Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Unexplained...

FarvLarion

Why is it that most people often fear the unknown, or will not even consider it to be sometimes the only relevant explaination.  In recent years I have been a witness to many unacountable and perhaps even plain old strange events and or situations, and have learned that following what others often believe to be true is most of the times never the correct way of going about finding the truth.  When I was younger I was a part of something that I still can't explain, but I want to know.  My question is just that, why are people so defiant to the mysteries in our world, and why are they so ready to destory anything that doesn't check in their standards way of living?  I ask you this.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SpaceyKC

• FarvLarion

• Magikman

• Saru

Top Posters In This Topic

Farv,

A fair question. Speaking from a perspective of having read and studied information on various paranormal subjects for more years than you've been alive, here's my opinion for what its worth;

Fear of the unknown or the unexplained is human nature. It has been ingrained in us since the dawn of man and has been used as a reliable tactic to keep groups of people in line and under control. Early man worshiped nature and the elements. Later civilizations deified animals and invented tales of horrible sea monsters, mermaids, the unicorn, fire breathing dragons, witches and the like.

The advent of scientific reasoning and the quest for knowledge slowly began to change man's perception of the unknown. No longer were the demons and monsters of the past a thing to be feared or believed. The acceptance of this information of course was only as successful as man's willingness to believe it. Which in and of itself wasn't a bad thing, because proffered explanations were not always correct either. The point is, man began to investigate and question those things he didn't understand. You could probably call it the dawn of enlightenment for mankind.

Science cannot explain everything. It would be arrogant to believe we have answers to every mysterious event. There are only theories and degrees of acceptability. Human beings are subject to many foibles and failings. Some people feel safer to ignore what they don't understand. Some see an opportunity to fleece a gullible and naive public for their own benefit. Others play on peoples fear to advance an agenda.

There are those who also inhabit the fringes of any society and are better left to their own devices and/or just ignored. It is up to each individual alone to study all available information and form an opinion. Again, it may not always be correct, therefore it would behoove you to keep an open mind. Just be sure you are aware of all the possibilities before making a decision. Having someone say something like 'unless it happens to you, you'll never believe its true' is not a credible argument. You weren't there, and therefore have no idea as to any of the variables present and the persons perception of them. Neither do you know anything about the person the event happened to, their state of mind or how they even perceive reality. There are too many unknown factors to make a rational decision, but it is asking too much to believe something happened to somebody on their word only. That is the underlying problem with a lot of paranormal events, the lack of reliable or collaborating witnesses. Common sense dictates that you err on the side of caution, and that is the approach many people will subscribe to. You only need read the news everyday to justify that way of thinking, i.e.; Heavens Gate, the Y2K non event, the apocalypse in the year 2000, 'intergalactic' contact, etc.

This post is becoming rather long, but there is only one other point I would like to make. Using my experience as an example (The 'to those who believe in spirits') thread, I would submit to you that I truly believe this happened to me. Do I ask you to believe it? No. Would I condemn you as an unreasonable skeptic and claim you were closed minded if you didn't? No, I may suggest to you that there is much about death that is still unknown to us that I would like to investigate further. I would also ask for your personal opinion as to what you think may have occurred and hope that it would be helpful to me. I mention this because I want you to feel comfortable about anything that may have occurred to you and not to be afraid to search for answers. We may be able to help you or not, you're not required to take our advise.

Last, but not least, welcome to the forum. I hope you find it helpful, or at least somewhat enlightening.

MAGIKMAN

I would like to thank you for your response, and yes it helped me.  I posted what drove me to get this far, and what will be driving me to get where I feel that I must go.  I would like to say at this time that even though all of the evidence before me either makes no sence at all, or is just to the contrary of what I am looking for, I still believe that I must continue my search for who I am, and what I know is out there.  Once again, your responce is like a refreshing breathe of air, and I feel that there are others that I can relate to once again.  Thank you.   :)

I think people who can't relate to something different from what happens in their 'normal' world, is fear of the unknown, and they can't handle it, so they act like YOU must be wrong, stupid, or crazy.  Of  course, it doesn't mean you ARE, that's just their way of dealing with it.

