Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dream - The Deer beneath the Thunderstorm

Donnie  Darko

Alright so two nights ago I had a creepy dream and was wondering if perhaps some might be able to help me sort it out.

I was in the front of my home at night looking across the street towards my neighbors house. On the side walk sitting in lawn chairs were some of my relatives talking to the neighbors, but they weren't getting along too well. Then I noticed rumbling in the sky. There was a thunderstorm approaching. It made me wonder why they were all camping out there in the first place. As I looked around I noticed a very disturbing situation. There were several deer around and they were eating other deer. It was a frightening sight. And suddenly my mother and another relative began to scream in pure horror as if someone was in trouble. So instinctively as if to protect whomever was in trouble, I ran into the Lion's den so to speak. I ran in between all the cannibal deer and then realized I had no weapon to defend myself. And then more thunder from the ominous looking night sky and then I awoke.

Might any of you offer some insight on this disturbing dream? What I can say from real life is, I don't know my neighbors at all. We're not hostile towards each other either. I haven't been around any deer and I haven't recently seen any zombie or horror movies. Any idea as to why this would manifest as a dream?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read through it.

Hello DonnieD,

Deer- someone dear to you.

Cannibalistic deer- someone close to you (family?) is draining each others vitality.

Thunder- arguments and violent eruptions of anger.

Weaponless- feeling powerless to change the situation but willing to try.

That's my take on it.

Regards,

Mabon.

• Like 2

Deer are archetypical of the feminine. Your mother was there. You are perceiving something on another level. Something dangerous that brewing and storming.

The idea of self consumption relative to the feminine seems to be coming through. These dreams are always highly symbolic.

I hate being negative and dream interpretation of another is a dicey attempt usually the dreamer is more adapt at seeing what their own dreams symbolize or originate from, but I have had dreams like this so I can tell you how I would see it. There is a cancer somewhere. Either of thought, of person, or actually cancer. Something that originates from the feminine and consumes the feminine.

The words "breast cancer" screams at me, but this would fit well with very destructive gossip happening between women a well.

If there is more to this keep your eyes open for something synchronous with the dream then follow the bread crumb. ( example: if you see a deer in the woods and can follow it safely do so. Or if you see those neighbors out and about, make an attempt to talk to them. Anything really.)

Incidentally I'm supposed to be in the mountains camping and scouting for bow hunting. ( deer). But I had to cancel. Also last night, even though I have seen it, I read the entire plot of Donnie Darko and also S.darko. I was seeing where I could stream the second one online. Bread crumbs.

Take care.

• Like 2

Alright so two nights ago I had a creepy dream and was wondering if perhaps some might be able to help me sort it out.

I was in the front of my home at night looking across the street towards my neighbors house. On the side walk sitting in lawn chairs were some of my relatives talking to the neighbors, but they weren't getting along too well. Then I noticed rumbling in the sky. There was a thunderstorm approaching. It made me wonder why they were all camping out there in the first place. As I looked around I noticed a very disturbing situation. There were several deer around and they were eating other deer. It was a frightening sight. And suddenly my mother and another relative began to scream in pure horror as if someone was in trouble. So instinctively as if to protect whomever was in trouble, I ran into the Lion's den so to speak. I ran in between all the cannibal deer and then realized I had no weapon to defend myself. And then more thunder from the ominous looking night sky and then I awoke.

Might any of you offer some insight on this disturbing dream? What I can say from real life is, I don't know my neighbors at all. We're not hostile towards each other either. I haven't been around any deer and I haven't recently seen any zombie or horror movies. Any idea as to why this would manifest as a dream?

You tempt me to interpret your dream in terms of what I associate with its symbols.

Meanwhile, I urge you to regard deer in both more traditional and healthier ways. See

Animal Symbolism: Meaning of the Deer

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 1

Thanks to all three of you.

Mabon - That is a simple, effective way to interpret it. It makes a lot of sense actually.

White Crane Feather - It is possible, my mother has had tumors removed before...I hope it isn't the case anymore. My aunt died of cancer last year, I'm not sure I could go through this again so soon. Of thought is very possible. I've had tons of anxiety lately and it's even affecting me physically and it's mostly mental...I can't seem to shake it off.

aka CAT- Thank you. I am reading it now, certainly a more positive way to look at this.

Edited by Donnie Darko
  • Like 1

You are welcome DD. (Love the movie!!!! it's actually once of my favorites... and at least it wasn't rabbits, ;) .)

My best advice is to keep a dream journal then there are lots of places on line or traditional books about dream interpretation. Every aspect of your dreams that you can remember can be important (who, what, when, where, color, mood etc) in deciphering a dream and the dreams relate to situations/problems that people are facing while waking but haven't or sometime won't attempt to resolve while waking. The rule seems to be the more persistent/scary the dream the more the issue needs addressed.

