Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama says reject those who warn of Tyranny

Drayno

85% more indoctrinated.

Not if they were on the debate team :)

This topic isn't about guns.

It's simply about how the mouthpiece of our country is letting us know his intentions through his obvious double-speak.

• Like 7

Nope, that has been done over and over again in other topics. No need to repeat what others have posted. I choose to stay out of those topics as much as possible, as I am not ready to have a annurism.

In other words, you cannot find any fallacies. I was going to post half a dozens of links on keywords in that rant, but i thought it would be too much for people to handle, so I just put in the phone tap link. If that came out 50 years ago, or 30, or 20 there would be widespread outrage. Now we need to to catch those terrorists. Too bad it doesn't seem to work though

• Like 2

In other words, you cannot find any fallacies. I was going to post half a dozens of links on keywords in that rant, but i thought it would be too much for people to handle, so I just put in the phone tap link. If that came out 50 years ago, or 30, or 20 there would be widespread outrage. Now we need to to catch those terrorists. Too bad it doesn't seem to work though

No, in plain English, black and white......

I could care less! ......I have 0 ( zero ) interest in talking in circles and repeating myself, and others fallacies.

It actually gives me a head ache.

Go cast your bait some where else, I am not biting.And, I am not going to feed your addiction.

Edited by Sakari

No, in plain English, black and white......

I could care less! ......I have 0 ( zero ) interest in talking in circles and repeating myself, and others fallacies.

It actually gives me a head ache.

Go cast your bait some where else, I am not biting.

crystal

He is speaking at a college for christ sake. Don't any of you think at least 85% of the people there are more educated then us?

I don't know about anyone else, but I have two degrees, one of which is a Masters, and a handful of graduate diplomas.

• Like 7

I'm smarter than most of the numbskulls our university spits out in my town and I ain't be havin' no degrees.

• Like 7

I don't know about anyone else, but I have two degrees, one of which is a Masters, and a handful of graduate diplomas.

I'm smarter than most of the numbskulls our university spits out in my town and I ain't be havin' no degrees.

Please keep in mind, I said 85% ....

Leaves 15% opened up :)

Come on, look at some of the topics and their replies here. :tu:

I love how people think simply because they attended college they are so much more intelligent than everyone else. What they fail to mention is they majored in fine arts, drama, philosophy, English lit or some other useless study which will not be benificial in most real life situations unless they plan on being a teacher.

I'm not talking about you, Wearer of Hats. You are a very reasonable person and I don't believe I've ever seen you being condescending to anyone. You don't flaunt your education or use it to demean others. :tu:

Do not get me wrong. I delivered Pepsi, and at a lot of the stores, the Managers had degrees, and I was making more then they were.( learned this when I used to say " should have went to college " in conversations.)

And, there are MANY people more educated then myself, and many that are " smarter " when it comes to higher education.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 2

I love how people think simply because they attended college they are so much more intelligent than everyone else. What they fail to mention is they majored in fine arts, drama, philosophy, English lit or some other useless study which will not be benificial in most real life situations unless they plan on being a teacher.

The only thing that a higher education gives you is that you become more susceptible to the *Con*.

• Like 5

The only thing that a higher education gives you is that you become more susceptible to the *Con*.

I noticed this too after completing my BBus. You always seem to leave College with a liberal political slant. It took me a few years of the real world to set me right.

• Like 4

Do not get me wrong. I delivered Pepsi, and at a lot of the stores, the Managers had degrees, and I was making more then they were.( learned this when I used to say " should have went to college " in conversations.)

And, there are MANY people more educated then myself, and many that are " smarter " when it comes to higher education.

And some who are self taught and learned from practical application or experience. I've had doctors ask me what formal education I've had because I learned a great deal while taking care of my Mother in her last ten years. It was prudent to become educated in her care.

• Like 4

"If you are young and not liberal, then you have no heart, but if you are old and not conservative, then you have no brain."

• Like 6

"If you are young and not liberal, then you have no heart, but if you are old and not conservative, then you have no brain."

I literally laughed out loud reading this

• Like 2

One of my favorite quotes from Winston Churchill. :tu:

• Like 1

My response was "crap! I'm OLD!!"

• Like 3

My response was "crap! I'm OLD!!"

:w00t: I have seen your attitude change a little over the years, old man. ;)

• Like 2

And some who are self taught and learned from practical application or experience. I've had doctors ask me what formal education I've had because I learned a great deal while taking care of my Mother in her last ten years. It was prudent to become educated in her care.

I know what you mean.

I've got some college education under my belt. The first time I went to college, I was able to get the degrees so I could teach English Lit. and History. I actually, went back to school so I could become an occupational/physical therapist for children, but I wasn't able to finish due to money reasons. When my son gets older, I definitely wanna go back to college. I love learning.

Now, my husband, has a GED and has never been to college. But the man is the smartest guy I've ever known. And his knowledge is useful in real life! He can do anything, figure anything out. He can get fix ANYTHING, make anything. He's just like my dad in that respect. People need to realize, there are different levels of intellect. Some people, like me, are book smart. People like my husband are life smart. :)

I like that! :tu:

• Like 5

Context is required. Listen to the full speech in either of the two links below.

[media=]

[/media]

http://www.cbsnews.c...h/?id=50146232n

Well ...... I dutifully listened to this all the way through and didn't find that the context made any difference. Although I did find it interesting that he seemed to emphasise 'the middle classes' quite a bit, how their lot in life deserved to be improved. No mention of 'citizenship' meaning an involvement in the plight of those currently less well off or even downright poor!

