Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ghost Hunters Haunted

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

by Terror of Competition I meant to add to title

Interesting article, I thought.
I can't believe how long some of these shows have lasted.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t3

Edited by QuiteContrary, 08 September 2013 - 11:51 AM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#2    CORK_SNIPER

CORK_SNIPER

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

Those Tv shows were so full of ****. Everytime I see one on tv it makes my blood boil.

#3    highdesert50

highdesert50

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

I would argue competition is healthy as it weeds out the hype and bling poseurs and, dare I say it, maybe even encourage the needed rigor for applying sound research methods. Now wouldn't that be a change of pace for maintaining credibility with viewers, use a research methodologist to help substantiate the results.

#4    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

I doubt that anyone can make a ghost perform on cue, and trying to poke the supernatural with a stick to see what you can make happen is just plain dumb.  I don't really watch television, so have never seen one of those programs, not that I would want to.

#5    Curley Fryes

Curley Fryes

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

I've watched Ghost Hunters and have never ever seen anything that looked paranormal.  They're all fake.

#6    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

I confess the guilty pleasure of watching a lot of these shows. At least 95% of what I see nowadays is easily blown off as hoccum. I let my gut decide the other 5%. It's rare I see something that makes me go "whoah".

When GH came out years ago I was excited that someone was taking a clinical approach to this field and in my gut I trusted Jay and Grant beacuse of their inclination to disprove what was going on:
["Ghost Hunters" won't allow the Syfy Channel to touch any evidence, and nothing on the show is fabricated, he says.
"A lot of our cases never air," Hawes says. "We go in believing that 80% of all claims can be disproved."]

I firmly believe that production companies now are "juicing up" or flat out faking the evidence they are presenting. Makes it harder work for the legitimate researchers.

#7    HollyDolly

HollyDolly

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

:tu: I don't know if anyone here catches Azteca America which has a show called Extranormal on. They really don't use fancy gadget like GH or some of these other shows. If people have a haunting and the family needs help,they have people who will assist them but from a spiritual standpoint.They actually do catch stuff on camera,
and they will rerun what they catch so the viewer at home can see it. You can also actually hear voices or other noises they catch on audio.They went to one historic site, in Mexico, and  they caught a piece of the leg bone of a skeleton moving.No not making it up. I don't recall the site's name, but there was a glass cover over the floor showing the two skeletons that were discovered. They have caught various figures sometimes just when the camera man is panning around. In another location, everyone heard like a bang sound.The camera panned around looking for the noise source.By accident, one of the cameramen caught this human shaped black figure peering around this doorway,and then it ducked back.
I'm sure they have episodes posted on Youtube.It's a very interesting show.

#8    crisb

crisb

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

I've noticed that most of you think that these programs are fake.  In my opinion, many are not.  Unless you have had your own experiences with the paranormal, please don't subject your opinion onto others.  I have lived in haunted houses and all of my grandkids, my daughter, and I have all had our own experiences with the paranormal. Myy grandsons can see spirits, so can my grand-daughter. My daughter has another ability that she refuses to use because it scares her. She can hear what another person, especially those close to death or dead are saying. So yes, spirits are all around us, You just can't see nor hear them. When my grandsons began this, they were 2. It's been an ongoing thing for years. One is now 9 and the other is 5.  My grand-daugter is 15 and still has an uncanny habit of  saying " did you see that?"  or "who is that?"  I can't see a darn thing but I have in the past.  Thank God, that most of the spirits haven't been bad ones just ordinary people, like my daughter's ex-husband's father.  You can set a bunch of pictures in front of the oldest grandson and he can pick out the person that he sees. Even though he never met his grandfather, he knows exactly who it is.  So be picky and dislike the programs all you wish to but remember, someday it could happen to you too, when you least expect it.
I can understand why you all think they're fake.  I would too if I hadn't experienced things myself.

Edited by crisb, 10 September 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#9    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

Crisb; I don't think the paranormal is fake.  I just don't think that these people who make the television programs can force the paranormal to perform on cue.  Yes, I believe in spirits.  Been there, have seen them, heard them, too.  I think the phenomena on the TV programs is most likely fake.  As with most "reality" TV, there is little reality involved.

#10    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

So, they are out to prove that they (P.I's) are all Jackasses, and that the average consumer is a(n) Idiot. Not surprising at all.

Edited by ancient astronaut, 10 September 2013 - 09:59 PM.

#11    Duchess Gummybuns

Duchess Gummybuns

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 121 posts

• I would like to believe, but the Government covers it up as a weather balloon.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

Most of the stuff in those shows are BS. They always "hear a sound" and associate it with a ghost.

Ghosts aren't always clumsy little specters.

#12    mesuma

mesuma

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

PAH!!! The supernatural has been full of charlatans for hundreds of years why would it change now?  As usual, if money is involved then it's handbags at dawn. Hopefully the whole thing collapses and we are left with devoted people who do it for free.

#13    Phenix20

Phenix20

Psychic Spy

• 1,670 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:27 AM

There are people researching in this field for the wrong reasons. Some group charges high fees to investigate homes and it's not uncommon hearing people mentionning that they're starting to investigate ghosts for ''winning James Randi's 1 million dollar price''. This is ridiculous. But the paranormal is also victim of it's popularity. There are people who are serious about it and others see the opportunites that can be got from it.

As for paranormal TV show, they're constricted to do things in certain ways by the TV producers. Ghost Hunters and Paranormal State for instance (two show I am familliar with), it takes days to prepare, travel, research and investigate. We see only fragments edited and cut down of these investigations. The TV format according to it's budget usuall allows only for 45 or 21 minutes of episode format. But these investigations DO occur and TAPS and PRS have gathered their own evidences and therefore preserved their integrity. But they must be ready to pay the price of a TV show to promote the paranormal, which means staged and prearrenged scenes and editing and reshooting to give a certain ''look'' on the show. Lots of people therefore believe that these two shows are faked and it's not easy to fully believe but once you learn more about these people, their organisations and communites, you realise that they are serious and honest in their quest to understand and promote their views on the Paranormal.

Edited by sam_comm, 11 September 2013 - 12:36 AM.

#14    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:42 AM

View PostCORK_SNIPER, on 10 September 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

Those Tv shows were so full of ****. Everytime I see one on tv it makes my blood boil.
Everytime I see Tosh.O it makes my blood boil

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#15    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• 1,282 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:12 AM

"Ghost Hunters" won't allow the Syfy Channel to touch any evidence, and nothing on the show is fabricated, he says.

rolls eyes. :whistle:

"A lot of our cases never air," Hawes says. "We go in believing that 80% of all claims can be disproved."

Fair Enough.

Edited by stevemagegod, 11 September 2013 - 02:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users