Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ah-oh, evidence of alternate universe found

god partical higgs boson alternate universes

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16    shrooma

shrooma

Incorrigible Rogue.

• 3,117 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

a quantum fluctuation of this type can happen at ANY time, not just billions of years into the future.
one could be happening right now.
one could've happened thousands of years ago, millions of light years away, and our universe is being swallowed up as we speak.
there ARE no time restrictions on events like these, or, by definition, they wouldn't BE quantum events.

sometimes, your signature is worth nothing at all.

#17    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,259 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 24 February 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

And this is why they've spent billions on this Higgs-Boson thing? What is the actual point of any of this?

Next person who says this I am personally going to go to their house and rip their computer out of wall and toss it in the trash. There is no point owning one. It must be a total waste of science, electricity, time and money.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#18    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 24 February 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

Next person who says this I am personally going to go to their house and rip their computer out of wall and toss it in the trash. There is no point owning one. It must be a total waste of science, electricity, time and money.

:lol:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#19    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

The universe is a free lunch and this looks like when the bill comes.

I would observe that this will be a quantum event, and therefore random.  That they've made estimates of the time frame involved tells me they have some idea of the odds, but I did not actually see any given.

Those making points that this work could lead to all sorts of amazing things for the future need only point to how electromagnetic research was so pointless in the nineteenth century.

#20    shrooma

shrooma

Incorrigible Rogue.

• 3,117 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 24 February 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

Those making points that this work could lead to all sorts of amazing things for the future need only point to how electromagnetic research was so pointless in the nineteenth century.
was that sarcasm?

#21    Twinkle Arora is back

Twinkle Arora is back

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 202 posts

• Mythical Awareness

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 24 February 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

And this is why they've spent billions on this Higgs-Boson thing? What is the actual point of any of this?

As with many other past discoveries we see that at that point in time, like when electricity was discovered did anyone think that one day things like smartphones and laptops and computers will ever exist?, it would have sounded bizarre at that time.
The thing is that I believe that it is very important for us to know the universe works and all its potentials that we can harness to sustain our species.
I may not be able to explain it now but I am sure all these discoveries will surely play an important and viral role in future that we cannot even think of and imagine, at least of now.

#22    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Sarcasm?  I was merely making the same point that Twinkle Aurora just made.

#23    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,432 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 24 February 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

I've noticed this often seems to be the response from people who know all about Quantum of Solace Fluctuations, and look own their nose at the irrational science haters who don't punch the air in exultation at every new discovery. Perhaps one reason that people don't might be because it's often very difficult for anyone to have the faintest idea what it all means.  If you could perhaps explain to irrational science haters (and I bet they're all Creationists as well) what this means exactly, I'm sure everyone will be all ears.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#24    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 24 February 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

If you could perhaps explain to irrational science haters (and I bet they're all Creationists as well) what this means exactly, I'm sure everyone will be all ears.
Now from what you've posted I've got a good idea you understand much of this as well as the rest of us.

That said, let me just say that there are many reasons people have different views of the world, and ignorance and stupidity and religious dogmatism are among them.  With regard to the specific thing here -- the spending of big bucks on big science by uncomprehending taxpayers, I think it makes some sense.  Scientists are as interested in posh retirements as anyone else.  It's kinda hard to support mass taxpayer support for things that private investors avoid.  The reason of course is that private investors necessarily have a much shorter time horizon (they want a quick return), so the state or combinations of states must do this sort of work.

#25    shrooma

shrooma

Incorrigible Rogue.

• 3,117 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 24 February 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

Sarcasm?  I was merely making the same point that Twinkle Aurora just made.
better worded next time then maybe?

#26    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Maybe more carefully read.

#27    shrooma

shrooma

Incorrigible Rogue.

• 3,117 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

this doesn't mean what you think it means frank.
what it means, is that electromagnetic research in the nineteenth century was pointless, which is why I asked if you were being sarcastic.
so please, stop trying to be a smart-ass, it doesn't suit you.

#28    third_eye

third_eye

§_Ő M „ Ġ Ó ń ∆ Ř Ī Ł Ş_ §

• 6,861 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

it is to stop more money from pouring into that bottomless F35 pit

where as this research would pave the path to the ultimate weapon of self defense, a weapon that will only kill enemies.

~edit : death of the grammarian

Edited by third_eye, 24 February 2013 - 04:19 PM.

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#29    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

I would observe that this will be a quantum event, and therefore random.  That they've made estimates of the time frame involved tells me they have some idea of the odds, but I did not actually see any given.

There doesn't seem to be much technical information on this story. The basis for the story is a talk given at the AAAS meeting, but there are no details other than an abstract

I imagine there will be a scientific article published soon though.

But basically this is just theorists doing what they are supposed to be doing; the standard model + string theory has lots of "bells and whistles", and at the moment there is not enough experimental evidence to rule out many of them. So when one new piece of information is learned (such as a plausible mass for the Higgs boson - and remember we are not completely sure that it WAS the Higgs boson that they saw in the LHC) theorists try to figure out all the ways this can impact their theories.

And if they find something dramatic, they report it. Dr. Lykken talked about his finding at an AAAS meeting (an appropriate venue for this sort of scientifically justified speculation, in my opinion), the BBC picked it up and reported it from there.

What is missing from the BBC article is the debate which almost certainly happened after Dr. Lykken's talk (during the formal question period and probably during subsequent coffee sessions) between Dr. Lykken and other theorists about whether his calculations were correct, or justified, or possible, etc.

#30    Horus Christos

Horus Christos

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

I postulate that the new bubble universe would expand greater than the speed of light by incorporating all or parts of the universe it was expanding into, which explains the inflationy-model of our own universe (it would be highly unlikely that we were the first cycle ever).  I hereby patent calling this the "big gulp" theory of cyclical universes.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users