Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

migraines and the paranormal?

Niamh

First, I'd like to say I really like this forum, even if I don't necessarily post all that much and I'm a newbie.

But, about my experience/question(please move if this is not the right spot): I get migraines. However, they aren't regular migraines. I don't get auras, medicines do not work, and they seem to have little or no warning. I also get weird smells and tastes in my mouth when I get them and frequently have very vivid, "waking" dreams if you will when I have them. I have had these from a very young age--originally abdominal migraines, same weird issues, they just migrated upward. These odd dreams I have frequently occur before something nasty happens in my life or the outside world, though they don't seem to be "visions" or anything. They have also inspired all the best creative works(I write) I've come up with and frequently cause those around me to feel like crap also.

I probably sound like a super-nut or a huge idiot, since I'm not the most informed on this topc, but I'd really like to do some reading on it or discuss it with people. Or, even better, find someone who has the same issue. Thanks to those who read it and hopefully I can get some good information!

• Like 1

Welcome to UM .. :st

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have heard of what you are explaining .. a friend experiences the same type of thing, except with her it's not migraines, it centers on her stomach. She becomes ill, then she has the 'waking' dreams ... says that she completely hates when this happens, because it tends to be a premonition .. something bad. Unlike you, she hasn't experienced this type of thing very long .. it came on all of a sudden. I hope you find more info on this topic, you've come to the right place for discussion on the paranormal and the mysteries of the mind.

my gf claims to experience ghosts in connection with her migraines so I would say you are not alone, whatever it is that is happening.

Welcome to UM! Having had mirgraines for a long time, mine was medical though, my heart goes out to you. I truly wish I had some answers or could direct you somewhere. Hopefully someone will answer that can give you some advice.

Have you seen a doctor to rule out any possibly life threatening causes? If not, I'd suggest doing so just to put your mind at ease. :tu:

Personally, I've never had a migraine *knocks on wood* (just mild headaches at times) so I can't even imagine what you're going through on the pain level, sorry. :(

Oh, and welcome to the forum :D As someone else said in another post somewhere - "keep your hands inside the ride at all times" and enjoy. :)

Edited by ai_guardian

I know alot about migraines but can't help you out much with the paranormal aspect. Considering each person has unique triggers, often environmental - sometimes as benign as smells, it doesn't seem too far fetched. Don't spirits change the environment?

Whatever is triggering them, you should really find yourself a good nurologist to figure out how to eliminate them. I expect you've had an MRI? If not you should. I used to get them nearly daily but they have flux'ed through the years. Now with the right preventative meds and abortives I can keep them down to 3-4 mild migraines a week and the abortives work well to eliminate them if I take them early. If triptans like Imitrex don't work, there are other things you can try!! Find a good neuro and keep working at it until you find something that works for you. It is a hassle, but dealing with migraine pain is much worse. :(

I've had migraines for many years. I'm 50 years old now and had the first one when I was 19. The migraine aura isn't always visual. Some people will experience odors or unusual tastes as a precursor to a migraine. Myself, I smell roses, sometimes for a few hours before they start. Severe migraines can sometimes cause hallucinations as well. Most migraines typically last around 3 days. They start on one side of the head, switching to the other side normally within 24 hours. It can switch from one side to other several times. Migraines are usually accompanied by nausea and/or vomiting and dizziness. They cause light sensitivity in the eyes as well.

I've never personally experienced anything paranormal that was directly related to my migraines, so that is not a subject I know much about. Sorry. I do agree with the others though, that all possible medical causes should be ruled out first.

Thanks for all the great replies! I should clarify that I have been going to a neurologist since I was nine, about a year after they started. None of the medications they seem to have right now work,at least the majority of the time. Relpax(a newer one) works occasionally, if I can catch it as soon as I start to get that weird copper taste in my mouth. So, they've ruled out anything life threatening, but they haven't managed to figure out what is actually the difficulty. Some think hormones, due to my age(I'm 20). A few think it's stress because of the heavy course load I've always had in school.

Maybe I'm hallucinating. I hadn't thought about it, but pain can make people hallucinate. Especially if it's in the head. But, since it isn't life threatening, I am going to try out some things on my own--like trying to write down exactly what I see in these waking dreams and writing down all the foods I eat to see if something is triggering these. They seem to be getting shorter, but much more itense and another visit to the M.D. will be in order if nothing gets better. But I'd rather not spend that money if I can avoid it.

It sort of surprised me to see so many people with migraines. I really feel for all of you, I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy.

I can really relate to this I have experienced migraines since I was 14 some doctors put it down to chocolate(no!) some stress some hormones, I experienced hallucinations when they were really bad. I don't get them so much now I'm 23 now but occasio9nally I get them I think from severe stress I dunno know if this helps or not but you are nbot alone hang in there and hopefully they will ease up :D

Maybe I'm hallucinating. I hadn't thought about it, but pain can make people hallucinate.

