Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

J. J. Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII,

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 25 January 2013 - 11:49 PM, said:

Revenge of the Sith is my second favourite Star Wars film, behind Return of the Jedi and only slightly ahead of The Empire Strikes Back (which itself.is only slightly ahead of A New Hope).

RotS is definitely the best of the second trilogy. Not sure I'd go further than that though.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#17    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,159 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

As long as Jar Jar Binks doesn't make an appearance it should be good. But then, Jar Jar is pretty Disney-esque so he probably will.

I believe there's a mathematical formula that states that the quality of a Star Wars film is inversely proportionate to the length of time Jar Jar is on screen. Original series -no Jar Jar = awesome. Phantom Menace, lots of Jar Jar = crap. Attack of the Clones, two scenes with Jar Jar = mildly watchable. Revenge of the Sith, one sentence from Jar Jar = almost awesome film (except for Vader's "NOOOOOO" it would be fully awesome).

I was a fan of the new Trek film that Abrams directed so hopefully I'm not disappointed by this.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#18    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:05 AM

Maybe he can make it not suck

Miss me?

#19    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,454 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:23 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 26 January 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

As long as Jar Jar Binks doesn't make an appearance it should be good. But then, Jar Jar is pretty Disney-esque so he probably will.

I believe there's a mathematical formula that states that the quality of a Star Wars film is inversely proportionate to the length of time Jar Jar is on screen. Original series -no Jar Jar = awesome. Phantom Menace, lots of Jar Jar = crap. Attack of the Clones, two scenes with Jar Jar = mildly watchable. Revenge of the Sith, one sentence from Jar Jar = almost awesome film (except for Vader's "NOOOOOO" it would be fully awesome).

I was a fan of the new Trek film that Abrams directed so hopefully I'm not disappointed by this.
I believe the new trilogy is for episodes 7,8 and 9 so unless Jar Jar Binks has an exceedingly long lifespan we should be spared.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#20    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,159 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 27 January 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

I believe the new trilogy is for episodes 7,8 and 9 so unless Jar Jar Binks has an exceedingly long lifespan we should be spared.
Yeah, I know, but as I said - it's Disney.  Maybe it will be a descendant of Jar Jar.  Perhaps something like "Jar Jar Mayonnaise" or other such corny name.  Yes, I'm cynical that Disney can pull off a quality Star Wars film.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#21    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,454 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 27 January 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

Yeah, I know, but as I said - it's Disney.  Maybe it will be a descendant of Jar Jar.  Perhaps something like "Jar Jar Mayonnaise" or other such corny name.  Yes, I'm cynical that Disney can pull off a quality Star Wars film.
:w00t:  Ok, I see your point - ouch, I hope JJ Abrams can hold the disney friend brigade at bay.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#22    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 27 January 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

I dunno. John Carter was the best sci-fi film I'd seen in years.

#23    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Maybe they can bring back the the Sith and have them win once before the inevitable sequal :clap:

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#24    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Oh no :(

Guess I'll have to start burning my Star Wars stuff then. Dinnae like JJ Abrams.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#25    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

View PostUrisk, on 28 January 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Oh no :(

Guess I'll have to start burning my Star Wars stuff then. Dinnae like JJ Abrams.
I think that sometimes people think that a new directors gonna come along and just totally F up the trilogy. They may or may not depending on your opinion but that doesnt take away from the magical quality of the first films. Not everyone can be a George Lucas

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#26    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 27 January 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

I dunno. John Carter was the best sci-fi film I'd seen in years.

Must admit, that film was pretty good. Watched it a couple of weeks back.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#27    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,682 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

Considering I own most of the expanded universe I really, really hope they make the films set during the Yuuzhan Vong War.

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#28    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,001 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 26 January 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

Jar Jar Abrams. Just saying.

"What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?" - Tiggs vs PA - Did Jesus Really exist? - The Formal Debate:
HERE
Posted Image

#29    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Personally, what I'm looking forward to most is a Yoda back-story at some point in the future. Lucas never allowed anything that happened before the time of Anakin to be written about Yoda.

View PostEonwe, on 29 January 2013 - 12:12 AM, said:

Considering I own most of the expanded universe I really, really hope they make the films set during the Yuuzhan Vong War.

I'll be gutted if it doesn't follow the Expanded Universe. So much invested time, wasted.

View PostTiggs, on 29 January 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

Jar Jar Abrams. Just saying.

You don't like Abrams?

#30    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 28 January 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

I think that sometimes people think that a new directors gonna come along and just totally F up the trilogy. They may or may not depending on your opinion but that doesnt take away from the magical quality of the first films. Not everyone can be a George Lucas

Thank goodness. :P I think the only reason there hasn't been a remake of Star Wars (a la Hallowe'en, Clash of the Titans etc) is that Georgie has went back 5 or 6 times and fiddled with the films. I do love the original trilogy, but I wish he just left them alone. They were fine! They were a moment in time, and should be left thus. Okay Ridley did the same thing with Blade Runner, but aside from the Dekker: is he isn't he? thing removing the awful monologues was a vast improvement.

It's not that it's a new director or anything (Empire..., my fave, was directed by Irvin Kershner, after all), it's just that I really am not into JJ Abrams' style. Cloverfield was, I admit, decent, but by the end of the first season of Lost i really wanted to throw something big and heavy at the telly. I dunno, there's just something about his stuff that I find a wee bit pretentious or something.

Edited by Urisk, 29 January 2013 - 07:36 PM.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users