Dream imagery is used by the mind to reveal aspects that may be too harsh for the person to accept or embrace while awake but can also because of this veiled imagery reveal more once the images are decoded. Like I sad keep a dream journal and don't forget to date them then see if the dates correspond to events in your waking world that are more (stressful, problematic, different than average) in your waking life.

Regards,

Mabon.

• Like 2

Thanks to all three of you.

Mabon - That is a simple, effective way to interpret it. It makes a lot of sense actually.

White Crane Feather - It is possible, my mother has had tumors removed before...I hope it isn't the case anymore. My aunt died of cancer last year, I'm not sure I could go through this again so soon. Of thought is very possible. I've had tons of anxiety lately and it's even affecting me physically and it's mostly mental...I can't seem to shake it off.

aka CAT- Thank you. I am reading it now, certainly a more positive way to look at this.

Well that makes sense now. I'd suggest that you are dealing with internal conflicts possibly over the death of your aunt and reconciling that with your feelings for your mother.

Most "bad" dreams are about internal conflicts.

I hope you don't have to go through any of that again either. I'm sorry if I sounded negative. Life doesn't have to fluffy because its when we dig a little bit that healing has a chance find a way through. I'm sorry for the loss of your aunt, I have been there on several occasions.

Your imagery of the dear consuming each other smacks of a perception you are having. A shaman from ages ago might call them evil spirits, but in my own altered state experiences and dream work, I have come to recognize that some of these things are perceptions that we are not consciously aware of leaking through into our dreams in the form of symbols, feelings, and circumstance.

Anyway. I hope all goes well, follow the bread crumbs, and keep a dream journal. This theme is likely to come up again until its fully resolved.

:)

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 2

Well that makes sense now. I'd suggest that you are dealing with internal conflicts possibly over the death of your aunt and reconciling that with your feelings for your mother.

Most "bad" dreams are about internal conflicts.

I hope you don't have to go through any of that again either. I'm sorry if I sounded negative. Life doesn't have to fluffy because its when we dig a little bit that healing has a chance find a way through. I'm sorry for the loss of your aunt, I have been there on several occasions.

Your imagery of the dear consuming each other smacks of a perception you are having. A shaman from ages ago might call them evil spirits, but in my own altered state experiences and dream work, I have come to recognize that some of these things are perceptions that we are not consciously aware of leaking through into our dreams in the form of symbols, feelings, and circumstance.

Anyway. I hope all goes well, follow the bread crumbs, and keep a dream journal. This theme is likely to come up again until its fully resolved.

:)

Do you believe that dreams can also be prophetic in some ways? Let me tell you the rest of the dream and then I'll tell you what I dreamt of the next night, (I think last night) and then what happened tonight.

In the dream with the deer and my mom coming out of the house screaming in terror...

I didn't mention this before, because I didn't want to become paranoid about it, but when my mom screamed in fright in the dream, I immediately thought about my younger sister. She's a young teen, we don't live together, but I began to worry about her after the dream. I sensed...if you will, that something wasn't right with her. In my dream, I assumed something was wrong with her, as if she was the one being attacked by the deer. When I ran in the middle of the deer, there was darkness and I couldn't see her, and then thunder and then I awoke. When I was awake reflecting on the dream, I hoped it had nothing to do with her since I didn't see her in the dream, I only instinctively thought of her.

The next night, I had another dream with a possible similar theme. I was at a long table eating dinner with family and friends. I don't recall who was at the table, but I recall someone getting up and smashing food in another's face. I rolled my eyes thinking, "Here we go... why can't people learn to get along damn it!?" So then when I went to leave the house I noticed there was water on the floor. Like a flood. It was only around the table and then I went to the front door to leave. When I opened the door I could barely take a step forward because there was a giant pool of water, like a lake or a pond in front of me. I didn't fall in, but I was taken aback by this odd scenery. I then awoke.

Today around 7pm there was a thunderstorm, short, but very damaging. It knocked out walls and caused power outages. Literally a 5 minute storm. When i got home I scavenged for my workout clothes and went for a run. As I power walked to the nearby North Central Park(not the one in NYC by the way, but it's called the same in my town), I got a very disturbing text from my mother. She explained that my sister (the teenager I talked about earlier) was saying some depressing things. Thinking suicidal. I almost got a heart attack I felt, because she's a positive, smart young girl. I was upset of course, I didn't know what to do...but I knew I had better do something. She's a shy girl and so I didn't want to call her and upset her further with all these questions, so I opted to text her calmly instead - inside though, I was a mess. Long story short, we worked it out and tomorrow I'm spending time with her and my mom is going to arrange for her to talk to a professional on top of that. I don't know if this is related, but the park I go to, it's full of deer and I only noticed that later as I was texting my mom and sister separately as I walked along.

