Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Refugees Begin Hunger Strike

Dark_Grey

For those who may be unaware, Hungary has sealed it's borders in response to the migrant crisis. Razor wire fences, blocked train tunnels, etc. Hungary was not a destination for refugees, but a crossing point in to Europe.

http://www.rt.com/ne...-hunger-strike/

"Refugees stuck on the Hungarian-Serbian border have declared a sit-down hunger strike, demanding to be allowed to proceed further into the EU, according to Twitter reports.

Social media reports say refugees stuck on the border are holding banners, saying "No food no water until open border."

...I thought they were starving and poor?

• Like 3

Jesus, this will end well for them.

Putting pressure on a nation that is already feeling overwhelmed.....just a great idea.

• Like 7

If that is what they want to do, far be it from me to stop them.

• Like 8

Putting pressure on a nation that is already feeling overwhelmed.....just a great idea.

Then they should open the EU border and let them go through. Raising fences and shutting them out in a no man's land is not a solution. I don't think many Syrians are interested to dwell near Hungary much longer anyway, with it's hard-line governement and harsh, xenophobic policies.

Serbian minister in discussion with Hungary to open the door: http://news.yahoo.co...-112455664.html

Edited by Phenix20

They really don't have to do anything. Those migrants are foreign nationals attempting to illegally pass through Hungary by the tens of thousands(at least). Hungary has no responsibility for either their well being or providing them any aid.

The thing is that these refugees already are on what is considered Hungarian territory, shut between two borders.

They are attempting to seek refugee status in European countries, coming from a war zone. They have no other choice but to pass through Hungary. If they could avoid it to reach their intended destinations, I am sure they would. Europe used to be all about promoting open frontiers, but it seems things have changed.

Edited by Phenix20
  • Like 1

Well if this goes on for a while it could solve the refugee problem. :|

I know you're kidding - it reminds me of a joke I heard on a talk radio show once. They were discussing homelessness and hunger and one of the hosts said "no problem! all we need to do is feed the homeless to the hungry..."

The thing is that these refugees already are on what is considered Hungarian territory, shut between two borders.

They are attempting to seek refugee status in European countries, coming from a war zone. They have no other choice but to pass through Hungary. If they could avoid it to reach their intended destinations, I am sure they would. Europe used to be all about promoting open frontiers, but it seems things have changed.

Even if their ideology were not a proven threat, the sheer numbers could collapse local economies in these countries. Most have no skills, no money and cannot speak the language. A thousand individuals like that wouldn't be a big problem, a million is a disaster.
  • Like 9

Even if their ideology were not a proven threat, the sheer numbers could collapse local economies in these countries. Most have no skills, no money and cannot speak the language. A thousand individuals like that wouldn't be a big problem, a million is a disaster.

What was it, 2-3 months ago that a few German schools were telling their students not to dress in "provocative"(anything but long sleeve turtle-necks and long dresses/pants) clothing to avoid "misunderstanding"(rape) from the migrants being housed across the street?

• Like 5

Well, these people are fleeing for their lives, and the conditions in Hungarian camps are not good. They are sleeping in tents regardless of the weather. There aren't good sanitation conditions and clean water, and there is no medicine and rationed food. No one wants them there, so they can't get work, and these are pretty much like prison camps. They venture out of them to try and beg for spare change and they get beaten.

Ultimately, these are just people trying to survive. Any of us would do the same. If Hungary isn't going to actually help them, then maybe they should just let them pass through.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CD8QFjAHahUKEwjLqOzphfvHAhWHbR4KHYcABqc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ibtimes.com%2Froszke-refugee-camp-update-makeshift-shelter-housing-thousands-hungary-fleeing-2083497&usg=AFQjCNFvZCbox7v1ODi0h1zkybb7Lb56ag

Conditions are being compared to those of Jews in camps during the Holocaust.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

Even if their ideology were not a proven threat

So that's really what it's about? Interestingly enough, I seem to remember Christian refugees being met with the same disdain. I guess it had more to do with being brown.

There's only one answer to what would Jesus do...and it wouldn't be chuckle about them starving themselves to death.

• Like 1

So that's really what it's about? Interestingly enough, I seem to remember Christian refugees being met with the same disdain. I guess it had more to do with being brown.

There's only one answer to what would Jesus do...and it wouldn't be chuckle about them starving themselves to death.

To be fair, Jesus got nailed to some wood by people who ain't believe like him...but provoked by people who did, sorta, believe in his way (read cultural traditions without the far out non conservative way of seeing things) and brought charges up against him.

The problem is not just faith, language, culture, thought patterns, but realistically numbers.....lots and lots of numbers.

It's a lot of people coming in, quickly.

And just about no gov't is ready for that. Because. Gov't.

Edited by bubblykiss
  • Like 3

We are seeing eye to eye here.

It astounds me that people think that fleeing aliens, not fluent in the local tongue, will some how find high quality jobs and just, you know, Make It Big in another country.

These people are going to need a lot of help. From *Big G* and the locals. How long will that last?

But the thing is, when you double a population in a short time.....say, a year........which is what is happening with Arabs in Germany (read Arabs not Turks).....problems are gonna happen.

• Like 5

To be fair, Jesus got nailed to some wood by people who ain't believe like him...but provoked by people who did, sorta, believe in his way (read cultural traditions without the far out non conservative way of seeing things) and brought charges up against him.

The problem is not just faith, language, culture, thought patterns, but realistically numbers.....lots and lots of numbers.

It's a lot of people coming in, quickly.

And just about no gov't is ready for that. Because. Gov't.

I don't even know that there ever was an historic Jesus. But I do know what the book says. And it doesn't say scrape em off because they're on the wrong side of your imaginary line. It actually says something like...whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers...that you do unto me.

