Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Joy of Bigfoot

Q-C

So, is there Joy in Bigfoot?

Do you find it fun and interesting? Maybe a relaxing hobby/interest?

Or, do you find it much more frustrating than fun; full of ___________, _______________, and _______________? (fill in the blanks depending on your viewpoint)

I stick with it, but do find it a frustrating hobby/interest. It raises my blood pressure, makes me question some people's sanity, and depresses me listening to those who would flat out lie for profit, power, ego (some in the name of science!)...

What keeps you in it? What do you find interesting or frustrating or maddening or enjoyable?

I don't know how much I'll comment, but I'm interested in hearing the why's from others from all viewpoints on the subject.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

I think it is a joke, full of frauds that should not be making money off of it. People need to stop giving it attention, so these frauds will have to go out and get real jobs.

I am surprised I replied. I only did as it was QC that started the topic and I respect her, and it is not a " bigfoot sighting " topic.

I used to believe in the possibility many years ago...I researched, and grew up. I then had a interest in the psychological reasons of people believeing in this. ( blind faith ).

I have recently become very sick of the entire thing, and see the same topics, questions, debates, and answers all of the time. Carbon copies of the same topics, questions, and answers that have been discussed for years.

It is a addiction, and one I am staying away from.

So, nothing keeps me in it anymore. As many in the past that did the same things, I am out of it as well as they are.

" fantasy " is human nature, and people like to have mysteries, this is one that is so stupid to even believe in at all, that I can not take the insanity anymore. A lot of the discussion really looks like a bunch of kids under a sheet, with flashlights, at a sleep over are discussing it. No offense to anyone, but it really looks that way if you step back and read the discussions.

Anyway QC, out of respect, I answered this side of it :)

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 3

As I've learned from Night Walker, story-telling is a vital part of who we are as humans. And I enjoy stories whether told at the theater, in a book, through poetry, or from friends and relatives...and I enjoy many of the bigfoot accounts. Some are very lengthy and detailed. I like the scarier ones best.

"Average Joe" tales of encounters with bigfoot, or a possible bigfoot, are fun and innocent and entertaining, imo.

I enjoy them as I would any good fiction.

Personally, I think I have a bit of the mountain man in me, maybe a bit of wanderlust and just enough of the romantic to make it all jell together. Since my own feelings about the creature are a little different than most, it's kind of hard for me to really express them exactly. I've never seen one or found any footprints or evidence of them myself, but two friends of mine claimed to have, after hearing from them I decided to check things out for myself. Over the years, the stories are largely the same, the photos are the same, out of focus, "blobsquatch" photos or so far away that you can't make out anything. However, every now and then I run across something that clicks for some reason.

• Like 1

Most Bigfoot stories, videos and True Believers make me Laugh out Loud. I find the subject seriously entertaining. On both sides. The more rabid Skeptics make terrific fun debate partners. Even more so then the True Believers, because a Believer will not argue with you, but simply say they saw what they saw, or that they believe what they believe.

Do I believe in Bigfoot?? I believe in the Possibility of bigfoot..... A super tiny small percentage, but it exists.

Do I believe any of the various videos and eyewitness reports are real... very possibly. I keep an open mind when examining something for the first time. I find it fun to find the inconsistencies and also to do fact checking on people's stories.

• Like 1

Having an interest in '' investigating bigfoot'' is IMO very fun. I got in a little debate with my instructor last week about whether bigfoot is real. I tell most people the same thing after seeing the famous Patterson film there is no doubt in my mind. I find a thrill in this and hope to see it ONE DAY :tu:

Edited by Spore

When I first discovered it, I thought it was really interesting and thought it was cool there was so much belief and research going on behind.

But it seems that nothing ever goes anywhere. It's always the same blurry videos and photos and same things being debated about over and over again...which is why it lost I interest.

• Like 1

Bigfoot...Bigjoke now.

The fact that some still think Bigfoot is waltzing about is just as funny as the blurry Poundland cameras people are using to capture him on.

Gee, ORA ET LABORA, you need to file that report with the BFRO (or Australian equivalent). Then they'll send some poor member to investigate :w00t: !

Gee, ORA ET LABORA, you need to file that report with the BFRO (or Australian equivalent). Then they'll send some poor member to investigate :w00t: !

They got the story 'bout 5 years back mate :su

They got the story 'bout 5 years back mate :su

:su :su :su :su :su :su :su :su :su
  • Like 1

I think it's good clean fun.