That is quite possible, just like a person who is suffering from a high temp .. they tend to have hallucinations.

I get migraines with aura. The visual disturbances and the muddled thinking are bad enough without throwing the paranormal in there! :D I am on new meds too but I've not had a migraine since I started them. user posted image I feel for you too!

I read somewhere that there are now over 800 meds used to treat migraines.... :blink: I guess considering all the different varieties, it might not be that far off. Food diaries are a great idea, it definately helped me!! Getting older also helped, at least with the intensity if not the frequency. Some people swear by herbs and vitamins, it's a cheap fix and could help. My auras are boring, just yellow overcast and squigglies, but I've heard some interesting stories. Have you tried any preventatives, Niamh? There are some mild options out there that could be worth a shot. I take Topomax. It's not exactly mild, but it helps me to lead a somewhat normal life. There are some good forums out there that I like to use to keep up to date. This is a pretty good one and there are alot of well informed posters.

I am on new meds too but I've not had a migraine since I started them. user posted image I feel for you too!

I'll have what she's having! :clap:

I have to strongly say that Migraines is not paranormal related. I've only suffered one full blown migraine in my life, ok I know its only once but it was bad enough that it really funked with my vision and I had to stay in a dark room and have the dr called out to me, was throwing up with it as well. I really do feel for those that suffer migraines regulary, they are so debilitating.

My point is though that the amount of pain and distress a migraine causes does not correlate with spirit experience. Spirit energy/presence, whatever will not impose that kind of reaction on someone. The sensories triggered by migraines are to do with the migraine nothing else.

I have to strongly say that Migraines is not paranormal related. I've only suffered one full blown migraine in my life, ok I know its only once but it was bad enough that it really funked with my vision and I had to stay in a dark room and have the dr called out to me, was throwing up with it as well. I really do feel for those that suffer migraines regulary, they are so debilitating.

My point is though that the amount of pain and distress a migraine causes does not correlate with spirit experience. Spirit energy/presence, whatever will not impose that kind of reaction on someone. The sensories triggered by migraines are to do with the migraine nothing else.

I absolutely agree with this.

I never had anything paranormal with migraines, just the normal nausea, sensitivity to light, smells and aruas. But once I had just got off work. I was housekeeper and I was walking down the hall to the main lobby when everything started to go gray, it kept getting harder to see so I sat in a chair in the lobby before I walked into something. As i sat it got darker and darker tell I was totaly blind. I sat for perhaps 3 mins in complete darkness and was just ready to start screaming help me I'm blind when light started to slowly come back. Another 4 or 5 mins I could see fully again. 15 minutes later wham the worst migraine I ever had.

my_psychosis that's horrible! I've always had bad visual disturbances with my migraines, but never going completely blind!!

my_psychosis that's horrible! I've always had bad visual disturbances with my migraines, but never going completely blind!!

Yes. I was terrified. It only happened once thank god. I was pregnant with my first child at the time. He is 19 now so it was years ago.

Yes. I was terrified. It only happened once thank god. I was pregnant with my first child at the time. He is 19 now so it was years ago.

Oddly, during all 4 of my pregnancies my migraines went away completely for the full nine months. None of the medications or herbal remedies I've tried have ever done much for them, but pregnancy did!

Oddly, during all 4 of my pregnancies my migraines went away completely for the full nine months. None of the medications or herbal remedies I've tried have ever done much for them, but pregnancy did!

Mine just have come and gone with stress, pregnant or not. That was my worst however.

someone tell this to my gf.

on the other hand, the "info" she got from one of the "ghosts" was about something she had never heard of prior to the "exchange" and was verifiable via a look-up of archives at the library.

someone tell this to my gf.

on the other hand, the "info" she got from one of the "ghosts" was about something she had never heard of prior to the "exchange" and was verifiable via a look-up of archives at the library.

What was this info?

As i sat it got darker and darker tell I was totaly blind. I sat for perhaps 3 mins in complete darkness and was just ready to start screaming help me I'm blind when light started to slowly come back. Another 4 or 5 mins I could see fully again. 15 minutes later wham the worst migraine I ever had.

Now it appears I have more serious things to worry about than the paranormal.

Really... I had one that was so bad it damaged a nerve in my inner ear and made me "seasick" so bad I couldn't get out of bed for a few days and was woozy for a couple weeks. Vestibular Neuritis. I'd take a ghostie over that any day of the week. :yes:

Really... I had one that was so bad it damaged a nerve in my inner ear

That's horrid. Yeah, I'm thinking I'll take what's behind door number 2 instead of that. :tu:

I get what we think are stress migranes because I only get them when someone around me is fighting! It makes me really angry at people really annoying and I just have to deal with them usually they'll happen daily for a few weeks---but it hasn't happened in awhile (except today but I just think it's a normal headache) I know how bad they can be--what helps me is Excedrin tension headache