Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are Ghosts Real? Science Says No-o-o-o

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you believe ghosts are real? (78 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you believe ghosts are real?

1. Yes (53 votes [67.95%])

Percentage of vote: 67.95%

2. No (25 votes [32.05%])

Percentage of vote: 32.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

View PostGhostsstory, on 08 February 2013 - 06:05 AM, said:

the conclusive, indisputable-evidence on the paranormal theories we have now that leave many questions unanswered.

Or you just refuse to understand the already given answers.

#92    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• 1,815 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

View PostGhostsstory, on 08 February 2013 - 06:05 AM, said:

Absolutely. Science can only go as far as current technology allows. There was a time when Scientists believed the world was flat; With today's modern technology, we know just how ridiculous that sounds and we know that earth is indeed not flat.

No scientist ever believed or claimed the earth was flat. Ancient Greeks they even tried to measure earth roundness observing Lunar eclipses. But the flat earth hypothesis was especially beloved by theologists and some philosopher at certain point, then abandoned later, with exception of a small fanatic fringe. The same kind of people who are today in love with creationism.

Who knows what kind of technology we'll have 100, 200, 500 or even 5,000 years from now. The whole argument on the existence of ghosts and the afterlife will sound just as ridiculous as the flat earth theory sounds now.

True true....as science advances opens new possibilities and new technological artifacts are created. There are still alot to be learn in the world. And one day more rare and complex phenomena, may be explained.

Though I can not prove a single shred of my paranormal experiences, I know for certain that science will not be able to deny the existence of other worldly dimensions at some point in time. Some kind of technology will come along that'll contain the conclusive, indisputable-evidence on the paranormal theories we have now that leave many questions unanswered.

Like Dark matter or energy, they know there is something there, but for now they don't have a explanation for it just speculations based on the interaction with normal matter at cosmic scales. Is the paranormal the effect of normal matter reacting with dark energy/matter in micro scales? is it really ghosts and demons? or its all optical illusions, misunderstandings and frauds? for now nobody know. Thats why people BELIEVE in ghosts. If science had evidence of them, we would KNOW not BELIEVE.

Finally got my black belt....

#93    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• 1,815 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

View Postscowl, on 07 February 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

One fun exercise I had in a psychology class was to listen to a recording of voices in a room and try to determine their gender and age. What we thought were people saying short words were ordinary noises like bumps, heating vents, and simple movement of the building -- the room had been unoccupied. Since we were expecting voices, our brains helpfully interpreted them that way. This trick is regularly used during investigations on "Fact or Faked".

I think this effect is part of what we experience as "ghosts". All day we are bombarded with sounds that we ignore. If we believe these sounds have some significance, we'll start misinterpreting them.

Yes auditory paredoila, a good example of visual P. is the face on Mars. Our brain is wired to create pattern even when there are none. Just like when you place four dots on a white wall, some people will see the basic structure of a face (eyes, nose, mouth). Possibly like you say some of the paranormal experience is a form of pareidolia. The pet theory of my father was the sounds and other stuff (like objects moving by itself ect) was the produce of small microquakes. We lived in Napoli (Italy) and that is a seismic area. So its plausible. But what happens in the house was a bit more complex than few sounds and moving fornitures. Sometimes we saw also apparitions especially my mother she experienced a lot. In the beginning I was afraid that my mom had some degree of schizophrenia. But I discarded it, since we moved away in 1994 nothing has happen and we all witnessed these strange events. Maybe there was something, or maybe we all went crazy in those years.

Finally got my black belt....

#94    Daniel_

Daniel_

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

• I would recommend that we put the unit back in operation and letit fail. It should then be a simple matter to track down the cause. -Hal 9000

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

Science currently tells us that on the most known basic level that that reality is based upon consciousness ALONE. In the absence of humans there can be only other consciousness such as aliens... in absence of them also perhaps there is only a superintelligent conscious being that has decided to run an interesting simulation (www.simulation-argument.com) or devote itself entirely to it. It is RIDICULOUS what passes as "science' or 'scientist' today. Our educational system is corrupt beyond all refute and is only concerned with making money rather than imparting knowledge.

Edited by Daniel_, 08 February 2013 - 11:58 PM.

#95    Moogie

Moogie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

If you talk about personal exerience, you are not believed, so what is the point.  As for science, they are beginning to recognize, via quantum physics, that things exist that we cannot explain.  There is also some scientific evidence of a zero point field from which all things are possibly manifested via the manipulation of electromagnetic fields, as well as a level of cosmic consciousness or universal knowledge to which all of us have access.  (A possible explanation for the existence of a Godhead of some type)  If these things can exist, then ghosts can exist as well.

