Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Bees: not just black and yellow

bees black yellow colours kaleidoscope

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,473 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

Spectacular new images of exotic bee species in a kaleidoscope of different colours reveal that the insects are not all a humdrum black and yellow.

http://www.telegraph...and-yellow.html

Posted Image

#2    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,729 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

"Bees come in so many different shapes and sizes because there are so many sizes and shapes to flowers – the two co-evolved together..."

That's pretty darn fascinating! Kind of disappointed that there are only two photos in the article though. <_<

#3    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,580 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

Bees are cool...it's the hornet family that you need to watch out for. Trust me on this one...I know all too well.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,102 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

View PostLilly, on 30 August 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

Bees are cool...it's the hornet family that you need to watch out for. Trust me on this one...I know all too well.

Yep, can sit and watch mine all day at work...

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,151 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

Neat! But bees freak me out. Regular old honey bees... not a problem... they just don't bother anyone unless you bother them first.

It's the yellow jackets, hornets and wasps that FREAK me out.

In fact this weekend, I got totally swarmed at the beach when I grabbed a hardboiled egg out of the cooler to eat for a snack. YUCK! I probably looked like a spaz running around trying to get them away. LOL. Ixnay on eggs and any high protein food at the beach from now on. LOL.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#6    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

That first bee is pretty, I wonder if they also make honey...

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#7    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:50 AM

Bees, wasps, hornets--anything that stings--totally freaks me out. I see one (God forbid two!) and my heart races, my hands start shaking as my body goes into full panic mode. If it's an insect and it flies, it's suspect until proven to be something else...like a fly. Pesky little things.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#8    cacoseraph

cacoseraph

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

• this user is both more and less wrathful and more and less clever than he seems

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

Not all wasps are bad news.  I made friends with a foundress (like, a queen, basically) that started making a nest above my door way.  At first she and her early offspring were very suspicious of me... but eventually I could feed them fruit or honey and they would crawl all over my hand and eat it up without even signalling the alarm.  Towards the end, her workers would crawl all over me to get all the food I was offering.   Sadly, I decided to destroy the colony as relocating was beyond my abilities and my neighbors were less than understanding about the situation.

Also tagged with bees, black, yellow, colours, kaleidoscope

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users