Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 8 votes

Next gross human evolution

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#16    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,125 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

An interesting article on having 6 fingers per hand:

What If Our Hands Had 6 Fingers?
By: Natalie Wolchover, Life's Little Mysteries Staff Writer

http://www.lifeslitt...ds-fingers.html

#17    MR.Blueprint

MR.Blueprint

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

• "Nothing Stays The Same" -Thomas Blueprint

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

View Postaquatus1, on 01 April 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

People survive just fine every day without a sixth finger.  Evolution doesn't select simply because something is moderately useful (pretending, for a moment, that polydactily actually results in useable digits).  There has to be a reproductive advantage.  There has to be a reason that more babies would be born from couples with the same genetic abnormality than otherwise.  Being that extra fingers wouldn't really confer any sort of particular advantage (in fact, they may well act as reproductive reducer), it is unlikely that extra fingers would ever become an established trait.

An extra thumb, on the other hand (hee hee), would be immensily useful, far more than any other finger (actually, only if it was an ulnar thumb, though, and fully functional).  That may have a chance, even though the social stigma would still be considerable.

View PostOniomancer, on 01 April 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

That's an episode of the original The Outer Limits, "The Sixth Finger" You can watch it free on Hulu. http://www.hulu.com/watch/63087
(Or read the synopsis on wiki)

No tetrapod life form with true limbs has more than 5 digits, except for a few extinct amphibians. It's been postulated that five is the maximum number one can have and still use them efficiently.

PS, Aquatus, where the hell have been? The place has been falling apart without you.

do any tetrapod life for have thumbs?
reaaly dont get how we can make a rule fo any unsolvable poble...

we are still in our early stage of being a species.
if we are still here 1 billion years from now we might evolve into new species.
we defaintly cant say what we want evolve because we dont know what changes may occu in the future
but the fact the mutation is happening now means that we will evolve an extra finger and that prolly why they cut it off at bisth so tha human can be "sexually attratcive" and repoduce

Mutation leads to adaption which is evolution

mutation is the first stage ofevolution

is mutation causing some humans to be born with extra fingers yes or no?

"Ignorance has no place in a debate" -Dr. Thomas Blueprint

#18    MR.Blueprint

MR.Blueprint

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 01 April 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Interesting theory... is there an article somewhere that you got this information from or is this just a random thought you had and wanted to share?

I'm asking because seems like your statement came out of left field.

I recall a biology lecture in college where it was the opinion of my instructor that species evolve to beCome more efficient, thus we would more likely lose appendages or organs or whatever that nature deems unnecessary.

The example given was the pinky finger, she stated that it is not as essential as the other fingers as it is weak and does not contribute to the grip and is usually significantly smaller.

I don't know if that is true but it makes sense under the theory that evolution tends to be for the efficiency of a species.

i was thinking bout it because a girl i know daughter was born with an extra finger.
and my siser and aunt had bone spurts in their hands

of course i intake cannabis aka bain cell keys that unlock my brain powers

and one day i was thinking our bodies are trying to grow an extra finger

than i thought why? and realize that we use the hell out our fingers

and than i seen a youtube video with this asain scientist who said he think we wont gross evolve any more
and i left a comment bout my extra finger theory and some one replied and said the name of the condition for an extra finger...i google it and learned that 1 in 500 african decendants are bon with this condition.

and that jus further poved my theory for me because 1 in 500 is a big number and
2. it makes totally sense africans would evolve fist because the have genetics and are the fist humans.

#19    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,381 posts

• Question everything

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 01 April 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Interesting theory... is there an article somewhere that you got this information from or is this just a random thought you had and wanted to share?

I'm asking because seems like your statement came out of left field.

I recall a biology lecture in college where it was the opinion of my instructor that species evolve to beCome more efficient, thus we would more likely lose appendages or organs or whatever that nature deems unnecessary.

The example given was the pinky finger, she stated that it is not as essential as the other fingers as it is weak and does not contribute to the grip and is usually significantly smaller.