#96    cultanorak

cultanorak

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

• I imagine you have orders to destroy me?

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

What annoys me about ghosts and leads me to believe they don't exist is their elitism the way only sensitive and clairvoyant people can see them which reaks of superiority to the rest of us people who can't see ghosts. What makes these psychics so special that they can see ghosts but the rest of us can't? What gives them the right? The whole ghost thing is just a massive fraud and con by self proclaimed psychics who should be treated with ridicule for suggesting their better than the rest of us because they can see ghosts!

#97    _Only

_Only

• 6,634 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

View Postyearofthehater, on 16 February 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

The whole ghost thing is just a massive fraud and con by self proclaimed psychics who should be treated with ridicule for suggesting their better than the rest of us because they can see ghosts!

The problem with that hypothesis is that one preceded the other, and the idea ended solely on subjective opinion.

Edited by _Only, 16 February 2013 - 11:00 PM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#98    Alienz8mypopcorn

Alienz8mypopcorn

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

• Investigating wherever the AF sends me

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

I've been on a great number of investigations, and used to be part of a legitmately recognized paranormal group. I never saw anything that convinced me that ghosts are real, but I still believe. Members of the group claimed to have seen things/heard things/felt things. I guess the dead just don't really like me too much :cry:

But all the same, perhaps no one has produced any reputable shred of evidence yet because we're all going about this in entirely the wrong way. Since a ghost can't be "captured" and studied, there is literally nothing to base any "investigative methods" on at all. Perhaps EMF detectors and cameras and Digital Voice Recorders are all useless in the hunt for evidence. Maybe we're all searching way out in left field?

Or moreover, maybe the technology to capture this evidence just hasn't been invented yet. Like I said, the members of my group would CONSTANTLY be claiming that we got "something" on every single investigation. I was always like: "Look, you guys get more evidence than anyone else I've ever heard of. If everyone got something everytime they went out, there'd be nothing to prove right now." OR "People with thousands of dollars worth of equipment can't find evidence, I don't think a gaggle of military wives with some digital cameras are going too."

Perhaps they're real and we just don't know HOW to support our beliefs, or the technology too. Or, y'know, we're all wrong and they don't exist at all. Either way, it's a fun topic.

QUICK, WINCHESTER BROTHERS! I DO BELIEVE THERE'S A DEMON IN MY BED! ILL NEED BOTH OF YOU TO JUMP IN AT THE SAME TIME TO EXORCISE IT! :tu:

#99    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,616 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

View Postyearofthehater, on 16 February 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

What annoys me about ghosts and leads me to believe they don't exist is their elitism the way only sensitive and clairvoyant people can see them which reaks of superiority to the rest of us people who can't see ghosts. What makes these psychics so special that they can see ghosts but the rest of us can't? What gives them the right? The whole ghost thing is just a massive fraud and con by self proclaimed psychics who should be treated with ridicule for suggesting their better than the rest of us because they can see ghosts!

I think anyone can see them depending on certain conditions we don't understand yet, whether it be mental state or environmental factors or a combination, usually folks don't see them on command but have the living waste scared out of them! I think haunted places can continually have 'activity' but only in manifest stage such as orbs and auditory phenomena, very early stages of what we consider 'ghosts'.

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#100    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

Are Ghosts Real? Science Says No-o-o-o

Rubbish.  Science has got no idea if ghosts are real.

#101    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,572 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

In other words would you rather believe what you want to believe, or would you rather believe in the truth?

Some of us choose the truth.

Your version of the truth :whistle:

#102    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,355 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

If ghosts are not real, then what do you call being physically attacked by one? I was lifted into the air and pushed back into an railing, which scared the crap out of me because it was so sudden and unexpected.  There is some forces at work that is unknown... I don't believe in demons but I believe in poltergeists.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#103    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

View PostUncle Sam, on 04 March 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

If ghosts are not real, then what do you call being physically attacked by one? I was lifted into the air and pushed back into an railing, which scared the crap out of me because it was so sudden and unexpected.  There is some forces at work that is unknown... I don't believe in demons but I believe in poltergeists.

Did it happen again?

#104    Blondie78

Blondie78

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

Hmm...I'm not sure I want to believe in them but have yet to see one

#105    Godofcats

Godofcats

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

Really this post gives no reason for ghost not being real. Just that there isn't good evidence for them. I can agree that most ghost hunters are incompetent though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users