Photo

You will be forgotten

Posted by Rlyeh , 04 July 2012 · 639 views

After my grandmother's death earlier this year I've been searching about my family history.
My grandparents use to tell stories about their parents, at the time I didn't take much notice as these people were unfamiliar to me; now looking back I see my grandparents were remembering lost family members.
My ancestors are just names to me, yet they were as real as I am today; lives of their own, happy and tragic experiences, unforgettable memories. Now gone and forgotten.
My grandparents, my parents, even me will be merely names to our descendants.

Yet each of us is unique and had our time here.  I muse over things like this when I look into the eyes of people in very old photos.  All dead and probably not a soul who remembers them yet they DID matter at one time and they had their own time and story.  I guess this is what makes family and friends so precious.
In a few million years (I think) the earth will be swallowed by the sun. Nothing will have mattered. Things only matter because we make it matter.

Alienated Being
Jul 05 2012 05:54 AM
The funny thing is, Rlyeh, is that we do not matter - our very existence is irrelevant to the continuity of life elsewhere in the universe. If you go to a beach and cut a grain of sand into 16 portions (one grain out of the entire beach filled with grains of sand), then we will equate to 1/16th of that grain out of the entire beach. That is how insignificant we are to this universe.

We have no purpose. The only reason that we think otherwise is to ensure continuity of the species.
There are some who appreciate every 16th of a grain of sand. Because you don't care about them doesn't make them not matter. Apparently, you don't matter to you. That's fine, but that doesn't mean you don't matter to something else.

Ever Learning
Jul 05 2012 08:49 AM

I close my eyes

Only for a moment and the moment's gone

All my dreams

Pass before my eyes with curiosity

Dust in the wind

All they are is dust in the wind

Same old song

Just a drop of water in an endless sea

All we do

Crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see

(Aa aa aa)

Dust in the wind

All we are is dust in the wind

White Crane Feather
Jul 05 2012 01:55 PM
Those grains of sand make the beach. You cannot have the ocean without the drops. The relative number is only a human judgment.

Nothing is ever forgotten it is a moment of time a constant. even if it were so fleeting and insignificant, by virtue of the law of diminishing marginal utility, our lives and moments are so very very preciouse.

Alienated Being
Jul 06 2012 09:56 PM

_Only, on 05 July 2012 - 06:38 AM, said:

There are some who appreciate every 16th of a grain of sand. Because you don't care about them doesn't make them not matter. Apparently, you don't matter to you. That's fine, but that doesn't mean you don't matter to something else.

Just because they are "appreciated", that doesn't mean that they serve a true purpose. This planet is insignificant. We are all insignificant. It is simply how it is. You can try to paint it any way you like, however, the final picture will turn out the same.

White Crane Feather
Jul 07 2012 04:07 PM
Insignificant to who?

Alienated Being, on 06 July 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

Just because they are "appreciated", that doesn't mean that they serve a true purpose. This planet is insignificant. We are all insignificant. It is simply how it is. You can try to paint it any way you like, however, the final picture will turn out the same.

Seriously if all is insignificant to you and the OP then why are you living? Why don't you then just kill yourselves or just STOP breathing....??? Clearly LIFE itself is a burden to you both and you don't want to LIVE because you simply see no purpose in what you are doing here in anyway... But things matter, what you do here matters in the afterlife as well, but since to you all is insignificant even DEATH will be meaningless to you guys, so you both must have no souls or desire to have NONE because you don't believe in an END destination....if all is meaningless here, then clearly all must be meaningless to you even in DEATH, what hope do you have? None it seems... As you both can't seem to look at a bigger picture... For if life is not worth living, why are you two still here and bugging other people and making them think, helping them on their spiritual paths for now and then in the next life? Your spiritual development must be all that matters, but since nothing matters to you guys why are you on sites like these searching for answers? Then you must be hypocrites no? For you are searching for something while you say you believe in nothing, how does that work? Maybe you are trying very hard not to believe in anything while you desperately want to. It is like the other poster said: you might not matter for yourself but maybe you are here for someone else, to help them through by making them think about life etc.

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tags

Categories

Latest Visitors

• Photo
      Crab People
      30 Sep 2013 - 05:22
    • Photo
      araxia