Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Religion Of Peace?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#16    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,884 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

View Posttyrant lizard, on 22 May 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

Islam is a religion of peace - these morons who go around killing people and claiming they're doing it for Allah are ******* mental, pure and simple.

I don't think this should be pinned on religion, it should be pinned on idiocy and ignorance.

These statements are wearing a bit thin now. They get trotted out after every atrocity. How many incidents is going to take to convince some people?

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#17    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,939 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

View Postealdwita, on 22 May 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

These statements are wearing a bit thin now. They get trotted out after every atrocity. How many incidents is going to take to convince some people?
Some will NEVER admit being wrong - at least not until it is they or their family who is harmed.  And that statement isn't aimed at anyone in particular - rather at the lot who continue to justify this madness.  These two men waited..once wounded they should have been summarily executed by beheading.  Sound harsh?  Eyewitness and they came running with guns?  Butchering a human being like an animal is the quintessential hate crime.  It is a sign of utmost disrespect for the humanity of the victim.  Share and alike I say.  And before some saint here accosts me for my lack of Christian kindness and forbearance I say to them - I admit I'm still a man in need of a Savior!

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#18    through the fire

through the fire

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 201 posts

• "it's like boo!"

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

How peaceful should you be when other countries are invading and occupying Muslim nations and slaughtering your fellow Muslims?

#19    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,749 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

IIRC "Armed Police" are what Americans would call "SWAT" while the average copper on the beat does carry a sidearm.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#20    TSS

TSS

Observer

• 5,668 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 22 May 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

IIRC "Armed Police" are what Americans would call "SWAT" while the average copper on the beat does carry a sidearm.

I assume you mean the average American copper carries a sidearm, because ours do not.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#21    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

All I can say is I hope they were shot dead.

I don't wish death on people often but I can't think of anything else they deserve more.

Soldiers do not have political motives, they carry out orders.  No justification in killing one off duty who may never have served in any conflict.

Edited by skookum, 22 May 2013 - 07:48 PM.

Posted Image

#22    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

View Postealdwita, on 22 May 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

I wonder how long it will be before some 'useful idiot' claims the victim's "Help For Heroes" T-shirt logo was racist, inflammatory and offended minority groups?

View Postealdwita, on 22 May 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

Wearing thin among the intolerant perhaps.

==================================

On another note and just generally speaking, the more educated one is the less tribal one will be and "us vs them" mindsets will dissipate.

a clear relationship between educational level and tolerance for diversity has consistently been noted by previous researchers
[link]

There is a definite need for more education among both xenophobic nativists and religious extremists.

If some are going to be intolerant towards all of Islam, then it is a backward thought with no place in a postmodern world.

If some just want to be sensationalist or scaremongering, it might work on some, but definitely not all.

In either case, extremism as seen in this killing, and extremism displayed by Islamophobia are counterparts and have more to do with each other than with the rest of the sensible world who rightfully reject both.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 22 May 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#23    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,129 posts

• Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

View Postthrough the fire, on 22 May 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

How peaceful should you be when other countries are invading and occupying Muslim nations and slaughtering your fellow Muslims?

Well, that didn't take long did it?

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#24    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,004 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

If someone were attacking the home of my ancestors I would not hate or start killing the people who have nothing to do with it. That makes no sense at all. If a woman is abused my one man does it mean she should hate all men?

#25    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,879 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

Posted Image

we need an honest Abe around here right about now ....

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#26    through the fire

through the fire

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 201 posts

• "it's like boo!"

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

View Postskookum, on 22 May 2013 - 07:44 PM, said:

Soldiers do not have political motives, they carry out orders.

The same as gangland hitmen then, right?

#27    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,046 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

IMO... Religion itself is a "backward thought" with absolutely no "place in a Post - modern world". If Religion cannot Police and marginalise its own radical adherents then it has no place in any society. When radical Preachers go unpunished by its own, then that religion, in toto, should be proscribed for failing to meet its social responsibilities.

Extreme Religious memes should be treated in exactly the same way as Extreme Nationalist memes

#28    through the fire

through the fire

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 201 posts

• "it's like boo!"

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 22 May 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

On another note and just generally speaking, the more educated one is the less tribal one will be and "us vs them" mindsets will dissipate.

This is the truth.

#29    through the fire

through the fire

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 201 posts

• "it's like boo!"

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

View PostMichelle, on 22 May 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

That makes no sense at all. If a woman is abused my one man does it mean she should hate all men?

Well surely she would hate a man who was a member of the national coalition of armed women beaters.

#30    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,129 posts

• Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

So can we assume from this statement that you empathize with the guy that did this, or do you condemn it?

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users