And you're not even talking about people who really believe that drastically different than Christians. These people are still under the Abrahamic umbrella. They would hardly be the least of brothers.

I just find it interesting how callous some people can be who claim to be Christian. It really does seem like a lot of them haven't read the book. I see people going on and on about their Christian values all the time, and then they just seem to be without any empathy at all for suffering and dying people, en masse. I mean, with this outlook that people have today on refugees, would they have argued not to take in Jews fleeing the Holocaust?

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

I don't even know that there ever was an historic Jesus. But I do know what the book says. And it doesn't say scrape em off because they're on the wrong side of your imaginary line. It actually says something like...whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers...that you do unto me.

And you're not even talking about people who really believe that drastically different than Christians. These people are still under the Abrahamic umbrella. They would hardly be the least of brothers.

I just find it interesting how callous some people can be who claim to be Christian. It really does seem like a lot of them haven't read the book. I see people going on and on about their Christian values all the time, and then they just seem to be without any empathy at all for suffering and dying people, en masse. I mean, with this outlook that people have today on refugees, would they have argued not to take in Jews fleeing the Holocaust?

No one wanted Jews after the 2nd world war.

Also Romania is planning to build a fence too and rumors Croatia might do the same

Try as you will you cannot be taken seriously when you compare what is happening with militant Islam today and the perceived offenses of Christians against secular people. And I'd point out that Christian migrants are being suppressed by the Obama administration. And Jesus would indeed help them but that doesn't mean he would approve of their actions. Christianity is not a suicide cult. I think it's Cameron's idea to help only those actually in the camps in the region who cannot flee. I don't care for the guy but I think he's spot on with that plan. The ones needing help are those whose lives are actually at risk, not those simply looking for better jobs and futures.

I tell ya what I see. I see a bunch of men that abandoned their families to save their own butts. So if we are going to help the least among us where are these women and children. I tell you where they are stuck in Syria or refugee camps abandoned by these men thinking only of themselves.

• Like 7

Try as you will you cannot be taken seriously when you compare what is happening with militant Islam today and the perceived offenses of Christians against secular people. And I'd point out that Christian migrants are being suppressed by the Obama administration. And Jesus would indeed help them but that doesn't mean he would approve of their actions. Christianity is not a suicide cult. I think it's Cameron's idea to help only those actually in the camps in the region who cannot flee. I don't care for the guy but I think he's spot on with that plan. The ones needing help are those whose lives are actually at risk, not those simply looking for better jobs and futures.

Death camps are death camps. People are dying in them of starvation and disease. It doesn't make any difference what religion they are. They're still human beings...and I thought you were pro-life. And what you're not acknowledging is that these people are fleeing militant extremists. Obviously, they aren't of them if they have to run for their lives.

I don't know what offenses you're talking about. I didn't compare any sort of militant aspect...although every religion has such an aspect. I compared religions which are under the same Abrahamic umbrella and share a lot of the same beliefs. That's simply a fact. Muslims and Christians have a lot in common.

You seem to think Islam is just a suicide cult when there are Muslims all over the world who are not blowing themselves up. It's obviously a minority of extremists who are doing the bad stuff. All of these people fleeing for their lives are leaving an area that is just being completely destroyed. They're all in danger. And when they flee they have nothing. Then they get to these camps where conditions are so deplorable, that they're still in peril of death. Of course they want to leave the camps...because the goal is to live. It's not about a "better job." Their country is blown up. They're in tent camps where they don't have clean water, sanitation, or enough food, and no medicine...and winter is coming. Any one of us put in this situation would try to keep our families alive.

Jesus wouldn't approve of people fleeing from war and trying to keep their families alive? That just doesn't make any sense.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

No one wanted Jews after the 2nd world war.

Also Romania is planning to build a fence too and rumors Croatia might do the same

You think that was right? It all sounds perfectly reasonable to anyone who is not fleeing for their lives. If you suddenly were, I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune.

• Like 1

I tell ya what I see. I see a bunch of men that abandoned their families to save their own butts. So if we are going to help the least among us where are these women and children. I tell you where they are stuck in Syria or refugee camps abandoned by these men thinking only of themselves.

I'm not sure what you're watching, but I see lots of families. And I'm sure of all those men you see, each of them has a story...and you don't know it. When people are fleeing for their lives, not everyone makes it. It's easy not to care about people if you demonize them, somehow.

• Like 2

You think that was right? It all sounds perfectly reasonable to anyone who is not fleeing for their lives. If you suddenly were, I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune.

why do i have a feeling you are jumping on the band wagon? a bite like the lion killing and the girls in Nigeria? are you jumping on the band wagon because everyone else is? If you actually cared about these people why have you waited so many years after the Syrian civil war stated? and to started to act now?

The same with the aid agencies, they waited and waited untill the last minute.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what you're watching, but I see lots of families. And I'm sure of all those men you see, each of them has a story...and you don't know it. When people are fleeing for their lives, not everyone makes it. It's easy not to care about people if you demonize them, somehow.

The UN even said 72% of them are men. So I don't know where you are getting your information. Just look at the pictures of them, very few women and children.

http://data.unhcr.org/mediterranean/regional.php

• Like 4

The UN even said 72% of them are men. So I don't know where you are getting your information. Just look at the pictures of them, very few women and children.

http://data.unhcr.or...an/regional.php

And what if there are a majority of men? Are they somehow inhuman? All that tells us is that they're the ones who managed to survive.

• Like 1

And what if there are a majority of men? Are they somehow inhuman? All that tells us is that they're the ones who managed to survive.

How many of these mostly-male "refugees" have smart phones, new designer clothing and thousands of dollars/euros to spend on the illegal immigration? They obviously weren't that bad off. Face it, the majority are just trying to get into a country with better social benefits/laws without having to build their own country up to get them.

• Like 5