I don't know if that is true but it makes sense under the theory that evolution tends to be for the efficiency of a species.

You could start here: http://blogs.discove...x/#.UVmf8Ve5ND4

That might be where I saw it, though it might have been older since it doesn't quite state it as I recalled it. I know it was in Discover. Just something I read and filed away. I've seen the bit about losing appendages but then how do the appendages get there in the first place?

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#20    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostMR.Blueprint, on 01 April 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

i was thinking bout it because a girl i know daughter was born with an extra finger.
and my siser and aunt had bone spurts in their hands

of course i intake cannabis aka bain cell keys that unlock my brain powers

and one day i was thinking our bodies are trying to grow an extra finger

than i thought why? and realize that we use the hell out our fingers

and than i seen a youtube video with this asain scientist who said he think we wont gross evolve any more
and i left a comment bout my extra finger theory and some one replied and said the name of the condition for an extra finger...i google it and learned that 1 in 500 african decendants are bon with this condition.

and that jus further poved my theory for me because 1 in 500 is a big number and
2. it makes totally sense africans would evolve fist because the have genetics and are the fist humans.

I'm sorry, what?

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#21    Einsteinium

Einsteinium

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

• "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    -Buddha

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

If evolving a 6th finger gave us a survival edge then yes, you would be correct. However, evolution does not favor mutations that are simply more convenient for us in the modern world. It would have to directly lead to those people with 6 fingers breeding with more females more frequently than everyone else. So until a 6th finger= requirement for sexiest man/woman alive this just aint happenin. The 6th finger mutation has been around for as long as mankind has been around most likely. If it gave us a distinct edge on survival, we would have already evolved to incorporate it into our physiology. Because nowadays a person who has 4 fingers has just as much of a chance to survive and pass on genes as a person with 6, or 5 fingers, survival is taken out of the equation. So that only leaves sex selection as a motivating factor. This is a huge part of evolution, you can see it in the antlers of deer and such. Things evolved simply to attract a mate, led to them mating more, but sometimes these things make it more difficult to survive (antlers can get caught up on trees, make deer more visible to wolves, etc.). So the 2 legs that drive evolution- sexiness, and survival. Really don't seem to be in play here, unless I am missing something!

#22    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,381 posts

• Question everything

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

View PostMR.Blueprint, on 01 April 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

do any tetrapod life for have thumbs?

Humans are tetrapods so yes.

reaaly dont get how we can make a rule fo any unsolvable poble...

We are still in our early stage of being a species.
if we are still here 1 billion years from now we might evolve into new species.
we defaintly cant say what we want evolve because we dont know what changes may occu in the future
but the fact the mutation is happening now means that we will evolve an extra finger and that prolly why they cut it off at bisth so tha human can be "sexually attratcive" and repoduce

Rules are made by observation. We're talking about millions of years of prior evolution and millions of observable examples which appear to conform to a given pattern.

Mutation leads to adaption which is evolution

mutation is the first stage of evolution

is mutation causing some humans to be born with extra fingers yes or no?

People have been born with extra digits for centuries. Probably millennia. Estimates put it at 1 in every 500 births.

http://en.wikipedia....ly#Epidemiology

If it conferred any sort of dramatic advantage, one would think it would've cropped up and spread sooner.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#23    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Happy

• 3,857 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

POPULAR

smoking weed and watching crappy youtube videos probably isn't how you should start coming up with theories... just me though.

"Good lord, what is happening in there?!" ................."Aurora Borealis?"

"A...Aurora Borealis?! At this time of year?!? At this time of day!?!  In this part of the country!? Localized entirely within your kitchen!?!"   ...."Yes!"

#24    minera

minera

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,: Than are dreamed of in your philosophy. Act II, scene 2:.. Hamlet

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 01 April 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

Try reading instead. How does an extra finger decide the difference between passing on the genetics or not?
There is no survival need for an extra finger. Hell people without fingers can survive.

