Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Rosalia Lambardo (Sleeping Beauty )

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Mr-X

Mr-X

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 03:20 AM

One of the most gruesome, gory tourist attractions in the world is the Capuchin's Catacombs in Palermo, Italy. There are about 8000 dead bodies lined up on the wall, sitting down, lying in coffins and on shelves. It all began in 1599 when local priests mummified a monk so they could pray to him after death. Locals wanted to remember their loved ones the same way, and soon there were hundreds of corpses.

One of the last corpses to make it to the catacomb before authorities stopped the practice was seven year-old  Rosalia Lombardo. She died in about 1920 and is nicknamed Sleeping Beauty because she looks like a large sleeping doll. Dr. Salofia was the only one who knew the method used to preserve Rosalia and he took his secret with him to the grave.

user posted image

Scientist now believe Dr . Salofia used arsenic to preserve her beauty.                                                

Oh, you should never doubt what no one is sure about.
- Willy Wonka

#2    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 08:04 AM

Wow. and to think he used arsenic for that . huh.gif                                                

#3    Mr-X

Mr-X

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 08:19 AM

Heres some information about why and how he did it.

http://users.skynet.be/ahcama-sotz/ACS/Pan...Catacombes.html

Everytime i see that little girls face i get  sad.gif                                                

Oh, you should never doubt what no one is sure about.
- Willy Wonka

#4    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 08:58 AM

it was held that the way in which he preserved the little girl, died with him.                                                

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#5    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 03:12 PM

i actually believe preserving a body is a good thing.  my wife and i talk about what we want done with our bodies after death and she is totally in favor of cremation, but i look at that little girl and it helps me sense the past- it sort of, gives me a greater understanding of the way people lived and that they were really just like me.  if i could do that for someone who saw my body, it would make me feel better about dying.  i think that we lose a bit of our history when people of a generation die and it can't be given back- like how people styled their hair, or the clothes they liked to wear.  somewhere, we need to keep that part of history and not just in books where it is so hard to grasp.  even television is too abstract to get an understanding of what a different time was really like to live in.  maybe there should be a great cultural museum where relics and people of the past are preserved?  that would really be interesting to see.                                                

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
set about on a collision course
not with Earth, but my face...
i wonder if id even know,
at what time i might,
be passed off like an old style
and by the meteor be smite?

- me, 1997

#6    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (DSchwartz @ Jan 24 2003, 10:12 AM)
for someone who saw my body, it would make me feel better about dying.

I know what you mean, Dschwartz. If I saw your body it would make me feel better about dying too. laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Just kidding Dschwartz. A little humor to liven things up biggrin.gif                                                

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#7    Kira

Kira

Government Agent

• 4,183 posts

• Sexiest,
    Prettiest,
    Bloodthirstiest,
    Elf Member of the
    Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps.

Thanks TO xx

Posted 24 January 2003 - 11:06 PM

rolleyes.gif @ Homer.... biggrin.gif

But yes she does look so peaceful                                                

We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.

#8    Amethyst

Amethyst

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 04:36 PM

"I've waited for the fog to clear
For I've walked through the shadows my friend
I have no more fear"

Kwan: Lightspeed

Feeling a little  sad.gif  here...                                                

Please, don't ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users