Do you think it's a coincidence, or could that dream have been a warning of the coming family turmoil? I don't want to believe that...but I do find it somewhat odd.

There's alot more I texted with my sister and mom ofcourse, but that is what happened in a nutshell.

Edit - I'm saying also, I could have been wrong about the cancer being actual cancer. What if the cancer symbol is the depression my sister is going through? She used to be so sweet and loving, and she's incredibly smart and talented at playing the piano and violin. Could these thoughts she's having also be this poison?

Edited twice - Also, the lights in the neighborhood had gone out tonight from the storm, but incidentally enough, the front neighbors whom I dreamt about still had their lights on. They were outside by the side walk where I dreamt them. Not that it has anything to do either... it does however, make me more puzzled about the whole thing.

Edited by Donnie Darko
  • Like 2

Do you believe that dreams can also be prophetic in some ways? Let me tell you the rest of the dream and then I'll tell you what I dreamt of the next night, (I think last night) and then what happened tonight.

In the dream with the deer and my mom coming out of the house screaming in terror...

I didn't mention this before, because I didn't want to become paranoid about it, but when my mom screamed in fright in the dream, I immediately thought about my younger sister. She's a young teen, we don't live together, but I began to worry about her after the dream. I sensed...if you will, that something wasn't right with her. In my dream, I assumed something was wrong with her, as if she was the one being attacked by the deer. When I ran in the middle of the deer, there was darkness and I couldn't see her, and then thunder and then I awoke. When I was awake reflecting on the dream, I hoped it had nothing to do with her since I didn't see her in the dream, I only instinctively thought of her.

The next night, I had another dream with a possible similar theme. I was at a long table eating dinner with family and friends. I don't recall who was at the table, but I recall someone getting up and smashing food in another's face. I rolled my eyes thinking, "Here we go... why can't people learn to get along damn it!?" So then when I went to leave the house I noticed there was water on the floor. Like a flood. It was only around the table and then I went to the front door to leave. When I opened the door I could barely take a step forward because there was a giant pool of water, like a lake or a pond in front of me. I didn't fall in, but I was taken aback by this odd scenery. I then awoke.

Today around 7pm there was a thunderstorm, short, but very damaging. It knocked out walls and caused power outages. Literally a 5 minute storm. When i got home I scavenged for my workout clothes and went for a run. As I power walked to the nearby North Central Park(not the one in NYC by the way, but it's called the same in my town), I got a very disturbing text from my mother. She explained that my sister (the teenager I talked about earlier) was saying some depressing things. Thinking suicidal. I almost got a heart attack I felt, because she's a positive, smart young girl. I was upset of course, I didn't know what to do...but I knew I had better do something. She's a shy girl and so I didn't want to call her and upset her further with all these questions, so I opted to text her calmly instead - inside though, I was a mess. Long story short, we worked it out and tomorrow I'm spending time with her and my mom is going to arrange for her to talk to a professional on top of that. I don't know if this is related, but the park I go to, it's full of deer and I only noticed that later as I was texting my mom and sister separately as I walked along.

Do you think it's a coincidence, or could that dream have been a warning of the coming family turmoil? I don't want to believe that...but I do find it somewhat odd.

There's alot more I texted with my sister and mom ofcourse, but that is what happened in a nutshell.

Edit - I'm saying also, I could have been wrong about the cancer being actual cancer. What if the cancer symbol is the depression my sister is going through? She used to be so sweet and loving, and she's incredibly smart and talented at playing the piano and violin. Could these thoughts she's having also be this poison?

Edited twice - Also, the lights in the neighborhood had gone out tonight from the storm, but incidentally enough, the front neighbors whom I dreamt about still had their lights on. They were outside by the side walk where I dreamt them. Not that it has anything to do either... it does however, make me more puzzled about the whole thing.

Of course it can. The best interpretation of dreams is your own. It all fits dosnt it?

The further synchronous thing that you may of missed is the night before I responded to your post I was researching S. darko. The sequel to "Donnie darko" ..... It's about his sister :).

I don't really believe in accidents or random dreams everything has a purpose some mundane some not. Think about your dream carefully their may be some instructions or further revelations there. synchronoustic events, involving movies and names about synchronous events. It never ceases to amaze me.

• Like 2

Bold and red added by me to the following quote:

I was in the front of my home at night looking across the street towards my neighbors house. On the side walk sitting in lawn chairs were some of my relatives talking to the neighbors, but they weren't getting along too well . Then I noticed rumbling [of thunder] in the sky [as cloud and, later, as air]. There was a thunderstorm approaching. It made me wonder why they were all camping out there in the first place. As I looked around I noticed a very disturbing situation. There were several deer [to be equated with regrowth for the purpose of self-renewal, creative and spiritual...] and they were eating other deer. It was a frightening sight. And suddenly my mother and another relative began to scream in pure horror as if someone was in trouble. So instinctively as if to protect whomever was in trouble, I ran into the Lion's den so to speak. I ran in between all the [uncharacteristically] cannibal deer and then realized I had no weapon [resources, personal] to defend myself. And then more thunder from the ominous looking 5) night [the West, associated with the setting sun, is equated with night and meditation] 6) sky [as air] and then I awoke.

