascade

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:41 PM

View PostParanormalcy, on 28 November 2009 - 01:54 AM, said:

Winganon Swamp Monster, that supposedly breaks the tops of and tears fence posts out of the ground, and actual police officers reported what they call "orcs" in the Chelsea cemetery, about three feet tall, dark figures that move around among the tombstones - supposedly the police won't go into the place alone on foot without two or more people, or being in their car. Lizardman (hangs out in a cemetery near Stillwater).

Got any info in more detail? Google doesn't provide much.

Posted Image

#28    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

Interterrestrial Being

• 5,626 posts

• "Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday."

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:14 PM

View PostFenrir-sama, on 28 November 2009 - 11:41 PM, said:

Got any info in more detail? Google doesn't provide much.

I'm afraid not, this is all direct word-of-mouth, among townsfolk, family and friends, from lifelong residence and being in the right place at the right time, being in good with some local authorities, etc. Very specific and obscure local "atmosphere" for the area - those "my friend's sister said when she was little, she saw..." stories. I've talked to a couple of people who claimed to have seen a few things over the years, one who found fence posts freshly broken off, and knew a group of locals that for some reason the cops were cool with them hanging out and shooting the breeze, regarding the "orcs" - but what I've told you is pretty much all that's known, as far as I know.

| Ouija/Ideomotor | Sleep Paralys./Hypnogogia | Ouija: 252 hrs/4yrs

#29    Cascade

Cascade

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:19 PM

View PostParanormalcy, on 29 November 2009 - 02:14 PM, said:

I'm afraid not, this is all direct word-of-mouth, among townsfolk, family and friends, from lifelong residence and being in the right place at the right time, being in good with some local authorities, etc. Very specific and obscure local "atmosphere" for the area - those "my friend's sister said when she was little, she saw..." stories. I've talked to a couple of people who claimed to have seen a few things over the years, one who found fence posts freshly broken off, and knew a group of locals that for some reason the cops were cool with them hanging out and shooting the breeze, regarding the "orcs" - but what I've told you is pretty much all that's known, as far as I know.

Ah, that's a shame. I've been tracking reputable Lizardman/Frogman sightings for several months now; and a few in Oklahoma would be quite interesting to log and study. If you do happen to come across any good info, please do let me know.

Posted Image

#30    UltraThunderMan

UltraThunderMan

The Ultra One

• Banned
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:26 AM

I've heard of an Octopus-Like creature inhabiting the waters of Oklahoma that has cause many unexplained drownings.  That's about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users