Just a thought. :-/

I have to disagree, Nora. The explanation is far too simplistic and all inclusive. Sure there are people who are closed minded when it comes to all things strange and unusual, but conversely, I would suggest that there are others who do believe who are just as unwilling to accept any rational explanations. Many are as fanatical as the non-believers in their position and justify their reasoning by fabricating convoluted stories of world wide conspiracies, alien intervention, and any number of other non-supportive excuses. Most people find little credence to these claims. It’s pretty difficult to prove something didn’t happen when there isn’t any evidence of anything having occurred in the first place. There is substance to some reports and occurrences, without a doubt. People tend to focus on the more incredulous reports and unfortunately lump all things paranormal into one group. It isn’t  fear that makes them respond the way they do, its their overall perception of the nature of the subject they’re relating to. The ranting and posturing of the lunatic fringe do not help matters any, and there is a surplus of self-serving con men and attention seekers who only muddy the waters further.

What disturbs me most is the perception of a lot of these so-called believers that mankind owes his existence to some kind of alien intervention or genetic manipulation. That our civilization has only been able to advance itself because of reverse engineering alien technology doesn’t speak well to the intelligence or inventiveness of mankind. You get the impression that we are little more than puppets on a string, incapable of anything but the simplest functions in life. I have much more faith in our capabilities. We will always attempt to find answers to that which we don’t understand and in doing so will occasionally stumble along the way. That is a quality that cannot be condemned, for inherent in us is our desire to control our own destiny.

This, of course, is just my opinion. Long winded one to be sure, what are your thoughts? ;D

Magikman

:DMagikman, That's what's cool about this board.  Everyone has an opinion.  About people thinking our advancement should be credited to alien intervention probably(like me)watched one too many episodes of Star Trek:The Next Generation(I believe their golden rule was not to interfere with the normal progress of the planet they 'visited'). They think we got aliens who felt sorry for our dumb a****, so they thought they'd help us out!! :D

I try to stay open-minded about it all, and I do love to hear the stories. Don't want to pay for admission, though!! ;)

It sometimes seems that these people that either believe and aren't willing to admit to thier own beliefs because they are afraid of being different, or they aren't sure if they believe or not.  People are often contrary to what they say, and in fact I belive myself that very often say something to one person only to say something else to another because of what the person thinks of either one of them.  Personal ideantification and relations can directly affect this, and possibily cause someone to believe somewhere and ultimately out of nowhere when in fact this person never believed before in their entire life.  But this is only speculation, and may not have anything to do with what really happens in the human mind, but I think that because people often rush to keep up with fads and other people that they may know, that beliefs are often fabrications of fads and or 'keeping up the the times'.  This can only be a question of statistics and personal opinion though.

When someone sees something unexplained, whether it be a ghost, a UFO or something else entirely, and are convinced that they did indeed see what they saw, then, regardless of their personal beliefs, they cannot deny that they did actually see it. They may not want to believe what they saw, and maybe that is why telling others about their experience is so difficult. Telling others about a UFO for example, would seem to the witness as though they were also expressing their belief in UFO's. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why reports of the unexplained are not as frequent as the actual sightings. Many people may hold back from reporting what they've seen, in fear that whoever they report it too, will think that that person believes in such phenomena, whether or not they actually do. Remember a lot of people who do see UFO's and Ghosts have had no prior interest in the subject, and may feel silly trying to convince someone else of their experience.

I just saw a program on tv, where a woman and her young daughter were at home(in Calif.)and suddenly appeared in a (college)dorm room(in Canada)in front of two young men, who were living there. Now that would be (to me)a hard one to explain away(as either the people appearing, or the ones who were the eye-witnesses!

~Nora