‘Donnie Darko,’

May your sister’s outlook improve and your mother remain healthy.

What follows is an attempt to replace nightmarish associations with

positive constructs for the purpose of your resting more peacefully.

Neither especially psychic nor in the habit of doing spiritual readings,

I seek less to interpret and more to reinterpret your original dream. Why?

From your description of it, it was devoid of harmony with and balance in

nature. Thence, I seek to reinforce the natural order of things by

sequentially redefining your symbols in context of a Tree of Life*, a tree

whereof we are each metaphorically a singular leaf of other unique leaves

while all of us, equally individual as vital, tap the same source.

The Tree of Life is about the give and take necessary for well-being.

1) What might you take from American Indians’ idea of relatives? A

more inclusive view of all life forms together with a broader respect for

the oneness of creation? As we are to honor both individuality and unity,

we should give thanks for the sacrifice of creatures lower on the food

chain. One creature dies to nourish another and their remains, by

replenishing the earth, provide new life and growth.

The result is the same with storms and fires, i.e. violent as can be storms,

they are necessary for life and, destructive as can be fires, they are part

of cyclic growth.

2) After embracing a broader family, what about Thunderbeings might

you share with others?--caution as to how one might conduct, direct

and best conserve his energies? With a clear path, focus effectively.

3) In regard to self-expression, especially as it pertains to authenticity and

doing what comes naturally, be free of compulsions/addictions represented

by clouds. Clouds, associated with both nourishment and despair, lack

direction. Unlike you, they cannot choose wholeness over disintegration.

Resolve dissolute habits, and realize the empowerment to live freer (more

both creatively and confidently).

4) The deer can be likened to the North in that both are associated with

renewal. Insofar as either’s posing an effective means whereby to manage

stress, maintain greater harmony and balance, the North’s being a place of

beginnings and endings that's for the sure-footed suggests you slow down

and, while regaining your strength, concentrate on both your needs (mental,

physical and spiritual) and effective uses of your energy. Open yourself to

“the gifts of wisdom, vitalization and completion.”

5)Because the sun sets in the West, it is viewed the origin of darkness (night)

and of inner time. With the above, in context of self-development, you are

urged to take pause to meditate upon “the quiet place where the Spirit rests.”

Meditation is a path to the inner self and guide, which speaks of a new path

laid out herein for the purpose of your fostering greater stability inside and

outside...Honor inwardly self and outwardly nature.

6) Finally, your vision of yourself in the future relates to air as life force.

Breathe in the best that life has to offer and exhale beauty, joy, peace and

love; inhale the Creator and exhale the best of yourself. With your lungs,

let your mind expand so that you will live more fully.

0:-) MGby&yours.

*Model of and concepts and quotes in the above are based on the

teachings of Chief Archie Fire Lame Deer.

• Like 1

Thank You both. I'll admit all this overwhelmed me last night as I realized the strange synchronicity happening right before me. Thankfully though, I slept well and I went to bed repeating "You're okay," to my self over and over again. Something simple, but it's working. Life has been full of obstacles without a moments rest it seems. Some kind of drama is always going on. I'm learning to accept that this is part of my life and that I basically have to hit the ground running with anything that life throws at me. Not running away, but just facing those problems head on as opposed to retreating in fear.

Re: fear -

I couldn’t possibly have nightmares about deer

after my having once partied with them. Many

people wouldn’t guess deer to be party animals,

but, years ago, my cousin and I discovered their

proclivity for frivolity. We had raucously stomped

down the crevice of a remote mountainside and

proceeded to frolic through a meadow as though

we were still children.

Belting out a song, I suddenly burst into laughter.

Whereupon I noticed we had a rapt audience,

I stood on my hands, propped behind a tree, and

waved one foot at them. “Hello, deer...

Have they fled yet?”

“No,” replied my cousin.

I returned to my feet and played peek-a-boo with

the stag, two does and their fawns. Encouraged

that they still had not run away, I resumed singing,

danced and gratuitously threw in a few stag leaps

between gymnastics. They politely waited for me

to exhaust my limited repertoire and even stood for

my cousin’s clowning around, which culminated

with our being doubled-over, holding our bellies,

laughing at their expressions and crying.

To tell the truth, I don’t know whether they or we

were more easily amused. Or, maybe they were

frozen with fear?--

That’s it. Just remember deer are usually more afraid

of people than vice versa. Usually, just don’t let a buck

catch you approaching his mate and/or their offspring

(I’ve seen them charge my dog before I can call her off).

• Like 1