Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant owl photographed at Carrizo Springs

Saru

A picture showing two men holding up a huge owl has been circulating forums and social media sites.

The legend of the "Lechuza" has been told in this area for years. Now, a recent picture has sparked a discussion about whether the picture is real.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Is it real? That's the question. If it is that's one big old owl, and a white one at that.

• Like 1

My first thought is "those wings would be too heave for those men to hold like that without the feather theyr,re holding getting plucked".

• Like 6

Body/skeleton/carcass?

That is my question.

Until those are shown or comfirmed then in my opinion it's fake. Anyway with half a brian would have kept it to prove it.

Also if it is real I can't see the point of it, why would nature do that? So if it is real, it has to be a lab experiment. lol

• Like 1

I bet it's something to do with the Illuminati.

• Like 2

Also if it is real I can't see the point of it, why would nature do that? So if it is real, it has to be a lab experiment. lol

Gigantizm does happen in all species.......look at Andre the Giant......you don't see many like him unless they play round ball. I want to see if it turns out to be real as well. What strikes me as odd is it's not only extremely large but an albino to boot.

My first thought is "those wings would be too heave for those men to hold like that without the feather theyr,re holding getting plucked".

Body/skeleton/carcass?

That is my question.

Until those are shown or comfirmed then in my opinion it's fake. Anyway with half a brian would have kept it to prove it.

birds are light even owls are light. because there bones are hollow i believe i heard that from someone.

also nature had dinos and allagators too. seeing a giant owl must be very rare. but if you can get a real one i would send it to the nearst zoo. it might eat the other owls but at least they got a giant owl.

The picture isn't exactly spectacular -_- I usually hate seeing this comment on youtube, but its worthy of being used here: Was this taken on a potato?

• Like 2

It's a barn owl. max wingspan 3 feet and that would be an exceptionally large bird. Shopped for sure.

• Like 1

I think it is photo shopped. The picture doesn't look right. It looks like a barn owl which I think are protected. :hmm:

What a great photograph to digest while my stomach digests its apple pie and ice cream. Thanks Saru. :tu:

Here's a little thread I found about it on a Texas hunting site.

A guy does a photo analysis down the page a bit.

Looks pretty fake to me.

http://discussions.t...ad.php?t=298799

I wouldn't rule out Photoshop use, but without a good quality version of the photo to examine, discrepancies could be down to just quality loss when saving rather than image manipulation. The analysis in the link you posted seems to point out these discrepancies, and could well be spot on. but the comment about the man in the jacket removed the guys credibility for me.

The comments about the way the Owl is being held are more relevant to me. I agree that holding this animal by the tips of it wing feathers would not be the way to go. This would suggest some kind of image manipulation, forced perspective or just that something is a miss.

Finally you have the information of Laura Hatton (local Petland owner). I am not sure how qualified she is on the subject, but I bet she is more knowledgeable than myself. she say's...

Hatton says it looks like a barn owl but is way too large. She says it's really hard to determine the exact species by the undercarriage. By looking at the picture, she says it's hard to tell if it is indeed real or fake.

"The head is really out of focus so it makes you wonder about photo shop. But the wings itself look like a barn owl."

One thing Hatton says doesn't add up is the size of the bird.

"The size doesn't make any sense for the species of an owl because even the largest...a great horned owl doesn't look anything like it and it's still way smaller."

This is a local woman with 'experience' with animals, she cannot identify the owl as its colour would suggest a smaller species. This combined with the earlier points will lead me to actually stick my neck out and say....

Its a fake.

Body/skeleton/carcass?

That is my question.

There isn't going to be any carcass. It was stolen by the Giant Mutant Owl community to "protect the species". :rolleyes: I guess it turns out that the Giant Owls are actually in league with Bigfoots all over and the Bigfoot lobbyists leaned hard on the Owl supporters because they were afraid of the consequences of a Giant Owl undergoing scientific scrutiny.

Its really amazing when you think about it......I'd think that the Footers would have their hands full confiscating and burying all their own dead bigfoots to keep science from ever verifying its existence. :D

Edited by orangepeaceful79
  • Like 1

Yeah, seems famed to me as well.

looks about as real as the anchorman's wig

• Like 1

It looks fake...

Why didn't they hire me to make it?

I'm great with photoshop.

Gonna need a huge amount of sage and onion stuffing for this one, chef!

• Like 1

I think we just got our answer to cattle mutilations....

• Like 5

I think we just got our answer to cattle mutilations....

HAHA! Brillaint.

I hope it is fake I'd hate to see such a magnificent creature dead.

• Like 1

I hope it is fake I'd hate to see such a magnificent creature dead.

Fake or not I agree I hope they havent hurt any owls just to get a photo.