You don't understand evolution then.
In order for the majority to possess this mutation, some kind of selection would need to take place.
Mutations are in our genes. Damage to a gene could and would cause mutations. It is not necessary to 'evolve' another finger. Since most of us won't be here in 500,000 years it is a pointless argument.

#25    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

What would be the purpose of a sixth finger?
I mean, you have the thumb, who's the workhorse,  and can also hitch you a ride.
You have the pointer finger, to send people away, and also handy for picking.
The middle finger, to express your anger.
The ring finger, or real estate finger, to display shmancy gifts of adoration.
And then the pinky who serves no actual purpose, but compliments the hand and evens everything out.
Why fix what isn't broken?

I think a third eye in the back of the head would be more useful.

(I did not intake of the cannibas while posting this)
((But maybe I should have))

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#26    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Happy

• 3,857 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

View PostOdd Requiem, on 01 April 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

What would be the purpose of a sixth finger?
I mean, you have the thumb, who's the workhorse,  and can also hitch you a ride.
You have the pointer finger, to send people away, and also handy for picking.
The middle finger, to express your anger.
The ring finger, or real estate finger, to display shmancy gifts of adoration.
And then the pinky who serves no actual purpose, but compliments the hand and evens everything out.
Why fix what isn't broken?

I think a third eye in the back of the head would be more useful.

(I did not intake of the cannibas while posting this)
((But maybe I should have))

lol

the pinky is useful for both pinky swears and raising it when you have a fancy drink.

"Good lord, what is happening in there?!" ................."Aurora Borealis?"

"A...Aurora Borealis?! At this time of year?!? At this time of day!?!  In this part of the country!? Localized entirely within your kitchen!?!"   ...."Yes!"

#27    MonkeyOrchid

MonkeyOrchid

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

• I see Candy's in my sleep !

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

Maybe an extra leg then so we could run faster ? I use my legs everday. :unsure2:

Edited by MonkeyOrchid, 01 April 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#28    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

I forgot about pinky swears and drinking pretty, frilly drinks!
Damn the man!
Lol

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#29    MR.Blueprint

MR.Blueprint

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostEinsteinium, on 01 April 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

If evolving a 6th finger gave us a survival edge then yes, you would be correct. However, evolution does not favor mutations that are simply more convenient for us in the modern world. It would have to directly lead to those people with 6 fingers breeding with more females more frequently than everyone else. So until a 6th finger= requirement for sexiest man/woman alive this just aint happenin. The 6th finger mutation has been around for as long as mankind has been around most likely. If it gave us a distinct edge on survival, we would have already evolved to incorporate it into our physiology. Because nowadays a person who has 4 fingers has just as much of a chance to survive and pass on genes as a person with 6, or 5 fingers, survival is taken out of the equation. So that only leaves sex selection as a motivating factor. This is a huge part of evolution, you can see it in the antlers of deer and such. Things evolved simply to attract a mate, led to them mating more, but sometimes these things make it more difficult to survive (antlers can get caught up on trees, make deer more visible to wolves, etc.). So the 2 legs that drive evolution- sexiness, and survival. Really don't seem to be in play here, unless I am missing something!

"evolution does not favor mutations that are simply more convenient for us in the modern world"

funny because i thought that what exactly what evolution does

#30    MR.Blueprint

MR.Blueprint

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostOniomancer, on 01 April 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Humans are tetrapods so yes.

Rules are made by observation. We're talking about millions of years of prior evolution and millions of observable examples which appear to conform to a given pattern.

People have been born with extra digits for centuries. Probably millennia. Estimates put it at 1 in every 500 births.

http://en.wikipedia....ly#Epidemiology

If it conferred any sort of dramatic advantage, one would think it would've cropped up and spread sooner.

"million of years of evolution"
homo sapian havnt been around "millions of years"

and how long ago did we evolve a thumb?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users