People make money off fiction all the time, so what's the difference here? People thought Dan Brown's novel was "true" too. He was still making money off fiction. People buy tabloids, Twilight, the 5 o'clock news... and some think it's all real.

I really don't get everyone who says, "It's time to grow up." Why? What's so wrong about entertaining fun fantasies?

Edited by Purplos

I think it's good clean fun.

People make money off fiction all the time, so what's the difference here? People thought Dan Brown's novel was "true" too. He was still making money off fiction. People buy tabloids, Twilight, the 5 o'clock news... and some think it's all real.

I really don't get everyone who says, "It's time to grow up." Why? What's so wrong about entertaining fun fantasies?

Charging people $500.00 per person ( food not included, nor any park fees ) to go on a " investigation " with a group that claims Bigfoot is real.

That is fraud.

Making money off of T-shirts and other things, because a group claims Bigfoot is real.

That is fraud.

A Cable television station giving this group more free advertisement, and paying them because they say Bigfoot is real.

That is fraud.

At the very least, it is lying, and filling uneducated peoples heads with a bunch of crap. Like our younger generations are not spoon fed enough fecal matter from TV and the Internet. ( and adults fall for it also )

Yes, I am refering to BFRO ( Finding Bigfoot )

Just one of many groups.

Hey, you can donate money to a blimp looking for bigfoot.....They have over $11,000.00 right now ( non - refundable ), only about $289,000.00 short of their goal. But hey, say you want to build a blimp, and get $ 11,000.00 ?......Sure, if you are a fraud.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

As much as I appreciate humour we need to keep it G-rated.

oh geez...

oh geez...

cause big foots so g-rated...what are u 12?

I agree, there is definitely a fraud for profit angle to some of bigfootery. Since, I don't believe that many fraud for profiteers actually believe in its existence.

Wide-eyed kids are told facts, shown signs, and given bf experiences. If that isn't enough they even get to listen to a few scientists wax on about sasquatch.

But indoctrination into the unknown or unproven is nothing new.

Since there currently exists no scientific proof of these creatures, why not read the stories/reports (for fun), get out in the woods and explore the bf signs

"What do you think made this? How can we find out?

What is making that sound? How can we find out?

Does x prove the existence of bigfoot?

Where do you think it would live? Eat? How plausible is that ? Why?

Who is this bfspeaker we just listened to/read his book?"

and a million more and better thinking questions

Keep your beliefs if you want, but help kids to make up their own minds. To be critical thinkers who understand/appreciate the natural world and know the types of people who make up our real world, not passive believers who do not and end up preyed upon.

I've enjoy some classic dracula movies but I never made my kids sleep with garlic around their necks.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

oh geez...

cause big foots so g-rated...what are u 12?

I'm not even close to age 12. What I am though is a forum moderator. I suggest you review the UM rules that you agreed to when you accepted the terms of service.

Here are two rules that apply:

3g. Suggestive conduct: Do not post sexually suggestive comments or content on the forums

6a. Compliance: You agree to co-operate with the requests of our site staff should you be asked to stop doing something that they deem to be disruptive, inappropriate or in violation of the terms of service.

At the very least, it is lying, and filling uneducated peoples heads with a bunch of crap. Like our younger generations are not spoon fed enough fecal matter from TV and the Internet.

Well, this was my point. As stupid and wasteful as it all is, I don't see it any different than... some celebrity endorsing $1,000 jeans, or someone funding a mountain climbing holiday with sponsors or anything like that. Are they all fraud? Yah, you could argue that I think. "Needing" $1,000 jeans is fraud.

Fraud? Just watch infomercial TV after 2-3 am.

Gullible? There wouldn't be any infomercials if there weren't buyers.

Skin-care products have legally made claims for decades that are not even physiologically possible.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Cody Lundin and Joe Teti (2013 Dual Survival) discussed bigfoot, but I only caught the last couple of seconds. Not sure if it was part of the episode I was half watching, they were in the Klamath Mt, California..

At the risk of disagreeing with everyone, it's only fraud if you make promises to people. "If you go on this expedition with me you will see a Bigfoot." That's a promise of a reasonable expectation and if you in fact have no intention of fulfilling that is fraud. However, if you're going on an expedition to teach you what to look for, how to properly make a footprint cast, how to get DNA evidence without contamination, how to howl correctly, how to tree knock. Then so long as they do that......mind you, they don't even have to take you out in the woods to do any or all of those things.

