Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man Dissapears Diving turns up 2 days later

morganharmony

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4534731/Mystery-as-missing-diver-turns-up-in-Hawkes-Bay

A Wellington diver who was missing for two days has turned up in a police station in Hawke's Bay.

Wellington man Colin Smithies was thought to have gone missing while diving for paua at Titahi Bay, north of Wellington, two days ago.

However, this afternoon he walked into the Clive police station, in Hawke's Bay.

"How Mr Smithies came to be in Clive is yet to be determined and police will not make any further comment until tomorrow morning, once further investigations have been completed overnight," police said in a statement.

Police today said hopes were fading for Mr Smithies by the search continued in an area similar to that searched yesterday - from Rocky Point in the south to Pukerua Bay in the north.

Mr Smithies, a Commerce Commission senior economist, was believed to have entered the water about a kilometre south of Titahi Bay beach on Monday night. The last time he was heard from was when he sent a text message to his wife about 6pm to say he had found a good spot to dive. She raised the alarm about four hours later.

A search began at 5.30am yesterday morning. Mr Smithies' vehicle was parked on a nearby road and his backpack found on a rocky point near an old sewage treatment station, where police believe he entered the water.

- additional reporting by NZPA :alien::blink:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• morganharmony

• Eldorado

• jesspy

• Habitat

• 4 weeks later...

Sea turtles, mate.

i love your avatar! i had forgotten all about the unknown comic until i saw it. so, i guess you're the unknown poster? grinzz

as for the guy who reappeared...

oooh i hate it when the news gives you half a report. well, we can't tell you this or that at this time...well, why are you having a news conference then??

edit to add:

after noticing the date on the original post in this thread i looked further for any new info on this case

here is what i found.

Diver who turned up in Hawke's Bay charged with wasting police time

Dad at loss to explain diver son's behaviour

Edited by JGirl

Because he was diving is it possible he got a minor case of the bends which afeected him mentaly. Like he became confused disoriantated etc. Hence he hitchhicked to this opther town. Or he was picked up by a passer by.

But beacuse he is now in a psych hospital I think something more substantial happened. Maybe he just snapped. We dont know what was going on in his life at the time. Attempted suicide maybe?

But for a mysterious side of this maybe he saw something under the water that shocked him. Scared him. Or he may have been abducted. Keep an eye on the story see how it pans out.

Edited by jesspy

The bloke is a kiwi. Enough said ! :P

Heeeeeyyy nothin wrong with kiwis!!! :tu:B)

Indeed not, have met some good ones.......but quality control has been a problem with some of the export models. :tu:

I've been tempted to run away from my wife and kids for a few days too... I'd probably go about it differently though, like actually arrange a trip with some friends or something...

• 2 weeks later...

Because he was diving is it possible he got a minor case of the bends which afeected him mentaly. Like he became confused disoriantated etc. Hence he hitchhicked to this opther town. Or he was picked up by a passer by.

But beacuse he is now in a psych hospital I think something more substantial happened. Maybe he just snapped. We dont know what was going on in his life at the time. Attempted suicide maybe?

But for a mysterious side of this maybe he saw something under the water that shocked him. Scared him. Or he may have been abducted. Keep an eye on the story see how it pans out.

cutest kitten in the world

He was at a party with Harold Holt.

Ha Ha

Are there any updates? I cant find anything

It's possible that he is suffering from dissociative fugue, which is pretty rare. Basically a person who experiences it, travels from home, and they can't remember their past life, or who they are, and they go by a new identity. It's usually triggered by a traumatic event. Doesn't usually last long either.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe he partook too many recreational products and was just high as a kite?

I was thinking along similar lines myself.

If he was lying in some den drunk for 3 days and not thinking much about it, it's hardly his fault there's a search party out for him. They should arrest the ones who reported him missing and leave the poor guy alone.

lol