But the line that made my jaw drop was this: "There is not a country on Earth that would not change places with the USA!" !!! This is the sort of statement that causes people to hate the US and all it stands for ..... not envy it! Why? because implicit in that statement is the USA as the pinnacle of human civilization ........ which it blatantly isn't when you think of all the mayhem it creates around the world.

Something popped into my head when I was watching the vid: American soldiers ordered to shoot on American students protesting about the Vietnam War ...... in America ......

• Like 5

I can only address this topic with a brief quote from the wisdom of the ancient ages...

"Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into despotism"....Aristotle

Those that think it is impossible for tyranny to arise in this day and age have obviously forgotten history and thus shall be doomed to repeat it.

Despotism arises when the people...tired, helpless, or afraid... relinquish their freedom and their voice in hopes that someone will protect them or take care of them...this is the fastest way into the death spiral....slavery and genocide are always just one generation away...

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 6

You are trying to abolish an amendment that you were sworn in to protect, yeah, I believe anything that comes from your mouth Obama...

• Like 2

But the line that made my jaw drop was this: "There is not a country on Earth that would not change places with the USA!" !!!

Yes there is - Australia.

First of all - same size (not counting Alaska). Second of all - better climate. Thirdly - we're a self-sufficent nation, we're exporters.

So NAH! :P

I was worried that the conspiracy theory section was bleeding over into this thread. Glad to see I was wrong.

Far too many simply seem to interpret the world through the conflict thesis where the elites class, corporations, are out to enslave the 99%, or whatever percentage you would assign us.

It is an us-vs-them type of mindest based on competition, zero-sum games, and the ironically the conflict thesis is the invention of Marx.

I favor functionalism which is based on cooperation, understanding different parts of society work with each other, and no matter how far one component of society pulls one way or the other that balance will always be restored, naturally regained, through the course of our relations.

It is a simplified view but optimistic. Definitely a less stress-inducing approach. Win-win games ftw!

While we can oppose our enemies and their platforms as a group, even in war, we should always honor them on an individual basis. For after the war we will have to work with each other again and at times we can even help each other during war.

Far too many are easily offended when their group is assailed and take it personally and want to personally strike back. Or maybe that is just the general overall style of some, to attack persons and not platforms.

In either case a study of history will prove things always work out. The elite will always be checked and so will the masses when they overstep, in due time, progress is not about speed but direction and the course of history has moved in the general, overall direction of progress. From the ocean we crawled out, into he trees, then down from them, and each stage, regardless of temporary setbacks such as the last World Wars, depressions, and recessions, there is life to be live and the general direction has been forward.

The opposing belief that things were better in the past is a position of despair but better known as laudatio temporis acti. It is a medieval mindset where one believed that the world is decaying and was only pure and golden in the garden. The Renassiance overturned that and gave us hope, democracy, and the ability to recognize the progress that has always been with us.

This is what I love, these ideas, these concepts, and while others might assail me for them, one has no choice but to be sincere to themselves, approach the world as themselves, and no one should ever let others tell them they can't love what they do or see the world as they do.

Wil Wheaton Explains To A Newborn What It Means To Be A Nerd

“My name is Wil Wheaton. It’s 2013. And you’ve just recently joined us on planet Earth. So welcome. I’m an actor. I’m a writer. And I’m a Dad. Your mother asked me to tell you why it’s awesome to be a nerd. That’s an easy thing for me to do because I am a nerd.

I don’t know what the world is going to be like by the time you understand this. I don’t what it’s going to mean to be a nerd when you are a young women. For me, when I was growing up, being a nerd meant that I liked things that were a little weird. That took a lot of effort to appreciate and understand. It meant that I loved science, and that I loved playing board games, and reading books, and really understanding what went on in the world instead of just riding the planet through space.

When I was a little boy, people really teased us about that, and made us feel like there was something wrong with us for loving those things. Now that I’m an adult, I’m kind of a professional nerd, and the world has changed a lot. I think a lot of us have realized that being a nerd … it’s not about what you love. It’s about how you love it.

So, there’s going to be a thing in your life that you love. I don’t know what that’s going to be … and it doesn’t matter what it is. The way you love that, and the way that you find other people who love it the way you do is what makes you a nerd. The defining characteristic of [being a nerd] is that we
love
things. Some of us love
Firefly
and some of us love
Game of Thrones
, or
Star Trek
, or
Star Wars
, or anime, or games, or fantasy, or science fiction. Some of us love completely different things. But we all love those things SO much that we travel for thousands of miles … we come from all over the world, so that we can be around people who love the things the way that we love them.

That’s why being a nerd is awesome. And don’t let anyone tell you that that thing that you love is a thing that you can’t love. Don’t anyone ever tell you that you can’t love that, that’s for boys … you find the things that you love, and you love them the most that you can.

And listen: This is really important. I want you to be honest, honorable, kind. I want you to work hard. Because everything worth doing is hard. And I want you to be awesome, and I will do my very best to leave you a planet that you can still live on.

There are many others who live in their own world, who ignore these topics, and while others might call them sheeple, that is a bit dehumanizing, they are simply following what they love or trying to find it, in themselves, in others, in each other, and in the Universe at large.

The world goes on...leave the "crabs in a barrel syndrome" behind if you can, we should leave a better inheritance to the younger generations, our children. The sooner the better.

When you feel your best years are behind you, any future ones should be worth that much more.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!