It's a bloody "how to" seminar, not unlike literally hundreds I've attended in my professional life. Oh, and that price doesn't have include anything really, food, lodging, anything. I was sent to a CAD seminar once CAD standing for Computer Aided Design to be trained on a new analytically software that was an add on to our existing package and when I arrived there wasn't a single computer in the room. We literally watched an over head presentation on what the screens looked like and after sitting through the first session I called my boss and told him to cancel everyone else he was sending because it was a joke. Unfortunately I had to remain to get what I could from the seminar then I had to train the rest of the designers in the department on how to actually use the system.

Selling tee shirts and hats and all that sort of thing is what happens at a lot of these things as well. Look at Bobo from "Finding Bigfoot" he's got more crazy caps than any redneck good old boy I know and if you go on one of the BFRO's expeditions odds are good they'll have lots of cheaply made, sucky quality caps for you to buy at the outrageously low price of only $19.99, but by God you'll be just like old Bobo. Sadly, this is not fraud, it's marketing.

Personally, I'd not spend any of my money to go on any "expedition" or training seminar, I think the BFRO requires all their field researchers to attend three seminars of increasing degrees. Not really sure on that but I think I recall reading that over on their website.

• Like 1

If anything I feel sad now. I have deliberately cut out our guys.

As I was going to move I had to stop the active exchange with our guys as I didn't want them risking coming close to the house or to others. I don't think they would have when they realized I was gone but it wasn't something to risk. I've done every thing I can to protect these guys after I learnt the hard way not to trust others.

I then spent a year out of action with illness, so now if I go for a bush walk I will sometimes get signs like calls that they are still around but thought it best to leave it alone. It's about migration time here so the group should be moving on over winter.

It makes me angry that people go out there making money, the odds of having any contact in the first night out is massive it takes months or even longer of constant multiple visits before you may get lucky enough to start making contact.

JoyOfBigFoot_zps4c09d3a0.jpg
  • Like 1

At the risk of disagreeing with everyone, it's only fraud if you make promises to people. "If you go on this expedition with me you will see a Bigfoot." That's a promise of a reasonable expectation and if you in fact have no intention of fulfilling that is fraud. However, if you're going on an expedition to teach you what to look for, how to properly make a footprint cast, how to get DNA evidence without contamination, how to howl correctly, how to tree knock. Then so long as they do that......mind you, they don't even have to take you out in the woods to do any or all of those things.

It's a bloody "how to" seminar, not unlike literally hundreds I've attended in my professional life. Oh, and that price doesn't have include anything really, food, lodging, anything. I was sent to a CAD seminar once CAD standing for Computer Aided Design to be trained on a new analytically software that was an add on to our existing package and when I arrived there wasn't a single computer in the room. We literally watched an over head presentation on what the screens looked like and after sitting through the first session I called my boss and told him to cancel everyone else he was sending because it was a joke. Unfortunately I had to remain to get what I could from the seminar then I had to train the rest of the designers in the department on how to actually use the system.

Selling tee shirts and hats and all that sort of thing is what happens at a lot of these things as well. Look at Bobo from "Finding Bigfoot" he's got more crazy caps than any redneck good old boy I know and if you go on one of the BFRO's expeditions odds are good they'll have lots of cheaply made, sucky quality caps for you to buy at the outrageously low price of only $19.99, but by God you'll be just like old Bobo. Sadly, this is not fraud, it's marketing.

Personally, I'd not spend any of my money to go on any "expedition" or training seminar, I think the BFRO requires all their field researchers to attend three seminars of increasing degrees. Not really sure on that but I think I recall reading that over on their website.

I agree.

Except some make claims that your expedition will be in an area with (known, recent) bigfoot activity.

And they talk about their encounters and have their shills talk about their encounters on the last expedition. Even the ones who are careful not to promise anything sure hype up a high level of expectation. Otherwise, who would go?

Dishonest at best. Keeping one inch from using fraudulent language to promote isn't what I'd call ethical business practices.

Maybe they can make outlandish promises of encounters as long as you sign a paper saying you understand that an encounter can not be guaranteed and you won't sue. The expedition/etc is for entertainment purposes only.

I don't care about the T-shirts and bumper stickers and hats. I'd wear them myself if I wasn't over the age of 12. That's about the age my kids quite wearing superhero and cartoon paraphernalia. Though, I would like to find a little Big Guy to hang from my rear view mirror.

Edited by QuiteContrary